Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post

This is a discussion on Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please see my last post on Page 3: We need to write Letters ASAP I decided to start a thread to consolidate Gun Control legislative ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post

Exclamation Colorado: CALL TO ACTION! E Mail Addresses Added Last Post

Please see my last post on Page 3: We need to write Letters ASAP

I decided to start a thread to consolidate Gun Control legislative information for Colorado taxpayers. It is clear that Colorado is considered a bell-weather state for the Gun Control Zealots, and with the MAIG opening a lobbying office in Denver, as well as a bunch of liberal namby-pamby legislators, we need to act, and act now. The goal of the thread is to consolidate information on legislators that support the 2A and those that do not support the 2A. I am not going to distinguish between the assaults on our liberties at the state level, which will be vigorous, and those at the federal level. They all deserve equal attention.

As more information is learned, feel free to post it. A couple of great resources are the Ruger Site (to e-mail your state and federal reps) and the NRA Site which does likewise.

Ruger: http://www.ruger.com...takeAction.html; and

NRA: NRA-ILA | Write Your Reps

I will be adding additional links for the state House and senate.

Here is a thread on Bennet's response to constituent letters:

Michael Bennet Openly Opposes the Second Amendment

Here is Bennet's response:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Senator Feinstein's assault weapons ban proposal. I appreciate hearing from you.
    The numerous tragedies that our nation has had to face over the past year have been staggering. My own family, like all Americans, has been repeatedly shocked and deeply saddened by the violence we have witnessed, and my heart continues to be with the victims and their families. As Coloradans, we know how this type of tragedy can shake a community to its core and in the aftermath of these abhorrent acts our priority should be on supporting the survivors and families, and healing our communities.

We must have a real discussion in this country about finding ways to stop these senseless shootings. I believe a combination of improved access to mental health services, restrictions on certain weapons intended for the battlefield, and elimination of the gun show loophole are sensible steps that can protect our communities and particularly, our children. In Colorado, we support the right to bear arms and the ability of people to recreate, hunt, and protect their homes, and we want to keep the wrong weapons out the hands of the wrong people. I believe our state can come together to have a civil discussion that addresses these issues and as the President's taskforce releases its recommendations to prevent and reduce gun violence, we will ensure that Colorado's voices are heard.

Senator Dianne Feinstein of California plans to introduce a bill in the 113th Congress that will prohibit the sale, transfer, importation and manufacturing of assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition feeding devices. The ban will include 120 specifically-named firearms and will apply to large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds. The bill will also require grandfathered weapons to be registered under the National Firearms Act and will include a background check of the owner and any future transferees. Although Senator Feinstein has not introduced the bill, she has indicated that she will do so at the start of the legislative session.

I look forward to reviewing Senator Feinstein's proposal, along with others brought before Senate. Let us all continue to keep the communities affected by these tragic acts in our thoughts and prayers.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at Michael Bennet - United States Senator for Colorado : Home. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Michael F. Bennet
    United States Senator
    Bennet is up for re-election in 2016 I believe, so we need to get him to see the light too.

Here's is Udall's response to me:

Thank you for your message to my U.S. Senate office. Each week, I receive over 10,000 letters from Coloradans with their thoughts and suggestions. Your views are invaluable and keep me consistently updated on Coloradans’ concerns. Please know that we read each letter and email and will do our utmost to get you a timely response addressing your thoughts and concerns.

I am honored to serve as your U.S. Senator. My top priority in the Senate is to provide efficient and effective representation of people across our state. Please know that my Colorado staff is available to handle specific services relating to the federal government (such as help with a passport, claim for veterans’ benefits or a citizenship matter) and my Denver office can be reached at 303-650-7820. If you would like to check on a request for services from my Washington, D.C. office, please call 202-224-5941 or toll-free at 877-7-MUDALL (877-768-3255). Otherwise, be assured that we are reading your comments.

Warm regards,

Mark Udall
    U.S. Senator, Colorado
    Note: Udall is up in the 2014 Mid-Terms and obviously will be worried about back-lash. We need to show him that worry is REAL.

Here is Hickenlooper's reply to me:
    Thank you for writing regarding gun control in Colorado. This is an important subject, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts and concerns.

