Senator Marco Rubio Responds

This is a discussion on Senator Marco Rubio Responds within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Dear *********, Thank you for writing me regarding the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I understand this is an important issue and I appreciate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Senator Marco Rubio Responds

Senator Marco Rubio Responds

Dear *********,

Thank you for writing me regarding the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. I understand this is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I hold the fundamental belief the Second Amendment should not be altered. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.

In light of the recent tragedies, some have suggested restricting gun ownership and have suggested ways to curb gun violence. I am always open to ideas on how to stop violent crimes, however I have concerns when these suggestions are solely directed toward restricting gun ownership. Given the Constitution's clear stance on gun ownership, I will continue to support an individual's right to own firearms.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator. I appreciate you offering your opinion on this issue. If I can ever be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

I expected a stronger 2nd Amendment statement from him. This is really a disappointing letter. When I combine this with his Illegal Immigration stance I'm not as pleased as I once was with him. I don't dislike him, I'm just a little let down.

2. Remove Ads

That's a canned response.

He isn't responding personally so I have to assume that they are wording it carefully down the center.
    Clodbert likes this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    That's a canned response.

He isn't responding personally so I have to assume that they are wording it carefully down the center.
    Yup, I know that, but being pre-written for the masses doesn't preclude a strong 2A message.

Sounds canned and like typical, non-committal double-talk.

Quote Originally Posted by From the senator's reply
    I understand this is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.
    He understands we think it's important. That's a good first indicator, but only an indicator.

I hold the fundamental belief the Second Amendment should not be altered. At the same time, I have always been open to measures that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill.
    Translation: The 2A shouldn't be altered, but ...

I am always open to ideas on how to stop violent crimes ...

Given the Constitution's clear stance on gun ownership, I will continue to support an individual's right to own firearms.
    Translation: The 2A's important, but ...

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator.
    He doesn't know the half of it, seemingly, if he's willing to futz with or give away the 2A's core protections.

I appreciate you offering your opinion on this issue. If I can ever be of any assistance to you ...
    As a start, you (Mr. Rubio) could stand firm on the 2A and all the other elements of the Bill of Rights.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You do understand though that since he doesn't write it, someone else can put whatever wording they think sounds good? It's quite possible some secretary or PR guy put his/her own "spin" in there.

I do know how the political system works and he is still new so I'm sure it's carefully worded in order to not sound too far to one side. You know what I mean? It's very easy to put something that sounds better to your question and what answer you would like, but anger someone who voted for him due to his stance on other issues. I am confident he is on our side though, having met him before.

I know for certain he isn't looking at these responses. It probably never gets to his desk.

So you have to look at how someone has voted in the past on certain issues, rather than what is written. If Bill nelson said he's for the second amendment and he will shoot down an AWB bill would you believe him? He did after all support such legislation before.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Sorry to say, but I received the same letter. I also saw no " I stand firm" but I did see "fundamental belief" and "open to measures" and IMO he would be open to restrictions of our 2nd Amendment rights.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Sorry to say, but I received the same letter. I also saw no " I stand firm" but I did see "fundamental belief" and "open to measures" and IMO he would be open to restrictions of our 2nd Amendment rights.
    He has voted in favor of our right every time. He got one black eye because he didn't push the "bring your gun to work" law to the floor immediately. He sat on it for a time to bring other measures to the floor first. So the NRA gives him a B+ because as speaker of the Florida house he had the ability to fast track it and did not.
    -Thomas Jefferson

IMO...........don't see anything out of line here.....I like him, smart young man.
    cmdrdredd and sigs like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Dear *********,

In light of the recent tragedies, some have suggested restricting gun ownership and have suggested ways to curb gun violence. I am always open to ideas on how to stop violent crimes, however I have concerns when these suggestions are solely directed toward restricting gun ownership. Given the Constitution's clear stance on gun ownership, I will continue to support an individual's right to own firearms.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
    United States Senator

I expected a stronger 2nd Amendment statement from him. This is really a disappointing letter. When I combine this with his Illegal Immigration stance I'm not as pleased as I once was with him. I don't dislike him, I'm just a little let down.

^^^^^^Yeah, right^^^^^^^^^^

I will continue to support an individual's right to own firearms.

What kind of firearms good senator?
    Flintlocks, BBguns, single shot, semi autos, bolt action, what?

Time to sweep Washington of all these double speaking fools, and put people who know absolutely nothing about the system.
    That way, they can't manipulate it to their advantage.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^Yeah, right^^^^^^^^^^

I will continue to support an individual's right to own firearms.

What kind of firearms good senator?
    Flintlocks, BBguns, single shot, semi autos, bolt action, what?

Time to sweep Washington of all these double speaking fools, and put people who know absolutely nothing about the system.
    That way, they can't manipulate it to their advantage.
    Rubio is one of the good guys. Just cause a secretary doesn't say "everyone should own an AR!" you hate him?

He is NOT a double speaking politician. He's one of the best to come out of Florida in YEARS. I've met him and he isn't what you are painting him to be.

I think what you're proposing is just as dangerous as Feinstein.

He doesn't have to specify. The Second Amendment doesn't...so if he believes in it, which he most certainly does, he doesn't need to lay out what he thinks you can own. You make it sound as if he said "nobody needs this or that but you can have a handgun".
    -Thomas Jefferson

Rubio is one of the good guys. Just cause a secretary doesn't say "everyone should own an AR!" you hate him?

He is NOT a double speaking politician. He's one of the best to come out of Florida in YEARS.
    Perhaps, but he's not laying down firm stakes clearly and unambiguously in that letter. The wording isn't very far from saying "I support the 2A, but ..." language that many other anti-2A elected folk use every day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Beats the tar outta the Colorado Senators. He's holding his lines open.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Yup, I know that, but being pre-written for the masses doesn't preclude a strong 2A message.
    That is not a Strong 2A message though. I prefer Rand Pauls 2A message over anyones.

He is NOT a double speaking politician. He's one of the best to come out of Florida in YEARS. I've met him and he isn't what you are painting him to be.

I think what you're proposing is just as dangerous as Feinstein.

He doesn't have to specify. The Second Amendment doesn't...so if he believes in it, which he most certainly does, he doesn't need to lay out what he thinks you can own. You make it sound as if he said "nobody needs this or that but you can have a handgun".
    I have also met Rubio a few times, including a few Tea Party meetings. He also isnt the "great Conservative" that many in the TP movement were painting him to be either. Rubio is a typical Republican who is conservative on many issues. While he may be "one of the better guys", Honestly he isnt to far from another Bush or Dole on many positions that he holds., but his 2A stance from talking to him personally a few times, he stands on the side of 2A being for more Hunting/Shooting sports, then for fighting against tyranny and hunting/shooting stance like Paul/Amash and a few others hold.

Not to mention Rubio voted YES on the Patriot Act, so I wouldn't hold much weight on what he says about the 2A.... anyone who supports the Patriot Act will get NO support from this guy.

I think sometimes if it was up to us here nobody would ever be elected. Nobody is gonna fit everyone's idea of perfection.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links