Somewhat befuddled, am I

This is a discussion on Somewhat befuddled, am I within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm certain this has been posted here elsewhere, but... Someone told me yesterday, that the Fontana CA school district bought some AR15 rifles.. I'm fine ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 3 Post By Exacto
  • 1 Post By BugDude
  • 1 Post By oakchas
  • 1 Post By DontTreadOnI

Thread: Somewhat befuddled, am I

Somewhat befuddled, am I

I'm certain this has been posted here elsewhere, but...

Someone told me yesterday, that the Fontana CA school district bought some AR15 rifles..

I'm fine with that. But I thought I'd look it up on the Googleator.

So, I googled "LA buys AR15"

The first link said... CBS local reports Fontana district buys 14 AR15 Sport Utility....

I click on the link, CBS comes up,
    Fontana... Buys 14 AR15 assault rifles....

So, back button to the google page, and further down the page, another headline with paragraph as above "...AR15 Sport Utility...." And, the story that it linked to actually quoted CBS as saying ..."sport utility rifle" ( here's that link : http://extranosalley.com/?p=38713 )

What I'm wondering is, did CBS actually say "sport utility," and then change it to "assault"... rifle?

I mean it's not like a conspiracy or anything, just curious... If a police department purchases an AR15, it's sport utility, if John Q. buys one, it's an assault... Rifle...

Wazzup wid dat?

Maybe this post doesn't really belong here in 2nd Amendment...
    But, I do find the "flub" curious in these times.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    It's not a flub. This administration and it's lackies are masters at changing the definition of words to suit they're needs. How could they demonize the AR by calling it an assault rifle, weapons of war, slaughter machines, if you shoot deer with one there won't be anything left to eat, mass murder machines, the deadliest rifle on the planet, and then say we need them to protect our children. They have convinced the low information public of all these things and then bring them into the schools, no way. These are different than the ones we have lied about, these are sport utility rifles. It's enough to make you sick the lies they perpetuate to futher their political agenda. And almost as bad is that there are so many dolts out there that believe them.
    SpringerXD, Crowbait and Spirit51 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

They know all too well that their knowledge of firearms pales next to ours. And of course they know that we'll pick up on their sleight of hand.

It's the naive that they are targeting. Hence the different terms for the same thing.

Exacto hit the nail on the head. Using the lack of knowledge about guns agaist the non gun owners/non informed.
    Every saint has a past
    Every sinner has a future
    Carrying since 2013
    NRA member since 2013

Amazing how libtard media can actually talk out of both sides of their mouths simultaneously.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

if you shoot a deer with one, it'll keep running for an mile, and then die only when it bleeds out. Someone should find an article or two about the ineffectiveness of the .223 round as a hunting cartridge.
    -You know Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help.

-Susie, if you want to see your doll again, leave $100 in this envelope by the tree out front. Do not call the police. You cannot trace us. You cannot find us. Sincerely, Calvin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    It's not a flub. This administration and it's lackies are masters at changing the definition of words to suit they're needs. How could they demonize the AR by calling it an assault rifle, weapons of war, slaughter machines, if you shoot deer with one there won't be anything left to eat, mass murder machines, the deadliest rifle on the planet, and then say we need them to protect our children. They have convinced the low information public of all these things and then bring them into the schools, no way. These are different than the ones we have lied about, these are sport utility rifles. It's enough to make you sick the lies they perpetuate to futher their political agenda. And almost as bad is that there are so many dolts out there that believe them.
    I highlighted the bold for an anecdote; My in-laws stayed with us last weekend. My father in law is a very educated and successful retired business man, he considers himself on the far right. However, not being familiar with firearms, he has swallowed hook, line and sinker all of the lies and garbage that has been fed to him. He figures if FOX news tells him that there's a gun problem, well there certainly must be. He even tried to drill me on why I needed an AR. I started to educate him on the subject, but he was skeptical of my data and logic, since he had not heard nor read about anything along the lines of what I was telling him.

