Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

This is a discussion on Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting read. Some good, bad, and indifferent points. I'm just shocked the NYT ran it. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/op...anted=all&_r=0 I guess it just goes to show you can't ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

Interesting read. Some good, bad, and indifferent points. I'm just shocked the NYT ran it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/op...anted=all&_r=0

I guess it just goes to show you can't assume all X or Y political affiliations necessarily agree with the party line.
    BurgerBoy, Darrow75 and bklynboy like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Making the assumption that liberal = anti gun and conservative = pro gun is plain and simply IGNORANT. The sad thing is that it is something I hear repeated on this 20 times a day. The number of potential allies you folks manage to alienate with your gross sweeping generalizations astounds me. Sorry... /rant off

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Interesting read. Some good, bad, and indifferent points. I'm just shocked the NYT ran it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/op...anted=all&_r=0

I guess it just goes to show you can't assume all X or Y political affiliations necessarily agree with the party line.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

VIP Member
    What it really comes down to for many liberals, including the author of the article, is that the Second Amendment right is not a fundamental issue for them. Despite the author's experience in feeling the need for protection, he places less value on that than his other ideals, which one can conclude is why he sticks with his assumed political party.

For many others, myself included, 2A is a foundational issue, meaning that if a candidate is 99 percent aligned with my ideology in other areas, I will still vote against them for this single issue. It is that important to me.
    Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.

Cronin is a pretty big author otherwise I don't think his opinion would be published.

As you know, some people are just more important than others and deserve to be heard. (Sarcasm)

Yep, that pretty much hit's the nail on the head. The vast majority of dems/libs REALLY don't care about your guns. They don't care about anyone's guns. I vote democratic because at my core I have a firm belief that everyone deserves the same rights and protections under the law and that is contrary to the current conservative agenda. For me, that is more important than the 2A. If they changed 2 key points of their platform I would vote republican in a freaking heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    What it really comes down to for many liberals, including the author of the article, is that the Second Amendment right is not a fundamental issue for them. Despite the author's experience in feeling the need for protection, he places less value on that than his other ideals, which one can conclude is why he sticks with his assumed political party.

For many others, myself included, 2A is a foundational issue, meaning that if a candidate is 99 percent aligned with my ideology in other areas, I will still vote against them for this single issue. It is that important to me.
    Eichorn, noway2 and bklynboy like this.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I hope the article causes us all to think about how we frame our discussions and not making assumptions as we try to influence others to support all of our rights. If we make assumptions and use devisive labels, we alienate people before they ever have a chance to hear the message. A vast majority of people are not far left or far right, but somewhere in the middle. Those are the people who's opinions and support can be influenced on this one issue one way or the other with knowledge, facts, reason, and respect. I know a lot of people who are liberal who are gun owners and supporters. I also know a lot of people who would say they are conservative but have no use or interest in firearms or supporting firearm friendly legislation. You just can't predict how any one individual may feel about firearms or how they may be influenced by how we handle the conversation.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

A very interesting article from.....The New York Times

I found this fascinating. I t shows that you don't have to be a conservative to be pro-gun and that a lot of stereotypes can be wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/op...gun-owner.html
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Okay, this guy lost me when he said he didn't like shotguns because they bruise his delicate shoulder. Yup, he's a liberal all right. In any case, a liberal who says they are for gun rights is like me saying I'm a vegetarian because I like lettuce on my double bacon cheeseburger.
    TheConcealer and oneshot like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    Okay, this guy lost me when he said he didn't like shotguns because they bruise his delicate shoulder. Yup, he's a liberal all right. In any case, a liberal who says they are for gun rights is like me saying I'm a vegetarian because I like lettuce on my double bacon cheeseburger.
    Why? I support gay marriage, abortion, the environment, many regulations that protect us from unelected corporate predators...all liberal issues, AND I support gun rights. Not everybody has to choose a team. I'm a lefty libertarian lol.
    noway2, bklynboy and Noobie like this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cayman_shen View Post
    Why? I support gay marriage, abortion, the environment, many regulations that protect us from unelected corporate predators...all liberal issues, AND I support gun rights. Not everybody has to choose a team. I'm a lefty libertarian lol.
    I also support gay marriage and am an environmentalist. I am very much a libertarian. I didn't mean any offense and was really just making a joke. But you know, you make a great point as to how we generalize and stereotype people. I truly believe that all generalizations are wrong.

Oh, and by the way, the predators aren't solely among the unelected.
    cayman_shen and Noobie like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Good article, although I don't think he truly understands the threat that the presidents proposals have the potential to be against the 2nd Amendment. As a former liberal who still has a few lingering left-leaning sentiments,I appreciate that he embraces responsible gun ownership but he seems to look at it on a purely academic level, almost as if he is one step removed from the true purpose for the right to keep and bear arms. I do think he is coming around though and see this as a progression to one day fully understanding the 2nd Amendment.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Article in NYT: Confessions of a Liberal Gun Owner

HotGuns should be here any minute to lead a group hug.
    HotGuns likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Re: A very interesting article from.....The New York Times

"AR15 is a gas to shoot, but so is a tank, and I don't need a tank"

"I loathe the NRA"

DANG almost liked him there for a minute....
    sigmanluke likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Moderator
    The vast majority of dems/libs REALLY don't care about your guns. They don't care about anyone's guns.
    The same thing could be said for Republicans.

Its the ones that DO CARE about my guns that worry me.
    BugDude, Doghandler, ctr and 1 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

He is a bit all over the place. At least he had the smarts to have someone teach him and his daughter about guns before going out and just shooting.

"Some of the Obama administration’s proposals strike me as more symbolic than effective, with some 300 million firearms on the loose. But the White House’s recommendations seem like a good starting point and nothing that would prevent me from protecting my family in a crisis."

Really???

Be safe!
    NEVER point a gun at something you are not prepared to destroy!
    AND for GODS sake, get your finger off the trigger until you are ready to squeeze the trigger!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links