Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner - Page 4

Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

This is a discussion on Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Rollo Making the assumption that liberal = anti gun and conservative = pro gun is plain and simply IGNORANT. The sad thing ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Making the assumption that liberal = anti gun and conservative = pro gun is plain and simply IGNORANT. The sad thing is that it is something I hear repeated on this 20 times a day. The number of potential allies you folks manage to alienate with your gross sweeping generalizations astounds me. Sorry... /rant off
    Rollo,

While I agree it's wrong to assume that all democrats are anti-gun I feel the opinion is based on pretty hard evidence.

Can you not admit that it's primarily the democratic party pushing for gun control? While there are some republicans that don't support the 2A there are far more democrats that are anti-gun.

I understand if you vote for democrats for reasons other than gun issues however I think it's a bit silly for you to get upset when we blast the liberals for pushing for gun control. I would rather you just state you accept the party for what it is and choose to vote for democrats for other reasons. I could respect that. Don't try to pretend any democrats are currently defending the 2nd Amendment.

Take a list of the Senators below who are supporting Feinstein's AWB. Notice anything next to their name?

Sen. Richard Blumenthal [D, CT]
    Sen. Barbara Boxer [D, CA]
    Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin [D, MD]
    Sen. Thomas R. Carper [D, DE]
    Sen. Richard J. Durbin [D, IL]
    Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand [D, NY]
    Sen. Frank R. Lautenberg [D, NJ]
    Sen. Carl Levin [D, MI]
    Sen. Robert Menendez [D, NJ]
    Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski [D, MD]
    Sen. Christopher Murphy [D, CT]
    Sen. Jack Reed [D, RI]
    Sen. John D. Rockefeller, IV [D, WV]
    Sen. Brian Schatz [D, HI]
    Sen. Charles E. Schumer [D, NY]
    Sen. Elizabeth Warren [D, MA]
    Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse [D, RI]

Just proceed with caution. Sheep in wolves clothing. A new anti approach? Draws you in and makes you look through the knot hole in the fence then wham....pokes you in the eye. There's a saying I'm familiar with. If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshtf. Please excuse the cynicism . I'm not letting down my guard.
    P.S. You don't fire a tank. I'm just anal that way.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

It could be. Who knows. I hate the word "but" when talking 2A rights. I've heard a lot of people say, "I support the second amendment, BUT..." or "I own a gun, BUT..." or "I shoot all the time, BUT...".

It's a divisive issue, but if we are engaged in talking with co-workers in an effort to garner support it is important not to drive someone to the opposite extreme before you even scratch the surface of your position and rationale. We're not trying to win over the extremists because they won't budge any more than we will. It's the people in the middle that we should not be so quick as to make assumptions, label, and push to the opposing viewpoint. We're trying to win them over...you know, win friends and influence people.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links