NRA senior lobbyist says attack ad was "ill-advised"

This is a discussion on NRA senior lobbyist says attack ad was "ill-advised" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by tokerblue - I'm not disagreeing with you. The problem was that 99% of the commenters assumed that ad was referring to the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: NRA senior lobbyist says attack ad was "ill-advised"

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I'm not disagreeing with you. The problem was that 99% of the commenters assumed that ad was referring to the Secret Service.
    Fair enough.

2. Remove Ads

We are not going to change the anti's mind set. We need to being reaching the 94 million people that didn't vote in the last election. Most of them are ill informed and not engaged in any politics. We need to engage them, teach them, get them to listen to what the government is trying to do, and then get them involved in reaching out to their representatives, and local polititions.

I taught my 32 year old son and 24 year old daughter gun safety when they were only 3 and 4. They were shooting a 22 when they were 5. If we want to get the uninformed on our side lets get them to a shooting range, and some refuse to be a victim classes, maybe some shooting classes. Make it fun and don't make them feel stupid for not knowing the difference of a clip versus a magazine, in the broad picture that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Just a newbie here but a long time shooter and a newbie getting involved with my representatives in the government.

As much as I appreciate the NRA, it's still run by elite republicans living in the conservative bubble. That's not to say there isn't a liberal bubble or that one is better or worse than the other. A bubble is a bubble. . It's too bad people have to rely on television advertisement for information. Someone said they need a new public relations person. They SHOULD be trying to make sense without needing public relations people in the first place. It's up to the reader/viewer to believe something blindly or to actually figure it out for themselves. So while I like what the NRA does, I wish they didn't act like we're all stupid, that goes for anti gun activists as well as their own members. We all write emails to our elected officials and tell them what we want from them, but why would we let the NRA speak for us, when they use our own money to make us look foolish and insensitive? Whether or not we know what the real message is, the perceived message on the other side is a lot more important
    keboostman and bklynboy like this.

VIP Member
    I liked the ad. It did a good job of showing the do as I say not as i do approach of the administration.

Personally, I would like to see the NRA come out with a series of ads aimed at the main stream, your neighbor next door. The ads could feature families in shooting sports, etc.
    Last edited by ctr; January 26th, 2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeFalling View Post

In my opinion it would be a lot more productive to run positive ads showing gun owners in a good light. Show hunters who use AR-15s teaching their children to shoot. Show grandpa out on the farm teaching his grand kids how to shoot with the 1911 he carried in the war. Reinforce the fact that guns are part of the heritage of the United States, and do it in a positive accessible way that will make people want to be a part of our group because, "hey, those are some happy family oriented folks right there!"

In short, I think the NRA reinforces the liberal perception of gun owners as ignorant rednecks who can barely communicate. And I know for a fact that's not who we are.
    You've made some very good points and I think your ideas have some great merit. It's very frustrating because it seems like we have no one who can cut through the media BS and grab the attention of the public and make them stop and think, "Hey, this is a credible person and he thinks guns have a valid place in our society."

Nothing you do, not even showing Gramps on the farm teaching little Billy to target shoot with a .22LR will help change the minds of some people. There are people who just think every gun should disappear. Those are just lunatics but they are out there.

I don't personally know any like that. My mother, grandmother, and some of my friends don't like guns but they resolved themselves to just avoid them. They don't want to shoot, don't want to learn about them, don't want to see them if possible. They just don't try to push that mindset on me which I can appreciate. I don't like Country music, but I won't tell people to stop playing it. To me it's the same thing.
    tony1990 likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

The NRA could be even more conservative and I'd be grateful.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    The NRA could be even more conservative and I'd be grateful.
    Well thats one reason why there are only 4 million members. There shouldnt be any prerequisite to being an nra member other than caring about the second amendment. Imagine how many more liberals would possibly consider owning guns if our biggest voice wasnt a mens club with a chip on their shoulder when it comes to political leanings

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    Well thats one reason why there are only 4 million members. There shouldnt be any prerequisite to being an nra member other than caring about the second amendment. Imagine how many more liberals would possibly consider owning guns if our biggest voice wasnt a mens club with a chip on their shoulder when it comes to political leanings
    It is the NRA's fault that more liberals don't own guns???
    tony1990 likes this.
    "Who are the ones that we kept in charge? Killers, thieves, and lawyers"

Tom Waits, God's Away on Business

Re: NRA senior lobbyist says attack ad was "ill-advised"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It is the NRA's fault more gun owners and Second Ammendment supporters are not members of the NRA.

Private firearm ownership and a belief in freedom and subsequent personal responsibility are not necessarily partisan values.

Put another way, a number of people disagree on expanding government intrusion on accessing voting rights, marriage equality, differing ideas on tax policy, organized labor, even abortion, yet they have firearm ownership as a common thread, and regardless of where they fall on these issues, they will vote to protect that right. It is the NRA, not the RNC.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazadores View Post
    It is the NRA's fault more gun owners and Second Ammendment supporters are not members of the NRA.

Private firearm ownership and a belief in freedom and subsequent personal responsibility are not necessarily partisan values.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    The NRA isn't for everybody, to be sure. I'm unclear why that in and of itself merits criticism.
    tony1990 and OD* like this.

No its their fault that liberal gun owners arent typically comfortable joining. About 95 percent of gun owners dont contribute to the NRA. Who do you blame?

And they do perpetuate the idea, and more importantly the attitude, that gun culture is for conservatives.

VIP Member
    No its their fault that liberal gun owners arent typically comfortable joining. About 95 percent of gun owners dont contribute to the NRA. Who do you blame?
    95% of food stamp recipients didn't vote Republican, and paid no federal income taxes. Who do you blame?
    tony1990 likes this.

95% of food stamp recipients didn't vote Republican, and paid no federal income taxes. Who do you blame?
    Ah yeah....thats relevant, how? Anyway there are plenty of conservatives on food stamps. Back to the topic. I'm saying I want more of those people to join, youre kind of saying you dont. Care about gun rights? Maybe not

VIP Member
    Ah yeah....thats relevant, how? Anyway there are plenty of conservatives on food stamps. Back to the topic. I'm saying I want more of those people to join, youre kind of saying you dont. Care about gun rights? Maybe not
    It is at least as relevant as your claim that liberal gun owners who support the Second Amendment refuse to have anything to do with the NRA.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links