The Real Prize of Gun Control

This is a discussion on The Real Prize of Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading lots of articles about gun control. They come from different sources, the news media, the Internet, various gun suppliers, and even our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: The Real Prize of Gun Control

Senior Moderator

The Real Prize of Gun Control

I've been reading lots of articles about gun control. They come from different sources, the news media, the Internet, various gun suppliers, and even our elected officials and one thing is becoming painfully clear.
    The Citizens of this country are being flooded with enough information,disinformation, some truth, a lot of lies and lots of fabricated statistics that have about as much truth as a politician telling you that they don't want your money.

I have read more "polls" that I can remember, even voted on a few of them and there is one word that is common to most of them.

There is so much information being passed around that if one did not already have their mind made up, it might be quite confusing as to which way to go on this whole gun control scheme. Notice that I said scheme, because that is exactly what it is...a scheme. Some people use children as tools to stand behind them to invoke emotion, others hold up a so called "assault weapon" to make a point, others even tear up, look down, rub their hands and implore us to understand the importance of controlling gun ownership so that me may become even more of a "civilized society" while wanting you to believe that by somehow giving up the guns that they don't like, it will make the world a safer place.

Lots of discussion have popped up about right of ownership, the Second Amendment, Tyranny,High Capacity Magazines,what an "assault weapon" really is and what it isn't, Confiscation, Registration, Universal Background Checks...a new word introduces into the mix right after the Sandhook event took place, limiting the number of bullets one should own,or could own, the Internet forums are all buzzing with conversations that include some or all of the above words.

For those that say constantly spouted off about gun control, or confiscation of guns couldn't happen here in the United States of America because, we are the United States, these same people that frequented every gun board on the Internet have remained silent due the recent law passed in New York where some silly Legislators living in their own little worlds actually discussed Confiscation of assault weapons.Thats right....the discussed sending someone to your house to get your guns. The law in New York may be a blessing in disguise for those that refused to believe, those that were to naive, those that were too simple or stupid, to think that it couldn't happen here. Maybe, just maybe, some of them woke up.

One thing is becoming painfully clear here. Most of the proposals are broad enough in scope that they don't have much of a chance of being passed. Even some of the anti-gun politicians are decrying Fiensteins proposals as being "way out" with little chance of passing. Lets not forget, that our Senators, Congressman and most other politicians no matter how high the office, got their because they understand how to negotiate.

They know that if you make something sound so ridiculous, that if you add lots of chaff to the idea, that part of the negotiation is to "throw away" many parts of the bill that you never really wanted or cared about anyway, parts that you threw in there as bargaining chips to make it look like that you were willing to compromise and giving the illusion of being "sensible" about the whole process.

Its my opinion that much of what we are seeing with these gun proposals is just that....part of the fluff and buff meant to be discarded.

Its done in a way that when we do compromise, we feel good about ourselves because we talked them out of the things that we really feared could pass, which in reality, they could have cared less about in the first place. They fire you up,suck you in, make you feel terrible, then offer some tidbit that makes you breath a sigh of relief, and then you agree to the one thing that they really wanted in the first place...a new word or a new verse that you never even heard about a couple of months ago.

I keep seeing one phrase pop up that I believe it the prize of the Democratic Party, and even some Republicans and those that really do think that we are just sheep to be herded around.

It is: Universal Background Checks. Think about it. As is stands now, private party transfers of guns are legal. You can sell a friend one of your guns without a background check. That scares those that want more power, because as it is, they don't know what you are doing. They will stop at nothing to advance that one simple goal of Universal Background Checks, they will use every trick in the book to make is sound like the right thing to do, they will fabricate reasons to make it sound like we "need" it and they work night and day to see that it passes.

Many people, even some of our members here say, "whats so bad about that? " without understanding that its not about anything other than control. Its not about safety, its not about the kids, it not about living without fear, its about control, and like any other gun control scheme, thats all it has ever been about and that is all it will ever be about.

It is my prediction that when the smoke clears, the rhetoric dies down and professional liars quit standing behind the pulpit and banging their fists demanding that something be done, if nothing else gets passed, most of us will breath easy and believe that we "dodged a bullet" and consider our selves victorious with out realizing the the noose continues to tighten around our necks. Not a whole lot, but little by little so that we can get used to the new feel without becoming alarmed.

And so our right to bear arms gets nibbled away bit by bit, piece by piece until we wake up one day and realize that we have none.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Universal Background Checks does sound so benign as to be acceptable but as you say it is the camel’s nose under the tent that will only lead to more “common sense” controls “for our own good”.
    Spirit51 and surefire7 like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    The volume of manpower and paperwork required by universal background checks would, in and of themselves bring commerce in firearms to a screeching halt. Top that off with mag capacity limitations, and everyone will be owning a bunch of now-illegal gear they can't sell, own or give away, just like in New York.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Re: The Real Prize of Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is my prediction that when the smoke clears, the rhetoric dies down and professional liars quit standing behind the pulpit and banging their fists demanding that something be done, if nothing else gets passed, most of us will breath easy and believe that we "dodged a bullet" and consider our selves victorious with out realizing the the noose continues to tighten around our necks. Not a whole lot, but little by little so that we can get used to the new feel without becoming alarmed.

