Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post

This is a discussion on Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You're right. Fortunately, I've got a Congressman who seems to support the 2A, so I wrote out a lengthy address to him and changed relevant ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    You're right.

Fortunately, I've got a Congressman who seems to support the 2A, so I wrote out a lengthy address to him and changed relevant parts to send to the Senators. They got a canned message as a preemptive attack to their canned messages.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

2. Remove Ads

Here's my response from Hickenlooper......basically say nothing at all....
    Dear Geoff:

Thank you for writing regarding gun control in Colorado. This is an important
    subject, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and concerns.

Throughout the past six months in Colorado and across the nation, we have
    experienced an unprecedented level of tragedy due to gun violence. The shooting that
    occurred in Aurora on the night of July 20th is an event that will remain in our
    hearts and minds forever. And while our lives will never be the same again, these
    experiences showed the strength and resilience of individuals to come together as a
    community. Now, as a community, we must come together to discuss ways we can prevent
    similar tragedies in the future.

Your letter is one of thousands we have received expressing sympathy and sharing
    your opinions on everything from banning assault weapons, to increasing mental
    health availability, to the rights of citizens to carry concealed weapons. The
    diversity of opinions on how best to address this issue is proof positive that we
    should not shy away from this discussion. We are confident that through thoughtful
    and mindful debate we can find reasonable solutions that respect the rights of
    law-abiding Coloradans to own firearms while maintaining the health and safety of
    our communities.

This is a multifaceted issue and part of this dialogue should focus on mental health
    access. So, we have asked the Colorado General Assembly to support a comprehensive
    overhaul of our state’s mental health system so we can better identify and help
    people who are a threat to themselves and others.

This is a conversation that will continue throughout the course of this legislative
    session, so we also encourage you to share your thoughts with your legislators. To
    contact the House of Representatives, please call 303-866-2904. To contact the
    Senate, please call 303-866-2316. These contacts will direct your call to the
    appropriate office. Or, you can find your legislators online at
    Colorado Webmaps

Once again, thank you for your input, and for taking the time to contact our office.
    We will keep your thoughts in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Office of Governor John W. Hickenlooper

Colorado guys...

Don't waste your time sending rational, thought out e mail to Bennett or Udall, they will never see them, some staffer will scan it, and pick the closest matching canned reply.

If you want to send something just put REMEMBER 1994 or to keep within their reading comprehension level just put 1994

All they ever see is numbers for pro or con on an issue; I am trying to get them both flooded with "1994" messages.
    I send them rational letters as I am not irrational. If they continue their position, or show no movement away from the Anti-2A, then I become more forceful. I well realize they never read the letters, but I recognize they are doing a tally of the correspondence.

I start nice, then when and if the conversation continues, I push harder and harder. Bennet was reminded of his political expendability this morning. He's a Hickenlooper 2008 appointment that survived a weak race in 2010, so he's up again in 2016. Udall is up in 2014. I remind them of their re-election endeavors in every letter. Sometimes nicely, sometimes a wee bit less nicely.

"Remember 1994" is a nice tag line too!
    bmcgilvray and Darrow75 like this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Colorado Democrats want gun manufacturers held liable for crimes committed with their guns

Colorado Democrats want gun manufacturers held liable for crimes committed with their guns | Fox News

The owners and makers of assault-style weapons could soon be held legally liable in Colorado for crimes committed with their guns, if sponsors of a new gun-control package have their way.

State Democrats unveiled the broad package of measures this week, joined by gun violence survivors from the Columbine, Aurora and Sandy Hook shootings.

The eight bills detailed at a press conference Tuesday tackle gun control as well as mental health issues tied to gun violence. Among them are measures to put universal background checks in place for private gun sales and a bill to ban sales of high-capacity ammunition magazines.

But getting the most attention is the gun manufacturer-liability measure.

“This is the most aggressive anti-gun legislation ever floated in the country,” Republican Sen. Greg Brophy told FoxNews.com Thursday. “To hold everybody in the entire chain of possession responsible for a crime committed by one person? The manufacturer, dealer and owners? That’s equivalent to blaming Coors for a drunk driver and the 7-Eleven after someone steals a 12-pack.”

