Defensive Carry banner

Ammunition Background Checks

3K views 37 replies 32 participants last post by  ksholder 
#1 ·
When my wife asks me why ammo background checks would be a bad thing.... I can only reply that it will be a convince issue. Does anyone else have other answers for this riddle.

#3 ·
Lots of people are killed by cars, but it's not the cars that really kill...it's the drivers.
Should the gov have background checks for buying gasoline?

Background checks are just another way to take away rights.:hand1:

#10 ·
Here's what people have to understand. Only the most whacked-in-the-head liberals really and truly believe that such things will deter crime. The "useful idiots," if you will. That's why none of the hard statistics we can provide ever seem to amount to a hill of beans.

But the real agenda behind ideas like this are simple: to make bearing arms such a tedious proposition that a lot of people won't bother. "Let's see, now. So you want to own a gun? No problem! Nothing to it. We'll 'allow' you to have an approved single-shot .22 caliber rifle. You'll have to pay a yearly tax of 35% of whatever the value of the gun is, as assessed by us. You'll be required to house it in the local ATFE armory, but you can check it out any time you like as long as you have your ATFE approval in hand. This procedure usually takes about six months. Once the great day arrives when your paperwork is in order and we let you check your rifle out for shooting, you can step right into our convenient range and blast away! See? We respect your 2nd Amendment rights."

#6 ·
I had to take a federal exam to get my ham radio license, but I don't need to get permission from the FCC to recharge the battery in my radio.

#7 ·
Why would they be a good thing? They would do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and would further bog down an already bogged-down, ever-growing bureaucracy. The last time I bought a firearm, I, and about a dozen others, waited in the store for three hours before approval came back. Pile another check for every ammo purchase on top of that, and that wait will become days.

#9 ·
Why would they be a good thing? They would do nothing to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and would further bog down an already bogged-down, ever-growing bureaucracy. The last time I bought a firearm, I, and about a dozen others, waited in the store for three hours before approval came back. Pile another check for every ammo purchase on top of that, and that wait will become days.
That is what they are counting on.

#11 ·
Any check on a legal citizen is an infringment. It is another form of Illegal Search........ that could lead to unconstitutional seizure. Checks and records are just a backdoor 'registration' of the caliber of weapons you might own. And in the event they ever want to exercise confiscation, all of those databases (managed by the NSA and Google) will be real handy (and even have pictures of you and your fingerprints on file - not to mention your address).

Every fringe minority group (not just meaning race, but minority populations) screams to high heavens over 'Profiling.' Heck, we can't even 'Profile' terrorists, but they want to profile you, a legal US Citizen, because you buy bullets?

Registration is on the path to confiscation!

Just ask the people in New York that that were LEGAL GUN OWNERS who ended up on an interactive database because of Progressive reporting.

#12 ·
Here is the thing. I already got checked out and ok'd to buy a gun. The gun is worthless without ammo so...why check again. Is it not assumed that you will buy ammo for the gun you just got a background check for?

No it does not account for private sales. I forgot that...even still.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3

Reactions: soonershoote
#13 ·
You could kill someone with a pencil or a pen. Should we all have to submit to a government controlled background check and get approval from the government before we are permitted to purchase a writing implement?

Or kitchen utensils?

Or a hammer?

Or a screwdriver?

Or a baseball bat?

Or a golf club?

Or a 2 x 4?

Or a pipe?

Or a rolling pin?

Or a lamp?

Or a candlestick?

Or a rope?

Or a ball of twine?

#14 ·
Millions of illegal aliens cross our borders every year along with terrorists and tons of drugs. If it becomes highly profitable, ammunition will be smuggled also.

Once again, The criminals will never lack for it, only the law abiding citizens.

#15 ·
It just gives them more info about you and your habits. Info = power. I heard in MA they were considering a big tax on ammo to pay for certain gun related programs. Hope that doesn't catch on.

#38 ·
I seem to remember something about a tax in Boston - it did not go over so well. :)

#18 ·
The gun shop isn't going to ignore the cost of employees' time running the background check for a box of ammo. It costs them something to pay a clerk to run it, and that cost will be multiplied by X (profit margin) and added to the cost of a box of ammo. I for one think ammo is expensive enough already, especially lately!

Reactions: soonershoote
#20 ·
Don't know whether to laugh or cry. Looking at it from my vantage point as an old man, and thinking back on
the days when as a teen I could buy a brick of .22 ammo (and anything else in the way of ammo) at the local
hardware store, I find this whole conversation as mind bending as my iPhone, iPad, and iMac.

I don't think my poor old brain can take much more 'change' and I'm not talking politics.

#21 ·
So the real agenda and hypocrisy of the government is both indisputable and transparent. Trying to convince any objectors using facts and logic is impossible because they are not interested in the facts, only in their agenda.

Think of it this way- how many children and entire families are killed every year due to alcohol. Where is the cry for mental health checks and registration for drinkers? Why doesn't a liquor store ask for an alcohol ID card to prove someone is a registered drinker, or do a quick background check at the register anytime somebody wants to buy a bottle of bourbon, perhaps to see if they have exceeded their govt imposed limit on how many bottles they can buy in one month?

The answer is simple. Drinking doesn't interfere with the behind the scenes govt agenda to put us under one world government ( world bank, UN troops, world court, etc). Btw I drink responsibly and don't have any problem with anyone else who does the same- just trying to show how absurd the whole gun thing is.

If the governmeny wants to be our nanny then perhaps every elected official should have a mental health check before and periodically while in office. Probably an intelligence test also. Now THAT I can get behind.

Either way no one is getting any guns, ammo or magazines I have- my rights are not afforded by government- they are inalienable.

Rant over.

Carry on :)

#24 ·
Reading this thread and reflecting. Does anyone else here believe that your right to self-defense is natural and that it exists regardless of the wording or interpretation of the Second Amendment? Saying that your right is "allowed" by the Constitution is an oxymoron. The reason we have a Constitution is to make sure our autonomy is not taken from us. Sadly, we seem to want to give it away.

If I've gone too far off topic, delete or move as deemed necessary. I'm here under my own volition.

#25 ·
The constitution simply reinforces the right and protects it from being taken away by laws.

Remember laws remove freedoms.

Reactions: bombthrower77
#35 ·
I'd say if we wait that long we are already hosed. NOW is the time for war! (legislatively, not actual "war")

#29 ·
-
Because one can always buy the individual components and make their own...and because those consitutionally protected firearms are rendered useless without them.

#31 ·
Geez -- registration and we are only 1/2 step away from confiscation. But -- does anyone actually believe we haven't already "registered"? Your concealed license? Your background check? You think the gubmint has "lost" those records?

I would be willing to listen to a reason for registration if there was some rational reason to link it to criminals not breaking the law. WHAT??? criminals won't register their guns? No way.

#32 ·
You think it sucks waiting 2 hours for a background check now when people are panic buying? Try that X10 if every time you need ammo you get to wait 15mins for a check. Plus it's just one more way to regulate what we can and can not have.

#33 ·
Why can't people just leave us real americans that love our guns and respect them and our fellow americans for that matter alone? Can't they SEE truely the more they regulate the more the poop hits the fan? Can't we kick these kinds of people out of my country that I serve and protect? Why was it so easy to have Nixon not let Lennon into our country for speaking his mind the truth for that matter but yet we can't kick these kinds of people that wish us MORE harm than what a country that might actually wish is harm can do to us out so that we CAN live in a peaceful America?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.