Letter to the Editor, from ex-Brit

This is a discussion on Letter to the Editor, from ex-Brit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This Letter to the Editor is from a lady who is originally from England, but now an American citizen. I especially liked her last paragraph. ...

Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By ppkheat
  • 1 Post By Alex_C
  • 2 Post By RoadRunner71
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Letter to the Editor, from ex-Brit

VIP Member

This Letter to the Editor is from a lady who is originally from England, but now an American citizen. I especially liked her last paragraph.

Dear Editor:

For what it is worth. One womanís opinion on guns.

I grew up in United Kingdom (England) during the post World War II years. My dad had a rifle he had carried as a home guardsman during the war. My sisters and I knew where it was but never touched it. Why? Dad told us not to and we obeyed our parents.

During my years in England it was against the law to be in public possession of sugar and fertilizer at the same time. Why? Because the IRA used these items to make explosives. Did it stop the IRA from bombing restaurants, schools and shopping centers?

No, it did not.

My point. You cannot legislate responsibility or lack of it.

I do not think it is possible to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. If we could get rid of every gun in the USA it would not stop mass killings. Any fool can get on the internet and find out how to make a bomb. Gasoline can be a powerful weapon but I donít think we can do with out it.

We should protect our children from the mentally unstable with all means at our disposal. People who commit crimes with guns or other weapons should be given life sentences, at hard labor, with no hope of parole. Everyone who owns a gun should take a gun safety course and a refresher course every 5 years.

It is not fair to deprive the majority from enjoying recreational hunting and shooting because of a few radicals. We havenít banned automobiles because some people drive drunk or use their cell phones irresponsibly.

Personally I do not like to be around guns. I do own a handgun and a rifle. I know how to use them. I do not hunt. I do not drive drunk. I do not text while driving. I donít want to hurt anyone.

My biggest fear is the loss of our freedoms. Perhaps the Preamble and the original Constitution need to be read aloud on television on all channels one evening. Perhaps the President would like to read them to the nation. The Constitution would not exist today if England had not been beaten by gun toting, freedom loving, Americans.

Former Brit

American Citizen

for 21 years
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Rest assured, Former Brit, we will not take away the guns that are enjoyed by recreational hunters and shooters... Those guns are either exempted or "grandfathered under" the new law.

Yours truly,

DiFi
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

As an ex-Brit, now American citizen, I know exactly where she is coming from. She speaks a lot of truth and contrary to popular belief, amongst rural England there is a lot of hatred for their gun and personal defense laws.

We cannot let the USA become the same way, yet I see the signs of it coming every day.

"For everyone's safety we have to ban guns. We must also cover the land in CCTV cameras to the extent the average person is seen by over 300 of them a day. We need to tax you more for your car and the roads you use to discourage driving and help the environment. Now more people are using public transport we have to tax you for that to keep up with maintenence costs. We must also tax you to own a television because the BBC doesn't want to run commercials. We must take your money and give it to illegal immigrants to give them a chance at life, so more taxes. They will need a place to pray, so we're tearing down your church to make way for a mosque. Guess what? You have to pay for that too, so more taxes. You somehow managed to legally own a firearm and used it in self defense? You're a murderer. Life in prison and you must pay the medical and funeral expenses of your attackers. Keep calm and carry on, we know what's best for you."

Don't let it happen here.
    wmhawth likes this.

VIP Member
    A well written letter. Clearly this person understands and uses "common sense" - I don't mean that in the new meaning (as in: "common sense gun laws" - whatever that is).

I like the idea of having Mr. Obama read the Constitution on air. It would probably the first time for him.
    mano3 and JoJoGunn like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Well if being in possession of Sugar and Fertilizer at the same time were outlawed,a lot of the people in DC could never possess sugar
    mano3 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links