The proposal would hold manufacturers of firearms, as well as sellers, responsible for crimes committed with those guns. The measure apparently conflicts with an existing federal law, but Democrats in the state reportedly say they want to get that federal law repealed.

Republicans say the gun liability measure would effectively ban those weapons because manufacturers and retailers would be afraid to sell them.

While Democrats hold a majority in both state houses, though, getting the sweeping series of bills passed will be an uphill battle.

Colorado has taken center stage in the country’s fight over gun control. David Keene, the head of the National Rifle Association, is in Denver to meet with Democratic Gov. John Hickenlooper and Senate President John Morse.

Keene called universal background checks a political "sweet spot," during an interview with The Associated Press on Thursday. He added that the current background check systems are underfunded and that forcing them on private sales would be logistically difficult.

Colorado’s governor has said in the past he supports background checks, but he has remained publicly quiet about the legislative package introduced earlier this week.

“The governor is hiding under his desk when it comes to answering the hard questions,” Brophy said. “It took me 30 seconds to figure out what the plans do. The governor shouldn’t be given a pass. He needs to address the issue.”

Calls for comment to the governor’s office were not immediately returned.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

In a state that prefers smoking pot to smoking guns... what else can you say?
    68blackbird likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I hope I can move back to GA some day. It sure is beautiful out here but I miss being in a red state.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Write to your Senator, your Representative, the Governor, and ALL of the Officers of the Senate and the House.

We need to show the Democrats we have a voice and they will lose their jobs if they let this legislation move forward.

The Bills need to die in Committee. The sooner the better.

Get the correct addresses here:

Colorado General Assembly
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Too many Kommie-fornicators have invaded the state from the west. I love the geography where I am, but come retirement I just may have to take my retirement money and head for Wyoming.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    Too many Kommie-fornicators have invaded the state from the west. I love the geography where I am, but come retirement I just may have to take my retirement money and head for Wyoming.
    We have 6 acres in the Black Hills outside of Custer, SD and are also looking at stuff in Utah (have some cool friends there) and also AZ.
    I'm not quite 50 yet, but am planning on semi-retiring in the next few years, and the Wifey's job can be done where ever there is internet and an airport within an hour.....gonna be easy if we have to split.
    It's just sad, though.

Here's my latest response:

From the Desk of Senator Mark Scheffel
    February 8, 2013
    Update from the Capitol

At a press conference on Tuesday, Democrats rolled out their gun control agenda for the current legislative session in a series of eight widespread and far-reaching proposals that would limit Second Amendment freedoms and do nothing to make Coloradoans safer.

Possibly the most disconcerting news is the proposal that would create strict liability for manufacturers, sellers, owners, and possessors of certain kinds of firearms.

As these bills are introduced in the coming weeks and proceed through the process, I will work diligently with my colleagues to stop these proposals. I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, and believe that these constitutionally guaranteed freedoms and liberties should not be infringed upon.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

Got this from the NRA-ILA today. Makes me

Colorado: First Wave of Anti-Gun Legislation Officially Introduced in Denver

Earlier this week, a comprehensive gun control package aimed at disarming and criminalizing law-abiding citizens was unveiled in Denver. While not all the proposals have been introduced, below is some of the drafted legislation that serves to punish the lawful and ignore criminals’ misuse of firearms:

House Bill 1224: Would ban the sale, transfer or possession of a magazine capable of holding more than ten rounds of ammunition. Those who currently own magazines that hold more than ten rounds would be able to keep them in their possession, but would be unable to sell or transfer them! Furthermore, any magazine larger than ten rounds that is manufactured in Colorado on or after the effective date of HB 1224 must include a serial number and date of assembly. Not only will this increase the cost of magazines, it could force law-abiding citizens who currently possess unmarked magazines larger than ten rounds to produce evidence that they possessed the magazines before the ban was enacted.

House Bill 1226: Would overturn the state Supreme Court ruling that decisively concluded that individuals who obtain a Concealed Weapons Permit cannot be denied their right to carry a firearm for self-defense on college campuses. This bill will only create more failed “gun-free zones” that are so often the target of criminals and madmen.

