Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

This is a discussion on Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; He almost 'gets it'.... certinally 'headed' in the right direction....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

He almost 'gets it'.... certinally 'headed' in the right direction.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Senior Moderator
    Northeastern liberal sensibilities, while intact on other issues, had shifted on the question of gun ownership.
    I find it odd that when a liberal comes to an "awakening" of sorts on issues that most people with sense understood a long time ago, they find it necessary to publish ridiculous articles about that awakening and they assume because they didn't have a clue that no one else in the world did.
    I really get tired of that crap.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Interesting perspective. Sad that the author doesn't get the point of the 2nd Amendment, but I believe it is a right for all Americans; not just the ones who think and believe as I do.
    Darrow75 likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

One of my friends that I have helped pick out guns, was with her when she bought guns, and has gone shooting with me MANY times is also in a committed same-gender relationship. Has been for 10 years+ I've known her. One might assume and even label her as a liberal because of one specific aspect of her life, but in most every other regards is actually a very conservative person. We don't talk politics, but she is very vocal about supporting 2A rights and not compromising them with gun control. We can't make assumptions. It takes an open mind on both ends of the conversation.

I had known her for a number of years when she came to me and said, "I've heard you and the other guys talk about going shooting and I'd like you to help me choose a gun and teach me how to use it." I invested the time and effort to help her and she became a very big 2A supporter. She got her permit, more guns, and even got her partner into shooting. That's a score for gun rights.
    KoriBustard and Darrow75 like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

He's an idiot and still doesn't get it. Just b/c he owns a few guns doesn't mean he's on our side.

Am I reading the same article? He still doesn't get it. Just b/c he owns a few guns doesn't mean he understands what's at stake or what's going on. Just as clueless as the rest of them.

Liberals/democrats are for protecting people's rights? Since when?

Re: Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

Labels are divisive. I hang with loopy lefties and radical righties... And I learn something from all of them.

If we are going to protect the Second Amendment over the long haul, we'll need lots of allies, and liberal gunners who support the 2A are among the most powerful tools to have.

No offense to those who self identify as conservatives or libertarians, but the majority of the arguments that members of these groups generally find persuasive are not effective at swaying anti gunners to critically evaluate their positions. Nothing is better than a guy or gal who can say, I agree with you on x, y, and z, so clearly I'm not a loon.... but I considered p and q, and that is why I support 2A.

The evidence can be seen in the comments sections for gun news... where the same event will illicit two polar opposite responses.

Clinical, rational, and dispassionate arguments will be the most effective here.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Re: A very interesting article from.....The New York Times

Better to have this guy positively influencing anti gunners, than not.

I can guarantee that most libertarian and constitutionalist claims, no matter how correct they are, inspire anti gunners to entrench their anti gun sentiments.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Let's show him some patience. I'm sure that the stench of a liberal upbringing takes some time to wash off.
    BugDude and ctr like this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Overall, not a bad article. I like to hear of people who, after a lifelong indoctrination in anti-gun propaganda, finally get it. I do have one bone to pick with him, though...

From the article:

"I am aware that, statistically speaking, a gun in the home represents a far greater danger to its inhabitants than to an intruder."

That myth was debunked a long time ago.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; January 29th, 2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Overall, not a bad article. I like to here of people who, after a lifelong indoctrination in anti-gun propaganda, finally get it. I do have one bone to pick with him, though...

From the article:

"I am aware that, statistically speaking, a gun in the home represents a far greater danger to its inhabitants than to an intruder."

That myth was debunked a long time ago.
    I threw up in my mouth a little and couldn't take anything he said seriously after reading that load of steaming excrement.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Am I reading the same article? He still doesn't get it. Just b/c he owns a few guns doesn't mean he understands what's at stake or what's going on. Just as clueless as the rest of them.

Liberals/democrats are for protecting people's rights? Since when?
    Comments like this, or rather the attitude and closed minds behind them, are a perfect example of why gun rights are hanging in the balance. Part of the problem is that far too many think that it is acceptable to dictate to others which select subset of rights they are permitted to exercise.
    bklynboy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Comments like this, or rather the attitude and closed minds behind them, are a perfect example of why gun rights are hanging in the balance. Part of the problem is that far too many think that it is acceptable to dictate to others which select subset of rights they are permitted to exercise.
    No. Gun rights are being assaulted because there are those who wish to see us disarmed. Calling someone a libtard or
    drawing a line in the sand doesn't cause anything. We are where we are and it sure wasn't the pro 2A crowd that brought this on ourselves.
    ctr likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    I like it, even though he's not at the same place most of us are. There are alot of people out there who aren't sure exactly where they are on the gun control issue, but they have realized they do want a gun/guns for protection. I've been seeing alot of friends and family who are not guns owners or pro 2A but have decided with all the shootings and gun debate, they need to get a gun.
    BugDude likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links