And so our right to bear arms gets nibbled away bit by bit, piece by piece until we wake up one day and realize that we have none.
    Just like the frog in the pot.....

Sent from my phone using Dumb Thumbs

They should call them what they really are. Universal Prostate Exams.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    I am not a computer geek any any sretch of the imagination, but anybody who thinks that the Govt won't have some way to maintain a log of those backgroun checks is fooling themselves. From a list of backgound checks, it would be a relatively simple step to compile lists of gun owners and what they have bought. I don't think that recorded sales of ammunition will be all that far behind..........
    MrsHB and surefire7 like this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Yep. It's a slow, patient, deceptive process. They start with "assault" rifles, which as we all know, would only be owned by pathological murderers and other criminals. If that weren't the case, then why would anyone "need" a 30-round "clip' or a "machine gun" like that?

Next it might be shotguns, because our wonderful freedom-loving Vice President told us that a double-barrel shotgun is more effective anyway. Note the "double-barrel" part. I'm sure that those evil pump-action types that can hold six rounds or more would only be owned by someone who plans to shoot up an elementary school. And if it has a pistol grip, then the owner is certainly up to no good, because if he weren't, why would he 'need" a pistol grip except to control the weapon better as the elementary school children are trying to run away?

Next comes concealed carry. Why would anyone "need" to carry concealed unless they had criminal intentions? Why not carry openly like any honest person would?

Now let's talk about caliber. A .38 Special can shoot airplanes out of the sky, so why does anyone "need" such a large caliber? I'll bet the media can show us images of innocent children who were torn limb to limb, whose bloody carcasses had to be identified by dental records, by a single .38 Special round. A .25 might be okay as long as the person can't have more than three bullets at a time, because hey, "we respect your 2nd Amendment rights!"

Meanwhile, Mr. Couch Potato and Mrs. Soccer Mom, who VOTE, are watching these grisly results on the TV every night. They begin to shudder at the thought of someone coming around with a concealed .38 Special, that terrifying Weapon of Mass Destruction. But fortunately for them, they have our glorious President Barack Hussein Obama, who walks on water and can leap tall buildings in a single bound, who will protect them with a "reasonable" discussion about guns.

So yeah, it's coming slowly but surely.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Yep, you nailed it.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    "And so our right to bear arms gets nibbled away bit by bit, piece by piece until we wake up one day and realize that we have none. "

I agree with everything you said until the above statement. I just don't personally believe 2A will ever go away completely. It may in many years to come not be what we all think it should be but I believe the right to bear arms will always be a right we have. And yes we need to defend that right as much as possible without killing each other over it. And if you are correct, by that time we will all be pushing up daisy's and we will no longer have a personal stake in the outcome.
    Last edited by dben002; January 25th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Senior Moderator
    I agree with everything you said until the above statement. I just don't personally believe 2A will ever go away completely
    I sincerely hope that you are right.

History and human nature proves otherwise. Its not a matter of "if". Its just a matter of "when".
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You are correct, Sir, which is why we need to be extraordinarily careful as we study and analyze our positions.

Many people, even some of our members here say, "whats so bad about that? " without understanding that its not about anything other than control. Its not about safety, its not about the kids, it not about living without fear, its about control, and like any other gun control scheme, thats all it has ever been about and that is all it will ever be about.
    Control, whether it be guns, transfats, or 32 OZ Sodas, it's all about control. Just look at California and NY if you want to see where that path goes..........
    HotGuns, PAPADALE1 and TX expat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It is: Universal Background Checks. Think about it. At is stands now, private party transfers of guns are legal. You can sell a friend one of your guns without a background check. That scares those that want more power, because as it is, they don't know what you are doing. They will stop at nothing to advance that one simple goal of Universal Background Checks, they will use every trick in the book to make is sound like the right thing to do, they will fabricate reasons to make it sound like we "need" it and they work night and day to see that it passes.
    Think about it...this could work!
    The criminals would then have to get background checks when giving or selling their stolen guns to other criminals. What a great way to finally solve the gun problems.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If they get UBCs passed, then the next logical progression is "The only way they can ensure people do this is to register every gun." THAT is the ultimate goal, this is just the first step in that direction.
    msgt/ret, MrsHB, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: The Real Prize of Gun Control

Hot Guns

For once (well, maybe a bit more.) I agree with everything in your fist post.

They will "settle" as will many gun owners, for universal background checks.

Perhaps, so that there will not be extra fees involved, they will make it possible to do same at the police dept, or the sheriff's office. (like they've got time to do it)

Oh, but wait! There's more! Since the background checks are universal, the criminal class will be going right to their nearest law enforcement center to xfer their weapons! Whoa! Fighting crime will cost so much less that way.... Why, it's a Win-Win!

Better than Sham Wow! Ay?

I will not be pleased if anything passes... Especially UBCs.
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

I am against ALL forms of gun control,,,,, I believe the 2nd amendment gives you the right
    to OWN whatever you can afford,,,,, I believe you SHOULD NOT HAVE TO PAY YOUR STATE
    TO ALLOW YOU TO CARRY A PISTOL,,,, they are just trying to get POWER & CONTROL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links