House Bill 1228: Would saddle law-abiding gun owners by imposing an undetermined fee (gun tax) for undergoing a background check through the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI) InstaCheck system. The CBI InstaCheck program is failing in its duties and cannot process or handle the volume of checks seen in the last few months. Recently, the Colorado Legislature denied a $500,000 request from CBI to expedite the backlog of checks. Instead, HB 1228 would punish gun owners by forcing them to pay for a defunct program that blatantly impedes their constitutional right.

House Bill 1229: Would criminalize the private transfer of all firearms, even between certain family members! Under HB 1229, you will be forced to undergo a criminal investigation if you wish to purchase a firearm from certain family members, friends and co-workers. This system can only be enforced with gun registration. And, as we know from experiences in California, Canada and Australia, gun registration enables gun confiscation—only from honest citizens—since criminals are not subject to registration or submit to criminal investigations.

More legislation is expected to be introduced within the coming days, so please stay tuned to NRA-ILA | ILA Home for updates on the status of your firearms freedoms in the Centennial State.

It is imperative that you contact your state legislators TODAY and express your opposition to these restrictive and discriminatory gun control measures and any proposed legislation that would infringe upon your Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

For help identifying your elected state officials and their contact information, please click here.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Wow...those are really disturbing proposals. Hope they don't get through.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

I emailed both my state Senator and Representative last week specifically asking their intentions on how they would vote on these upcoming measures and telling them my intentions to work against their efforts to be re-elected if they were to vote yes on any of these measures. I got a nice canned response from Mike Johnston saying nothing and a one sentence "thanks for your opinion" response from Beth McCann..not really a surprise since she sponsored or co-sponsored at least half of the legislation being proposed. I will be gone from Colorado by the time they are up for re-election but I can still strongly encourage all of my friends here to vote these spineless jellyfish out.

Here's what I got from the NRA today. I can't go due to my wife's surgery Tuesday, but if you can go, please do so!

Colorado: We Need You to Attend Committee Hearings Opposing Anti-Gun Bills This Tuesday and Wednesday in Denver

Late last night, in hopes of allowing little time for your opinions to be voiced, anti-gun legislators in Denver announced public hearings on four anti-gun bills that were introduced last Thursday.

We need you to come to the state Capitol on Tuesday, February 12 and Wednesday, February 13 to show your opposition and speak against the following anti-gun bills:

On Tuesday, February 12, House Bill 13-1224 and House Bill 13-1229 are scheduled to be heard in the House Judiciary Committee in the Old Supreme Court Chamber in the Capitol upon adjournment of the House. HB13-1224, sponsored by state Representative Rhonda Fields (D-42), would ban magazines that hold more than ten rounds. HB13-1229, sponsored by state Representatives Rhonda Fields and Beth McCann (D-8), would prohibit and criminalize the private transfer of firearms.

On Wednesday, February 13 House Bill 13-1226 will be heard by the House Education Committee upon adjournment in the Old Supreme Court Chamber, and House Bill 13-1228 will be heard by the House Finance Committee at 1:30 pm in the Old Supreme Court Chamber. HB13-1226, sponsored by state Representative Clare Levy (D-13), would repeal the current right to carry a concealed firearm for self-defense on a college or university campus. HB13-1228, sponsored by state Representative Lois Court (D-6), would require law-abiding citizens to pay a fee (or gun tax) for a background check when purchasing a firearm.

We need you to come to the state Capitol on Tuesday, February 12 and Wednesday, February 13 to tell state legislators, especially those serving on these committees, to vote NO on HB13-1224, HB13-1226, HB13-1228 and HB13-1229. Without your direct help this next week, these anti-gun legislators will steal away your Second Amendment rights! Please come to the state Capitol in Denver no later than 9:00 am to respectfully protect your rights. For more information about testifying at the state Capitol, please click here.

If you are unable to attend these important public hearings, it is imperative that you contact your state legislators TODAY and express your opposition to these anti-gun measures. For help identifying your elected state officials and their contact information, please click here.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

Wish I could go but unfortunately I will be in California next week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links