"I will take off my uniform and stand with freedom"

This is a discussion on "I will take off my uniform and stand with freedom" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Police Chief "I Will Take My Uniform Off and Stand with Freedom Before I..." - YouTube Good man! Thats what is supposed to be said ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: "I will take off my uniform and stand with freedom"

Police Chief "I Will Take My Uniform Off and Stand with Freedom Before I..." - YouTube

Good man! Thats what is supposed to be said and he said it in 2 minutes.

VIP Member
    Check out the likes/dislikes ratio.
    aceakarick likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Wow.
    I'd stand next to him in a heartbeat.
    TX expat and foxytwo like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

VIP Member
    Well maybe he shouldn't enforce eviction notices because they are unpopular and somewhere somehow
    someone has decided for himself that they aren't constitutional by some convoluted form of reasoning.

He may be playing to a base that elects him, but he is not upholding his side of the bargain
    with respect to following the law as he is encouraging future law breaking, and that is unseemly
    when it comes from any LEO for any reason.

“Public safety professionals serving in the executive branch do not have the constitutional authority, responsibility, and in most cases, the credentials to determine the constitutionality of any issue,” Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said in a statement. Law enforcement officials should leave it to the courts to decide whether a law is constitutional or not."

Colorado sheriff blasts colleagues over refusal to enforce gun laws - U.S. News
    Clodbert and keboostman like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Rather than concern oneself with what someone is saying, perhaps we should concern ourselves with WHY they feel prompted to say it.

The Sheriff is the utlimate authority in a county. There is no higher office of Law Enforcement.

There are over 100 Sheriffs across this country that habve made similar statements. The only question that matters, is WHY?

Have things got to that point? Apparently so. I know lots of LEO's in my area that feel the same way. What we are hearing on the public arena is a very small percentage of the big picture.

If that doesnt concern you, then you arent paying enough attention.

“Public safety professionals serving in the executive branch do not have the constitutional authority, responsibility, and in most cases, the credentials to determine the constitutionality of any issue,” Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said in a statement. Law enforcement officials should leave it to the courts to decide whether a law is constitutional or not."
    Another myth that people use to justify doing nothing.

Reality is that the LAW is whatever the Sheriff chooses to enforce or not enforce. Nothing else matters. Everything else is semantics.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Rather than concern oneself with what someone is saying, perhaps we should concern ourselves with WHY they feel prompted to say it.

The Sheriff is the utlimate authority in a county. There is no higher office of Law Enforcement.
    Uh, wrong. The DA decides what cases he will or won't accept. He and the attorney general can instruct
    the sheriff as to what the law is. There are variations on the powers the Sheriff has from state to state--
    ceremonial in some places, and the only law in others. But in the end, the DA and the attorney general call the shots.

Now, I'll start to worry and worry a lot when a sheriff declares that he won't follow the law as
    understood by the DA and the state's attorney general, because then you have anarchy.
    keboostman likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    God Bless you chief,every time I hear this It chokes me up and I'm not ashamed to say it. You stand, and you will have alot of company.We wiil stand together, we will prevail together, or we will go down together,in the company of honorable patriotic Americans.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

said the public safety professional who, by his own admission does not have the credentials to determine the constitutionality of any issue.
    TVJ and TheConcealer like this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Senior Moderator
    Now, I'll start to worry and worry a lot when a sheriff declares that he won't follow the law as
    understood by the DA and the state's attorney general, because then you have anarchy.
    Why is that you use and throw that word ANARCHY around so much? It aint happening.

I just had a lenthy conversation with our DA yesterday after he taught the legal portion of the CHL class in which we had 45 students.
    We talked about this very thing.

He is totally on board with not enforcing UnConstitutional laws...ecpecially those that infringe upon the Second Amendment. He wont do it, our Judges wont do it, and our LEO's wont do it.
    I see living here as much more peacable and safter then say, Chicago or L.A.

I haven't seen any anarchy yet, and it certainly wont come from a Sheriff not enforcing some bogus federal law. Go live for a week in the slums of Detroit and then come tell me about anarchy.
    OD*, TVJ, cmdrdredd and 3 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I suspect that this police chief has gotten or will soon be getting some interesting phone calls from a 202 area code number.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Why is that you use throw that word ANARCHY around so much? It aint happening.

