Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

This is a discussion on Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; One can question the man's mental health at the time he made the comment. One can simply claim no one is perfect and Reagan showed ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Image: The latest anti-gun rhetoric spreading on Facebook uses Ronald Reagan quote

One can question the man's mental health at the time he made the comment.

One can simply claim no one is perfect and Reagan showed his ignorance when using the term "machine gun" in this statement, since machine guns have been illegal for private ownership (with some caveats and scrutiny from the federal government) since the 1930s.

One can simply say no one has the right to tell us what we can and cannot use to defend ourselves and our homes, plain and simple.

Or, a mix of the three.

Your thoughts?

I agree wholeheartedly. His mental health is obviously a concern, but the fact that he uses the words, "machine gun," cements this quote as being mostly irrelevant. As you already stated, machine guns have been for the most part illegal for private ownership for a long time.

In my mind, this quote exemplifies the uneducated nature of most anti-gunners. I couldn't tell you how many folks I have spoken with who think the gun Adam Lanza used was a fully automatic machine gun, or who believe anyone can legally own a fully-auto M-16 or AK-47.

Fight these kinds of arguments with facts. Those who are on the fence will be swayed by the facts, as they are irrefutable and unarguably support our side.
    Spirit51, mano3 and cmdrdredd like this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    There are currently 37 states here in the U.S. that allow the possession of automatic weapons. The requirements are that you submit an application to BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco &, Firearms & Explosives. As part of that application a complete criminal background investigation is done and you must submit a set of current fingerprints as part of the process.(Finger Prints fee's vary from $15-$20 depending on the state of residence)

Once approved, you will be required to pay a one-time fee of $200 for a Federal Tax Stamp per weapon (There are NO, REPEAT NO additional FEE'S,Dealer's Licenses or anything additional required!!)

With the GCA of 1986 (Gun Control Act) Civilians are not allowed to posess fully automatic weapons unless they were manufactured prior to 1986. The weapons manufactured before 1986 are "Grandfathered" meaning they can still be LEGALLY transfered thru a licensed/bonded Class III NFA Weapons Dealer.NO fully automatic weapons made after 1986 are legal for civilians to own or possess.

In addition the permit once issued requires that the permit be with the registered licensed weapon at all times and especially when transported. You must also show proof that the registered weapon is stored in a safe or locked container that meets BATFE guidelines. Issuing the Permit also allows BATFE to make a personal inspection of your residence or storage area once annually.(Usually announced prior by appointment)

A true Kalashnikov fully automatic AK47 in today's market would be priced at $20,000 to $25,000
    BugDude and Ksgunner like this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Was his mental health that bad at that point? It was said two weeks after he left office.

I don't care what quote they pull out from anyone, if it's inaccurate, trash it.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I don't care what quote they pull out from anyone, if it's inaccurate, trash it.
    What do you mean by "inaccurate" as it applies to Reagan's beliefs in this statement?
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Was his mental health that bad at that point? It was said two weeks after he left office.
    Not sure. I don't think it was, but it's one of the points I've read on Facebook, and it was also a point used by, I believe, the Gun Owners of America when being interviewed by someone on television. Maybe Piers Morgan?

Quote Originally Posted by AZJD1968 View Post
    What do you mean by "inaccurate" as it applies to Reagan's beliefs in this statement?
    It's inaccurate in that Reagan is incorrectly referring to machine guns.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by TheConcealer View Post
    It's inaccurate in that Reagan is incorrectly referring to machine guns.
    Aren't many AK47's fully automatic? And isn't that what a machine gun is?
    DontTreadOnI likes this.

President Reagan along with Presidents Ford and Carter supported the expired gun ban.
    Ronald Reagan Helped Pass The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Aren't many AK47's fully automatic? And isn't that what a machine gun is?
    Many AK-47's are fully-automatic. However, they are for military use, not civilian.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    NRA

Many AK-47's are fully-automatic. However, they are for military use, not civilian.
    OK, Reagan agreed that those and all "military-style assault weapons" should only be used by the military. But I don't agree with trashing his statement.... it is what he believed.

Please read the article linked by Crowman in post 10.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Ronald Reagan didn't write the Constitution. The Gun Control Act of 1986 is unconstitutional.

Furthermore, machine guns are useful for legitimate self-defense, defense of country, or defense from tyranny. Regardless, necessity is not a prerequisite for constitutional protection... Merely that something be an 'arm'.

We don't need gun control, we need criminal control. Why would we let them out if we don't trust them with a gun?

OK, Reagan agreed that those and all "military-style assault weapons" should only be used by the military. But I don't agree with trashing his statement.... it is what he believed.

Please read the article linked by Crowman in post 10.
    First you agree with me, then edit your post?

Nowhere in the above quote did he say, "military style assault weapons," and nowhere in the link did he say that. Furthermore I didn't trash his statement, only said it was irrelevant in terms of gun control since he is talking specifically about a gun control item that has already been reached, making fully-automatic weapons nearly impossible to own.

And if you want to talk Reagan in 1994, he was certainly feeling the disabling effects of Alzheimers.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    NRA

I agree wholeheartedly. His mental health is obviously a concern, but the fact that he uses the words, "machine gun," cements this quote as being mostly irrelevant. As you already stated, machine guns have been for the most part illegal for private ownership for a long time..
    Since 1934.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links