Here is a terrifying example of an intelligent and educated senior citizen that has been brain-washed.

Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    if you shoot a deer with one, it'll keep running for an mile, and then die only when it bleeds out. Someone should find an article or two about the ineffectiveness of the .223 round as a hunting cartridge.
    Seems to be fairly effective on coyotes & groundhogs, though.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I highlighted the bold for an anecdote; My in-laws stayed with us last weekend. My father in law is a very educated and successful retired business man, he considers himself on the far right. However, not being familiar with firearms, he has swallowed hook, line and sinker all of the lies and garbage that has been fed to him. He figures if FOX news tells him that there's a gun problem, well there certainly must be. He even tried to drill me on why I needed an AR. I started to educate him on the subject, but he was skeptical of my data and logic, since he had not heard nor read about anything along the lines of what I was telling him.

Here is a terrifying example of an intelligent and educated senior citizen that has been brain-washed.
    My older brother is the same way. Hubby and I try to educate him, but he has swallowed the Liberal/Progressive bait...hook, line and sinker and have reeled him in. Just wait until they "clean" him and fry him up in the pan....maybe then he will learn.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    My older brother is the same way. Hubby and I try to educate him, but he has swallowed the Liberal/Progressive bait...hook, line and sinker and have reeled him in. Just wait until they "clean" him and fry him up in the pan....maybe then he will learn.
    These are the folks, well some of them anyway, that we need to reach... I'll include Spirit's older brother, though she doesn't specify that he considers himself "conservative" or "far right."

How can we better do that? I really wish I had an answer to that, but I don't. I have lots of ideas... but no real solutions/answers.

Even if the NRA/GOA and all the rest, pooled their resources, and purchased air time on all the networks.... people mute ads. they don't hear it.

Even if we talk to them until we're blue, they don't hear... To most of us, it's really simple.

It's a bill of rights, not privileges or needs.
    It isn't the inanimate object that commits the crime, it's the criminal.
    They aren't required to use quill pens and couriers to write a letter to the editor. So why should we be limited to single shot firearms?
    When seconds count cops are 20 minutes away... (And that was at Sandy Hook, even after "active shooter" changes in LE tactics).
    All it takes to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.
    We have a mental health/ psychotropic drug problem.

And on and on.... Boil it down to simple sentences and concepts... and it's still too much to understand... I don't get it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    These are the folks, well some of them anyway, that we need to reach... I'll include Spirit's older brother, though she doesn't specify that he considers himself "conservative" or "far right."

How can we better do that? I really wish I had an answer to that, but I don't. I have lots of ideas... but no real solutions/answers.

Even if the NRA/GOA and all the rest, pooled their resources, and purchased air time on all the networks.... people mute ads. they don't hear it.

Even if we talk to them until we're blue, they don't hear... To most of us, it's really simple.

They aren't required to use quill pens and couriers to write a letter to the editor. So why should we be limited to single shot firearms?
    When seconds count cops are 20 minutes away... (And that was at Sandy Hook, even after "active shooter" changes in LE tactics).

And on and on.... Boil it down to simple sentences and concepts... and it's still too much to understand... I don't get it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    This video is extremely relevant to this thread:

Spirit51 likes this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FUZZ View Post
    Pardon me, but deer is not the only thing you can hunt in North America. Not by a long shot.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

Brother is a disabled Vietnam Veteran. He considers himself Moderate (though he leans toward the left). Having been a Musician his adult life...you know how many of them are. Funny thing is....if he looks at more Conservative ideals...he agrees with them...as long as you don't use the word "Conservative". I am hoping since he moved to my town we can correct his misconceptions...with the help of the American Legion here.

I don't understand it either. Why "they" can't grasp common sense is beyond me....but I won't stop trying.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    This video is extremely relevant to this thread:

It certainly is and I look forward to showing it to my brother.
    Susan B. Anthony
    Robert Heinlein

Links