Throughout the past six months in Colorado and across the nation, we have experienced an unprecedented level of tragedy due to gun violence. The shooting that occurred in Aurora on the night of July 20th is an event that will remain in our hearts and minds forever. And while our lives will never be the same again, these experiences showed the strength and resilience of individuals to come together as a community. Now, as a community, we must come together to discuss ways we can prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Your letter is one of thousands we have received expressing sympathy and sharing your opinions on everything from banning assault weapons, to increasing mental health availability, to the rights of citizens to carry concealed weapons. The diversity of opinions on how best to address this issue is proof positive that we should not shy away from this discussion. We are confident that through thoughtful and mindful debate we can find reasonable solutions that respect the rights of law-abiding Coloradans to own firearms while maintaining the health and safety of our communities.

This is a multifaceted issue and part of this dialogue should focus on mental health access. So, we have asked the Colorado General Assembly to support a comprehensive overhaul of our state’s mental health system so we can better identify and help people who are a threat to themselves and others.

This is a conversation that will continue throughout the course of this legislative session, so we also encourage you to share your thoughts with your legislators. To contact the House of Representatives, please call 303-866-2904. To contact the Senate, please call 303-866-2316. These contacts will direct your call to the appropriate office. Or, you can find your legislators online at Colorado Webmaps

Once again, thank you for your input, and for taking the time to contact our office. We will keep your thoughts in mind as we move forward.

Sincerely,

Office of Governor John W. Hickenlooper
    Here is a resource to locate your Colorado State Reps and Senators. Please note the NRA site is not as accurate on the Districts.

Colorado General Assembly

Here are the resources to locate your federal House and Senate reps:

House: Find Your Representative · House.gov

Senate: U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Oftentimes when communicating at the state or federal levels, I also add the Majority Leaders, the Minority Leaders, and in Colorado, the Officers of both the House and the Senate. I want not only my reps reading, but the leaders - both groups are critical.

Please feel free to add to this thread, and let's keep a dialog going, but extraneous stuff really doesn't fit here too well.

Carry on! Start writing!

It is critical to do this at the state and federal level. Additionally, they need to understand they are accountable to constituents, and may well be "out of jobs" at our first opportunity if they do not act in a congruent manner.

I would also stress your opposition to Universal Background Checks as outline by HotGuns!
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 11th, 2013 at 04:15 PM.

2. Remove Ads

I have been sending messages to both Udall and Bennett It is no use trying reasoned arguments on 2 Dem-o-craps with their heads firmly up Obummer's @!!

In the message box just put 1994 or REMEMBER 1994 every Dem-o-crap knows what that means. I have started encouraging every freedom loving Coloradoan to do the same.

Contact Mark | Mark Udall | U.S. Senator for Colorado

Michael Bennet - United States Senator for Colorado : Contact
    Last edited by F350; January 25th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Bennet is up for re-election in 2016 I believe, so we need to get him to see the light too.

Note: Udall is up in the 2014 Mid-Terms and obviously will be worried about back-lash. We need to show him that worry is REAL.
    AMEN to that!
    Even though their responses to our letters are canned and non-committal these guys can't be completely oblivious to enough pressure being brought to bear. Hopefully enough of us sounding off on this can have a positive effect. Colorado could indeed be "ground zero" in this battle. The stakes are high.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Here is another great resource to use in Colorado: County Sheriff's of Colorado: County Sheriff's of Colorado Position: BRAVO!

This should be powerful to use within the state! Refer to it freely as you correspond with your legislators and the Governor.

VIP Member
    More power to you good folks out in Colorado. I hope you get the 'bad' voted out and get some 'good' installed in their place. I agree with R&G, you absolutely gotta get your message out often and show up for every election, however minor the position may be, and make sure that you get a vote in for the guy (or gal) that supports your rights. It needs to be an issue that ends careers; a scarlet letter of sorts. Politicians aren't dumb and they won't vote for, or vocally support, something that they know will cost them their job. They want their job.

I love your state but it's headed for my BANNED list if ya'll can't get those crazy anti-gun legislators out of power!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I'm in Arapahoe county and I've written everyone with a pulse. Canned replies. Phone calls are met with patronizing at best or simply rudeness. I will now email the County Sheriff's position statement. Of course "they" know about it, but I'm going to let them know I support it and again that I vote. Will it help? I don't know, but I will have tried every peaceful remedy I know about.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

VIP Member
    I used to live in Colorado. Too many ex-Californians moved into the state and they try so hard to make it just like the California they left behind. Real shame, beautiful state and nice locals.
    OldVet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I used to live in Colorado. Too many ex-Californians moved into the state and they try so hard to make it just like the California they left behind. Real shame, beautiful state and nice locals.
    I have been in Colorado almost my entire life. We moved here in 1967 when I was less than 2 years old so my late Father could work on the Eisenhower Tunnel.
    The Wifey and I have decided to take our very healthy salaries and our tax base out of Colorado should anything pass.

