Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

This is a discussion on Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While Reagan was a great president, we might have to allow him one or two indiscretions, he was from California...lol His statement is irrelevant after ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

  1. #31
    383
    383 is offline
    Member Array 383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    58
    While Reagan was a great president, we might have to allow him one or two indiscretions, he was from California...lol

    His statement is irrelevant after '86, fully auto AK-47's were already banned.
    Spirit51 likes this.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,862
    If someone were to ask me about the quote my reply would be this "the NRA could make a statement like that, or a gun manufacturer, it would not matter. It is their opinon and a stance on an issue. But it is wrong when it does not conform with the Constitution. It does not matter who makes the comment. Experts and well known people have differing views on many issues."

    I try to get the anti's I do debate this with to finally say that what needs to be done is a change to the COnstitution, not laws that try to go around it. They don't like that because they know there is no way in the forseeable future that an amendment would happen

    The arguement is always about the Constitution, not what a machine gun is, if Reagan was feeling the affects of his disease, how much Nancy was dabbling into the occult, crime stats, or anything else. They all sway folks from the one and only reason to be able to bear arms: it is not denied in the Constitution.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  4. #33
    Senior Member Array Darrow75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    609
    People are too concerned about holding Ronald Reagan up on a pedestal as a beacon of conservatism which is why the left likes to use anything he said or did that is in opposition of our ideals. He was a man...not a god, and he didn't always do or say things the way we would have liked. The right needs to top deifying him. Good President overall? Yes. Perfect? No. Writer of the Bill of Rights? No. Friend to the Second Amendment? Not really. Does that matter at this point in time? Not really.
    Spirit51 likes this.

  5. #34
    Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls Tx.
    Posts
    1,630
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    First you agree with me, then edit your post?

    Nowhere in the above quote did he say, "military style assault weapons," and nowhere in the link did he say that. Furthermore I didn't trash his statement, only said it was irrelevant in terms of gun control since he is talking specifically about a gun control item that has already been reached, making fully-automatic weapons nearly impossible to own.

    And if you want to talk Reagan in 1994, he was certainly feeling the disabling effects of Alzheimers.
    I did edit edit that post to add more information and it was unintentional to edit the part that I agree with you. For the record I do agree with you in post # 11. My opologies.

    The words "Military-style assault weapons" are in the letter that he wrote (along with Carter and Ford) to the House of Reps in support of the ban.

    This is cut and pasted directly from the link.
    “We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons.

    My point is that he was in support of the ban and what he believed shouldn't be trashed because he used the words "machine gun".

    For a man with the disabling effects of Alzheimer's, in 1994 he was extremely successful in persuading two crucial voters to change their votes to favor the ban. I believe the above quote was said feb 6. 1989.

    Also, As post #5 says that the statement is inaccurate and should be trashed because of the words "machine gun" are used is what I disagree with, because it is what be believed
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

  6. #35
    Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Wichita Falls Tx.
    Posts
    1,630
    People, especially presidents, should be careful about their wording. Some people will twist and trash those words and not care of the intended meaning.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

  7. #36
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,875
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I try to get the anti's I do debate this with to finally say that what needs to be done is a change to the COnstitution, not laws that try to go around it. They don't like that because they know there is no way in the forseeable future that an amendment would happen.
    That is another good tactic. I was reading a discussion this very morning, shortly after my earlier post to this thread, where the antis were pulling out the usual opinion piece about gun ownership not being a right, that it is connected only to official military service, etc. It is easy enough to point them to the official rulings on the matter, at which point they typically insist that the ruling was wrong.

    Next they invariably turn to registration and equate it to driving a car and claim that nobody is trying to take away peoples cars.

  8. #37
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,072
    Reagan, while a pretty good President, was, for all intents and purposes a Republicrat.
    He, just like ALL that have followed him, are part of something bigger than themselves, and that something looks at society as, for the good of all collective socialist mentality, which is taking over the world.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

    Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

  9. #38
    Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    1,121
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on the severity of the threat.

    As home invasions, for example, get more brazen and bloody, often occurring with multiple assailants (3-6) in the attack, nobody can say whether a given situation wouldn't benefit by having more firepower at one's disposal. The fact remains that a person might well be better served by being behind a "bigger" screen of lead at the moment of violence, whether that comes from a larger caliber, a greater velocity (as with a rifle over a handgun, ie an AK or AR), or via a higher rate of fire (burst/select-fire over semi-auto/revolver).
    I agree. Suppressive fire could be useful. Not everybody lives in an apartment.

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array goawayfarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fork Union, Virginia
    Posts
    2,695

    Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Depends on the severity of the threat.

    As home invasions, for example, get more brazen and bloody, often occurring with multiple assailants (3-6) in the attack, nobody can say whether a given situation wouldn't benefit by having more firepower at one's disposal. The fact remains that a person might well be better served by being behind a "bigger" screen of lead at the moment of violence, whether that comes from a larger caliber, a greater velocity (as with a rifle over a handgun, ie an AK or AR), or via a higher rate of fire (burst/select-fire over semi-auto/revolver).
    True........

    I don't believe anybody who has been in a gunfight in any circumstances has said:

    "I wish I had carried less ammunition!".......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

  11. #40
    Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Florida's Space Coast.
    Posts
    1,604
    Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    Many AK-47's are fully-automatic. However, they are for military use, not civilian.
    And fully automatic 'machine guns' have been illegal for decades.

  12. #41
    Member Array DSRTEAGLE357's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    nebraska
    Posts
    142
    what about this below from our first president:
    ElkSniper likes this.
    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington

  13. #42
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,782
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    And fully automatic 'machine guns' have been illegal for decades.
    They're lawful to have from the standpoint of federal law, assuming you pay the tax (stamp/registration), and assuming one's state doesn't otherwise prohibit it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  14. #43
    Member Array ElkSniper's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    182
    I think commenting on such Facebook posts is not a bad idea. But the comment should be respectful, brief, and either pointed or funny. It will make people that read it not have a negative reaction to the comment. To that end, I like this response:

    Quote Originally Posted by DSRTEAGLE357 View Post
    what about this below from our first president:

    " A free people ought not only to be armed & disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms & ammo to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them including their own government"
    George Washington
    It disagrees with the Reagen quote with a quote from an even greater president. Simple, not attacking, just a different point of view.

    Another option I thought of would be to question the post with something like:
    That's odd since machine gun style military weapons have been banned since the 1930's.
    Implicitely questioning the authority and sincerity of the post, without outright attacking it.

    My goal in commenting on a facebook post like this is to get people to think and not quietly allow them to just feel a certain way about an issue because of a cute/trite post someone came up with.

  15. #44
    VIP Member Array BugDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Gulf Coast of Florida
    Posts
    9,369
    Go back to that Facebook page and post this, then see what they have to say:
    Attached Images
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.


    Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

  16. #45
    Senior Member Array SigPapa226's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Go back to that Facebook page and post this, then see what they have to say:
    It appears that gun violence is associate with voting Communist.
    BugDude likes this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

reagan ak47 quote

,
reagan anti gun
,

reagan anti gun quotes

,
reagan quotes on guns
,
ronald reagan 2nd amendment quotes
,
ronald reagan ak 47 quote
,
ronald reagan ak47
,

ronald reagan ak47 quote

,
ronald reagan anti gun quote
,
ronald reagan gun control quote
,
ronald reagan gun control quotes
,
ronald reagan gun quotes
Click on a term to search for related topics.