Tulsa has a real problem with gun shows (read to bottom)

This is a discussion on Tulsa has a real problem with gun shows (read to bottom) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory....A22_Shotg66962 Shotgun blast hurts two at gun show By CLIFTON ADCOCK World Staff Writer 10/22/2006 View in Print (PDF) Format Two men were injured Saturday ...

Thread: Tulsa has a real problem with gun shows (read to bottom)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Tulsa has a real problem with gun shows (read to bottom)

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory....A22_Shotg66962

Shotgun blast hurts two at gun show
    By CLIFTON ADCOCK World Staff Writer
    10/22/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Two men were injured Saturday morning at the Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show at Expo Square when a vendor accidentally discharged a shotgun.

The men, whose names were not released Saturday, suffered only minor injuries, officials said. Investigators will forward a complaint against the vendor of misdemeanor reckless handling of a firearm to the Tulsa County District Attorney's Office.

The vendor's name was not released Saturday.

Joe Wanenmacher, the gun show's manager, said the vendor was examining a double-barreled .410-gauge shotgun that he thought was loaded with a snap cap. A snap cap is a nonlive round that allows the handler to dry-fire the weapon without damaging the firing pin or the firing pin holes.

However, when the vendor pulled the trigger, the shotgun fired a blast through his display case, Wanenmacher said. The pellets ricocheted off the floor and struck two men standing nearby, he said.

Cpl. Jerry Holloway of the Tulsa County Sheriff's Department said investigators recovered one spent shell and a live shell in the gun's other barrel.

One of the victims was wounded in the back of the head and the other in the right side of the abdomen, Holloway said. Both were taken to St. John Medical

Center, where they were treated and released, he said.

Wanenmacher said loaded guns are not allowed at the show.

"This would have never happened if the exhibitor had been following the rules," he said. "It was something that could have easily been prevented.

"We will pack him up and move him out, and he will not be welcome back."

When handling a firearm, Wanenmacher said, safety should always be the top concern: "A good rule is when handling a gun, assume it's loaded, even if you know it's unloaded."

In 1994, a similar accident happened at the Tulsa Gun and Knife Show when a vendor accidentally fired a .45-caliber pistol. Investigators said the bullet ricocheted off the floor and struck two men in the feet.

In 2000, a 10 mm pistol discharged as a man was unholstering it at Wanenmacher's Tulsa Arms Show. The bullet struck the person next to him in the leg.

View in Print (PDF) Format
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Looks like a pattern developing...... About every six years someone has to shoot something at the gun show!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

When testing a dry fire or ANY other time make sure that the chamber is empty. Even if its your own. snap caps are dark red and are easily identified. He should have unloaded reloaded ESPECALY to make sure if he was dry firing an snap. Should check twice for empty chamber and check 4* if your using a snap cap at a minimum.
    -Diplomacy: The art of saying nice dogie until you can find a rock.
    -The truth is a three edged sword.
    -Your brain is your primary weapon everything else is just a tool.
    -When the only tool you have is a hammer then everything starts to look like a nail.

Safety, Safety, Safety and Safety all the time.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Sounds suspicious to me...not a conspiracy theorist mind you, but a few days before mid-term elections....I wonder if "unloaded" gun show displays discovered with live rounds will be a trend...

Mike in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sounds suspicious to me...not a conspiracy theorist mind you, but a few days before mid-term elections....I wonder if "unloaded" gun show displays discovered with live rounds will be a trend...

Mike in VA
    Yea, that is a big concern of mine to. NOT.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    II too am not a conspiracy theorist, but I have noticed there has been a LOT of media coverage of gun crimes, or shoots, that are being portrayed as bad shoots. (not saying they are or aren't but terms like "unjustified shooting", "street justice" or "vigilante", go a long way towards showing the reporters bias) I at least have noticed it more and more the closer we get to the elections.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I went to that show on Sunday without knowing ahead of time about the shooting on Saturday. I was surprised at the security- - it seemed stepped up a notch or two to me. I guess I know why now.

They also had "NO LOADED GUNS WHATSOEVER AT ALL" signs plastered all over creation.

The signs didn't bear any text excepting from their purview LEO's or licensed, properly concealed CCW's. That struck me as pretty odd since a gun show is obviously a pretty pro 2A kind of place, and pretty pro law and order kind of place, too.

Clearly off-topic, but it was kind of overpriced.

I saw no bargains, which just wasn't the case a few short years ago.

I'm told that tables cost a lot more than they used to. I know for a fact admission is more than twice what it was just a few years ago as well.

I guess the exhibitors HAVE to sock it to you in order to break even or hope to make the show a profitable thing in which for them to participate.

Somewhere, at some point, someone figured out that the gun show could be a moneymaker instead of a pleasant way to spend a weekend.

The profit motive will be the death of us all!

Links