I just had a lenthy conversation with our DA yesterday after he taught the legal portion of the CHL class in which we had 45 students.
    We talked about this very thing.

He is totally on board with not enforcing UnConstitutional laws...ecpecially those that infringe upon the Second Amendment. He wont do it, our Judges wont do it, and our LEO's wont do it.
    I see living here as much more peacable and safter then say, Chicago or L.A.

I haven't seen any anarchy yet, and it certainly wont come from a Sheriff not enforcing some bogus federal law. Go live for a week in the slums of Detroit and then come tell me about anarchy.
    You haven't seen it yet because he has not yet taken such a stance after a law was litigated in a Federal courthouse as to constitutionality. Do you really think he (The DA) would disobey a law that is NOT being challenged by your state's
    attorney general? Do you really think he would issue you orders to ignore a law which perhaps your AG
    says should be enforced?

Well, Arkansas did that once, and it didn't work out well for your governor or your state.

You wrote, "He is totally on board with not enforcing UnConstitutional laws...ecpecially those that infringe upon the Second Amendment. He wont do it, our Judges wont do it, and our LEO's wont do it."
    That of course was the way things operated in the deep south during the 1950s and early 1960s. It didn't work
    out so well then.

Anyway, this is all very hypothetical because so far there is not a single new Federal law of any sort on this subject,
    and should an AWB go into force, what makes you think it would be any less constitutional than its prior incarnation, or enforced with any less vigor?
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    but he is not upholding his side of the bargain
    with respect to following the law as he is encouraging future law breaking
    Any law that is unconstitutional is therefor not a law, and unenforceable, per the Supreme Court.

Law comes out tomorrow saying the government can take someones property without due process, guess what? That's unconstitutional. Due process is required as already stated.
    mbguy29577 and cmdrdredd like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    said the public safety professional who, by his own admission does not have the credentials to determine the constitutionality of any issue.
    So? He spoke reality. Why do you have a problem with that? What he said is 100% correct.

I'm struggling to think of how to respond so it doesn't appear that I am trying to bicker in violation of our rules.
    Let's just put it this way. There is a well established way for a law's applicability and constitutionality to be
    determined. Typically, if there will be a challenge to a Federal law it originates with the State's Attorneys General.
    There is some sort of initial injunction, or not, and the case wends its way through the circuit courts to The Supremes.
    The sheriff is correct that he lacks the "constitutional authority, responsibility, and in most cases, the credentials to determine the constitutionality of any issue."

That doesn't mean he can't hold an opinion and express it. It means that if his opinion is contrary to the law,
    he needs guidance from his DA, who needs an AG's opinion from the State's AG office, and they--if they agree
    the law is not constitutional-- need to go to Federal Court and make their case. That is the lawful and appropriate
    means by which these matters are settled; not by the whim of individuals.
    Andrew Jackson

I do not understand why some are arguing that an individual or law enforcement official can decide what is constitutional and what is not. The courts decide that and the assertion of others is just that--an assertion. If anyone could decide what was constitutional then we would have anarchy just like Hop said.
    Clodbert likes this.

Senior Moderator
    enforced with any less vigor?
    And just what exactly got enforced? The only thing that happened was that a lot of imports quit, and the guns that got manufactured that met the standards had to have LEO or Military stamped on them. That was it.
    No one got popped for having a banned "assault weapon" that I know of.

It was a federal law.

We(at the state level) sure didnt enforce it.

Here is a question for all you scholars out there...

Who is going to ENFORCE anything? As a police officer I get to decide what I want to enforce or not. That is the bottom line.
    If I dont want to pop you for going 1 mile over the speed limit, guess what, you dont get a ticket.
    If I dont want to stop a guy for going 10 over the limit, guess what, you dont get a ticket.
    If I dont want to give you a ticket for not using a turn signal, then you dont get a ticket.

Some here would have us beleive that by refusing to enforce the speed limit, anarchy would prevail because we choose not to enforce the LAW as it is written.

I am raising the red Bravo Sierra flag on that one, because if you beleive that, you may understand how things are supposed to work, but you really dont understand how things really work.
    RT, 8th ID, cmdrdredd and 6 others like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links