Another great night for Virginia gun owners!

Another great night for Virginia gun owners!

This is a discussion on Another great night for Virginia gun owners! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By DaveH
  • 1 Post By Old Virginia

Thread: Another great night for Virginia gun owners!

VIP Member

Thumbs up Another great night for Virginia gun owners!

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Great job, VCDL! All of the gun bills that VCDL strongly opposed are now dead! Even better, an important pro-gun bill passes out of subcommittee.

This morning Delegate Bob Marshall's bill, HB 2340, which prohibits any state or local government employee from aiding the federal government in enforcing new gun laws passed after December 31, 2012 (VCDL STRONGLY SUPPORT), passed out of the Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #2 this morning by a 5 to 3 vote!

Voting pro-gun: Delegates Cline, Edmunds, Wilt, O'Quinn, Head

Voting anti-gun: Delegates Filler-Corn, Hope, Lopez

The bill will be heard by the full committee tomorrow, Friday, at 9 AM in House Room C.

---

This evening the remaining gun-control bills that VCDL STRONGLY OPPOSED were KILLED in the House Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #1:

HB 1410, Jim Scott, disarms individuals who have committed certain *misdemeanors.* This bill was withdrawn by Delegate Scott.

HB 2221, Hope, added those who are unable to own a gun due to mental illness to the list of people that a person cannot knowingly give or sell a gun to.

HB 2240, Cosgrove, provides more information on disqualified gun owners to the federal NICS system. This bill was one that VCDL switched from opposed to neutral, based on a clarification. This bill may be brought back up again.

HB 2251, Lopez, bans magazines that hold more than 20 rounds. This bill was particularly evil, having a registry and a limit of 3 such magazines a person can have TOTAL. Delegate Gilbert provided a quote by Stalin during the hearing: people who ignorantly promoted communism were "useful idiots." Gilbert didn't say that Lopez was such an idiot, but Lopez took offense anyway. All I can say is, if the shoe fits, wear it. Looking at the onerous items in that bill, it is definitely a shoe in Lopez's size.

HB 2263, Krupicka, allows the police to temporarily confiscate a person's guns if in the opinion of a mental health professional a person has verbalized a threat of suicide or harming others. Not adjudication is required to take someone's private property by force. That is not good.

HB 2281, Ward, requires that stolen guns be entered into the VCIN system. The subcommittee felt this bill did nothing useful.

HB 2327, Brink, reinstates One Handgun a Month.

-----

The following pro-gun bills were passed out of subcommittee or carried over until next week:

HB 1592, Cole, allows private schools and child day centers to have armed security guards. Passed out of subcommittee.

HB 2317, Anderson, allows armed force members who commute from nearby states to a permanent duty station in Virginia to be able to purchase guns here. Carried over until next week.

HB 2342, Lingamfelter, allows CHP holders to get an expedited background check when purchasing a gun. Carried over until next week.

----

I would like to thank EM Greg Trojan for representing VCDL at the meeting of the Governor's Task Force on school safety. I had a time-conflict because I had to attend the House Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #1 hearing. Besides VCDL speaking in favor of Delegate Bob Marshall's bill, HB 1557, to permit school boards to appoint certain trained people to carry concealed handguns to defend schools, Professor John Lott spoke on that bill, too.

VCDL's defensive game is now pretty much over at the state level (federal level is going to continue for some time) and we can focus on the offense - getting the remaining pro-gun bills onto the Governor's desk. Soon we will be sending out more emails to our legislators to that effect.

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org [http://www.vcdl.org/]

VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).
    ---
    -------

Dave back here.

Thanks to all VCDL members and all the others who got involved. Look in the mirror. You are the gun lobby. The leadership could not have done it w/o you.

There is no question in my mind the 700 + folk who joined us in Richmond for lobby day and the flood of e-mails and phone calls was a major factor. True, the desire of the parties' leadership to protect the swing districts (by avoiding roll call vote that might effect the election) was a driver. However, the turnout at lobby day and the bombardment of opinion on bill-after-bill just underscored the what-was-in-play-to-be-lost by opposing freedom.