I have written to them all, and didn't get anything back from Hickenlooper....I wrote a very well worded letter, and didn't get crap back at all.

In an email from NRA-ILA today.

Colorado: Sheriffs Say No to Proposed Gun Control

Late last week, the County Sheriffs of Colorado (CSOC) drew a line in the sand in defense of the Second Amendment, telling elected officials in the Centennial State that they will not support any of the proposed gun restrictions.

These devoted public servants understand better than most the efforts necessary to preserve and advance public safety interests for the community as a whole. The CSOC also made it clear in their statement that they welcome dialogue, in the wake of recent tragedies, that relates to protecting the public. However, they ardently assert that they “…do not believe these tragedies should be used as the backdrop to advance gun control legislation.”

The CSOC specifically cited their direct opposition to the gun grabbing efforts in Denver, being led by extremist organizations like New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s group "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" (MAIG). The so-called “common sense” measures being weighed by these out-of-town extremists include a ban on commonly owned semi-automatic rifles, arbitrary limitations on magazine capacities, the ban on bulk purchases of ammunition, a statewide database for concealed carry permit holders, unnecessarily restrictive mental health checks and the criminalization of law-abiding citizens through the prohibition of private firearms transfers.

The NRA applauds and thanks the CSOC in their vocal defense of gun rights on behalf of the tens of thousands of NRA members in Colorado.

Please stay tuned to NRA-ILA | ILA Home for further updates and information, and please continue to contact your lawmakers to urge them to reject anti-gun legislation. For help identifying your legislators and their contact information, please click here.
    surefire7 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    The so-called “common sense” measures being weighed by these out-of-town extremists include a ban on commonly owned semi-automatic rifles, arbitrary limitations on magazine capacities, the ban on bulk purchases of ammunition, a statewide database for concealed carry permit holders, unnecessarily restrictive mental health checks and the criminalization of law-abiding citizens through the prohibition of private firearms transfers.
    A common sense measure would be to ban anyone that is stupid enough to think that these proposals are "common sense" from holding public office.

All of them are infringements on the Second Amendment.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I've contacted both senators and my congressman about this. I doubt I'll get the support of the senators, but my congressman claims to support the 2nd Amendment, so I hope he'll fight for it.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Here is another letter from Bennet, and as before, it garnered a response:

Dear Richard:

Thank you for contacting me regarding some of the different gun proposals that have been introduced during the 113th Congress, including S.2 introduced by Senator Harry Reid, S.150 introduced by Senator Diane Feinstein, and the proposal put forth by President Obama. I appreciate hearing from you.

The numerous tragedies that our nation has had to face over the past year have been staggering. My own family, like all Americans, has been repeatedly shocked and deeply saddened by the violence we have witnessed, and my heart continues to be with the victims and their families. As Coloradans, we know how this type of tragedy can shake a community to its core and in the aftermath of these abhorrent acts our priority should be on supporting the survivors and families, and healing our communities.

We must have a real discussion in this country about finding ways to stop these senseless shootings. I believe a combination of improved access to mental health services, restrictions on certain weapons intended for warfare, and elimination of the gun show loophole are sensible steps that can protect our communities and particularly, our children. In Colorado, we support the right to bear arms and the ability of people to recreate, hunt, and protect their homes, and we want to keep the wrong weapons out the hands of the wrong people. I believe we can have a civil discussion that addresses these issues and as the recommendations by the President's task force are considered in Congress, we will ensure that Colorado's voices are heard.

In addition to the bills referenced above, there are a number of different legislative proposals on gun policy currently before Congress. I am evaluating all of the different bills, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as we work on this issue in the Senate. Let us all continue to keep the communities affected by these tragic acts in our thoughts and prayers.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.
    For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at Michael Bennet - United States Senator for Colorado : Home. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Michael F. Bennet
    United States Senator
    I was more brief in my response this time.

Here's a recent letter from my Rep in the House:

January 30, 2013

Dear Rock and Glock,

Thank you for contacting me about proposed gun regulations. I appreciate hearing from you.

First and foremost, no words can adequately describe the tragedy that occurred in Connecticut. With the loss of so many innocent lives, especially the young children, our prayers should continue to go out to the families and the community around them. While a political discussion of what we in Congress can do to prevent future tragedies is inevitable, I hope these discussions will not overshadow the memory of those who lost their life that day.

