Universal & "Expanded" Background Checks: Scariest Bill

This is a discussion on Universal & "Expanded" Background Checks: Scariest Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm telling you, the more and more I think about the idea of universal and expanded background checks, the more it scares me. Between the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Universal & "Expanded" Background Checks: Scariest Bill

Universal & "Expanded" Background Checks: Scariest Bill

I'm telling you, the more and more I think about the idea of universal and expanded background checks, the more it scares me.

Between the fact that a poster here who was an FFL holder discovering that the powers-at-be hold NCIC checks longer than the stated, "3 months" and the fact that this is being pushed as the "compromise" by the Democrats (or will be)..this is the one to watch out for. The AWB was just a distraction for this bill.

They have will everything they want. Who and who isn't a gun owner, expanded checks will bring the type of firearms owned, and previous 4473s will be digitized, scanned, and sent to the new data center to record all the old transactions.

Thoughts?
    niks, BugDude, msgt/ret and 4 others like this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yep.

The noose tightens.
    zacii and Chaplain Scott like this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Bingo!!! If they require all firearms to have a background check, they only way they can ensure that is to have every gun nregistered. That's the next logical progression in the agenda. Once registered, taxation, then incremental confiscation. All the other stuff is just noise, a ruse of distraction to the real goal.
    phreddy, msgt/ret, zacii and 3 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Universal & "Expanded" Background Checks: Scariest Bill

I'm not normally the type of person to start threads like this, or even comment, but this background thing "clicked" for me, and I don't think it has yet for many on this site.

Something stinks, and it's not just the camel's nose in the tent anymore.

I'm only 27, therefore I have no "experience" of being effected with erronious (sp?) and misguided gun laws in my lifetime. However, when I talk with the "older" guys who were around for the previous AWB and even the documenting ammo buyers crap back in the 60s to gain some sort of knowledge and perspective, they can't offer any because they've never seen stuff like this before and the uncharted waters that we're in. That scares me when even the old-timers don't know what's going to happen.
    zacii likes this.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Bingo!!! If they require all firearms to have a background check, they only way they can ensure that is to have every gun nregistered. That's the next logical progression in the agenda. Once registered, taxation, then incremental confiscation. All the other stuff is just noise, a ruse of distraction to the real goal.
    Yup. You'll open your mailbox to see your annual tax payment notice/ renewal notice of required fees due on these herein listed guns from the BATFE. I don't think that's much of a stretch.

What are the chances that this bill doesn't pass?

Everything that I own that is registered with some government agency has the snot taxed out of it. And if you can't pay the taxes, they take your property. I have no reason to think this would be any different.

I would foresee the progression to having to list them on your federal income tax return much like dependents and then having to pay a tax on each one each year. If your list doesn't match their list, you have to put where, when, how, and to whom was the disposition. If audited and found to be an issue, huge fines and penalties.

Of course, that would just a step towards incremental banning and relinquishment that puts a little money in their coffers. It would deter some from owning any or from owning a large number. That way there's not as many out there when they go get them.

Just my thoughts. I suspect they have a plan that has been thought through many steps down the line.
    TVJ, zacii, WHEC724 and 1 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    This measure is the set-up for the really scary stuff.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    What are the chances that this bill doesn't pass?
    Same chance of Obama being re-elected

Distinguished Member
    I see the enforcement of the background checks as the big issue. If it was possible to open NICS to private individuals to call in a verify a purchaser, I could support it. The problem comes when the feds want you to prove the background check was run. I think this is the part that is missing in the polls showing widespread support.

VIP Member
    I could envision the ATF requiring all 4473s being computerized and a so-called background check being completed automatically as the 4473 is filled out what they will forget to mention is that while you are filling it out the 4473 it is being stored in a database somewhere.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I see the enforcement of the background checks as the big issue. If it was possible to open NICS to private individuals to call in a verify a purchaser, I could support it...
    What business is it of the federal government's to intervene in private transactions? This is not a power explicitly defined in the constitution, nor is it reserved to the states. Aside from that what benefit is there to conduct these checks? Do you believe criminals will comply with such a law? Or is it more likely that you won't be able to dial into the system to complete a background check on your next-door neighbor who wants to purchase a .22 from you as a gift for his son?
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    the fact that this is being pushed as the "compromise" by the Democrats (or will be)..this is the one to watch out for. The AWB was just a distraction for this bill.
    I completely agree. I posted my thoughts on another thread, so I'll link instead of re-posting. Fienstiens bill was planned by design to fail - to push "compromise" legislation. You are right on the money.

What is Senator Feinstein's agenda?? < direct link to the post

Yup. Everybody so far has nailed it.

The powers that be have a game plan, everything is deliberate.

I personally think that Fast & Furious was designed to get this ball rolling, but it didn't work out so well. Then along came Sandy Hook and they hit while the iron was hot to take advantage of it.

These are unparalleled times and will prove who is for liberty, and who isn't.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    revldm likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

I would foresee the progression to having to list them on your federal income tax return much like dependents and then having to pay a tax on each one each year. If your list doesn't match their list, you have to put where, when, how, and to whom was the disposition. If audited and found to be an issue, huge fines and penalties.

Precisely. Like with the environmental programs, the agency's assessment is assumed to be accurate (with the weight of law behind it), and the burden of proof is on the individual, with the agency acting as the judge. The govt's inherent incompetency will work in their favor as frustrated gun owners pare down what they own, in order to cut back on their income tax hassle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links