A reporter hyped in a blog about what a
    minority of citizens we represent. I posted back, 1) what % of the actual voters do we represent? 2) what is the % of the votes in the typical margin of victory for most districts do we repersent. Crickets in reply.

IMHO, all gun-owners need to step up the the plate at the national level. Get involved. Stay involved.

to each of you -- the real lobby for the RKBA.

Last edited by DaveH; January 25th, 2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: cleaned up some wording
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thank you for the update and the excellent work of the VCDL. Also a reminder vor Virginians if you have not contacted our Senators yet, please do so to let them know how you feel. Together we can win this battle that is in front of us !!! God Bless

Thank you!
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Great
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

mkh
    That's great news for Virginians. Congrats.

This ole NC boy is proud if his Virginia neighbors.

Donnie D
    "When the people fear government, there is tyranny, when government fears the people, there is liberty"

Glad to hear some good news for a change. I can't image what being a gun owner in NY is like, so glad to live in a mostly pro-gun state.

DC
    Thanks to VCDL making it easy to do, I'll keep on sending those emails.

This last list of victories is very encouraging.

I wish all the states had something like we have here in Virginia with the VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League). If they did, and it was run as well as our organization, we would have greater gun rights nation wide, NRA or not. VCDL does not just defend the 2A---it goes on offense to regain rights lost in our past! That's what I like. If anyone from a state without a real effective gun rights organization like VCDL wants to start one, I wish they would contact our website and ask for help in how to start one. Our president does work (volunteer) his tail off for the cause, so I'm not sure if every state would have such a self-sacrificing person as we have available. Fortunately, our membership does respond in great numbers when the email call goes out to be somewhere at the right time to guide our politicians to "do the right thing!" Being free and keeping Liberty alive is NOT easy.
    crossfireltd likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Virginia View Post
    I wish all the states had something like we have here in Virginia with the VCDL (Virginia Citizens Defense League).
    email call goes out to be somewhere at the right time to guide our politicians to "do the right thing!" Being free and keeping Liberty alive is NOT easy.
    Old Virginia,

I passed your comment on to the rest of the VCDL leadership.

A number of them replied that they hoped that I had thanked you for your kind remarks, or replies to that effect.

Thought that I would do it publicly -- so, "Thank You."

BTW, look me up an the next Lobby Day and/or meet some of the rest of the crowd at a VCDL meeting down in Tidewater.

Dave Hicks, VCDL Executive Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Good progress and good news. I just wish we did not have to fight so hard to protect rights that should be respected by all.

VIP Member

Reality is dawning on the Antis in Virginia

Gdad, an anti-RKBA regular on Dan Casey's blog opened today's “Open” thread by posted the following scornful sarcasm http://tinyurl.com/alkjy9r :

I see from today’s story in the RT that the gun worshipers and their minions in the GA have truly entered the nutter realm. Arrest federal agents, Obama plantation, ordering state employees to possibly hinder federal crime investigations. I’m beginning to think I MIGHT have to buy a gun to protect myself from VCDL and VGOC nut cases.

Comment by gdad — January 26, 2013 @ 9:38 am

I responded with an equally sarcastic:

Re: gdad @ 9:38 am

Glad to see that you have finally seen that defensive sidearms have a valid purpose — self-deference. (Or were you envisioning just a nice Bushmaster for home use?) In either case, glad to see that you examined and evaluated of the relevant information as to the tools available for self-preservation and that you selected the best course of action from among various alternatives/tools. In any case, good to see some enlightenment from an unexpected quarter.

Unfortunately, Your risk analysis is significantly flawed, IMHO.

You might want to rethink that part.

Comment by Dave Hicks — January 26, 2013 @ 12:37 pm

In any case, it is dawning on the Sandy hookers that their expected cake-walk (to an Authoritarian drumbeat) toward prohibition is in trouble – at least in Virginia.

In fact on other threads, the Antis are crowing about how national law WILL trump State law.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links