As a Member of Congress I will honor my oath to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States." Since being ratified on December 15, 1791, the Bill of Rights has been one of the core pillars of our Constitution. The rights enshrined to the people there have been a beacon to the world. The 2nd Amendment states, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." In 2008 the historic Supreme Court case of D.C. vs Heller reaffirmed this amendment as a protection for individuals of the right to bear arms. There is no clause in the Second Amendment qualifying or limiting this right.

As the 113th Congress begins there will be extensive discussion in the months ahead concerning what, if any, changes to our gun laws or other laws are needed following the tragic events in Connecticut. I take seriously the need to safeguard the Constitutional right to bear arms. I believe that responsible gun owners should not be punished for the actions of one deranged person. I am concerned that in a rush to do something, there may be an overreaction. I think we need to take a thoughtful approach and look at all of the facts in order to avoid any unintended consequences.

As we review the facts and study this issue I hope we also review the effectiveness of current efforts to control gun use. The shooter in Connecticut, a state with some of the most stringent gun control laws in the nation, stole the guns from his mother after brutally murdering her. He illegally carried the guns into a "gun-free" zone because he knew there would be no one to stop him. According to the U.S. Department of Justice, a majority of guns used by criminals are stolen, bought on the black market, or obtained in other illegal ways. Most, if not all, of the laws being proposed by gun control advocates would not have made any difference in Connecticut.

Lastly, President Obama and Vice President Biden have both indicted they will be using executive orders to pursue gun control. Unfortunately too often this administration has used this tactic to go around Congress to achieve its agenda. This flies in the face of the design of our Founding Fathers when they established the Constitution with three co-equal branches with checks and balances. Although the President can direct various executive agencies how to do their business, the Constitution does not allow the President to make law through executive order. If President Obama wants changes to our gun laws he must bring these changes to Congress so we can have an open, honest, and transparent debate. Anything other than this is totally unacceptable.

As we as a nation continue to heal from this tragedy I hope we also look within our families, churches, and cultural institutions--for answers. Thank you once again for providing me with your concerns. For more information about my efforts on behalf of Colorado and to receive periodic congressional updates, please visit my website at Lamborn.house.gov/.

Sincerely,
    Doug Lamborn
    Member of Congress
    I like him. Solid guy!

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    I got the exact same response from Bennett.

Here is what I got from Congressman Coffman:

Dear Mr. GeorgiaDawg:

Thank you for contacting me about Senator Diane Feinstein's assault weapons ban proposal. This issue is of great importance to me as well, so I appreciate hearing your thoughts and the opportunity to respond to your concerns.

As you are aware, Senator Diane Feinstein has proposed legislation to prohibit the sale, importation, transfer, and manufacturing of all assault weapons and high capacity ammunition-feeding devices. This federal mandate would outlaw the purchase, ownership, and use of hundreds of firearms and would limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds for semiautomatic rifles and handguns. As a member of the House of the Representatives, I will not vote on this legislation unless it is passed by the Senate and scheduled for a vote in the House.

Representative Diana DeGette has introduced House Resolution 138, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act. As a companion bill to Senator Feinstein's legislation, H.R. 138 would likewise ban the transfer and possession of large capacity ammunition feeding devices. I believe that states should continue to implement these standards. It would not be wise for Congress to establish an arbitrary national standard, provided that each state is composed of different demographics, crime rates, and local culture. The Colorado General Assembly will be having this debate during this session of the legislature. I do not doubt Senator Feinstein's and Rep. DeGette's sincerity, but I believe these standards are best left to state and local governments. However, I am in favor of improving the federal gun background check system through legislation that would strengthen the screening process for people who have a record of past criminal activities or mental illness.

Thank you again, GeorgiaDawg, for taking the time to contact me. For more information on my work in Congress on your behalf, please sign up for my newsletter at https://forms.house.gov/coffman/webforms/enews.html.

Sincerely,

Mike Coffman
    Member of Congress
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here is another letter from Bennet, and as before, it garnered a response:

I was more brief in my response this time.
    I can think of a brief two word response and it isn't, "Lets dance".

Political auto-replies are so disingenuous and patronizing. Its the veneer that attempts to hide ambition (keep my power) at any cost.

Every time I attempt to express my.... I realize that one word is too many and a thousand are not enough.

Colorado guys...

Don't waste your time sending rational, thought out e mail to Bennett or Udall, they will never see them, some staffer will scan it, and pick the closest matching canned reply.

If you want to send something just put REMEMBER 1994 or to keep within their reading comprehension level just put 1994

All they ever see is numbers for pro or con on an issue; I am trying to get them both flooded with "1994" messages.
    AR15VSCoyote likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links