Neil Heslin, Father Of Newtown Victim, Heckled By Pro-Gun Activists

This is a discussion on Neil Heslin, Father Of Newtown Victim, Heckled By Pro-Gun Activists within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by The Fish Whether it was heckling or not,it doesn't help to convince some people to come over to the pro-gun rights position. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Neil Heslin, Father Of Newtown Victim, Heckled By Pro-Gun Activists

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Whether it was heckling or not,it doesn't help to convince some people to come over to the pro-gun rights position.
    You don't have to convince people who agree with you in any political situation,you have to get people who are undecided to change their minds.
    The guy lost a kid...he gets some slack,at least for a while.
    Sorry but I don't agree. First off, the people who were "heckling" were responding to his question. They were't doing anything other than answering the challenge of his question. What are they supposed to do, sit there silently and not say anything. Yeah. Then the media would headline with "when the grieving father asked why anyone needs these weapons, nobody even tried to rebut his logical plea for the AWB."

Secondly, I don't believe he gets any slack if he's going to take up a microphone and start trying to rationalise why we should lose our rights. If he wants to grieve, then he needs to maintain the level of privacy that I believe all of those families are due. If he's going to take to the pulpit, so to speak, then he's not due any more than the next guy pushing his political agenda.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fish View Post
    Whether it was heckling or not,it doesn't help to convince some people to come over to the pro-gun rights position.
    You don't have to convince people who agree with you in any political situation,you have to get people who are undecided to change their minds.
    The guy lost a kid...he gets some slack,at least for a while.
    He was denied no slack, merely had his question answered. To remain silent is to acknowledge the veracity of the assertion. To speak up, even honestly and politely gets one lambasted as an insensitive heckler. Feed 'em beans.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Tough freaking crowd. In my book he gets a pass. He has my utmost sympathies.

This is not to say that I think politicians should be persuaded by what he has to say, but I say leave him alone. Just let him say his peace and get off his back. Fight the fight in another room at another time.

This is also the most politically correct thing I ever remember saying.
    BugDude and BigCityChief like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Tough freaking crowd. In my book he gets a pass. He has my utmost sympathies.

This is not to say that I think politicians should be persuaded by what he has to say, but I say leave him alone. Just let him say his peace and get off his back. Fight the fight in another room at another time.

This is also the most politically correct thing I ever remember saying.
    They all have my sympathies, but not license to try to deprive us of the right and the means to defend ours and ourselves with the tools we currently have available. Their defenseless children were murdered. That is no justification to render the rest of us defenseless.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I am sorry for his loss but one can only assume that if a law suite is brought against the county school system and the shooter, his name will be the leading name on the document.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    I am sorry for his loss but one can only assume that if a law suite is brought against the county school system his name will be the leading name on the document.
    I hope they win, and that in the resultant epiphany every gun free zone in the country is abolished.
    Tuco

Having been in the past where this father is now I can tell you he isnt in complete control of his faculties yet. But he doenst get a pass from me. I dont blame the gun that killed my son but the person or persons who did it. Nobody was identified so I dont even have a specific person to hate. Just a shadow person I know is still out there,. Even with that it wasnt the gun it was the trigger puller I blamed and still do.

My heart breaks for all of those parents or any parent that loses a child in any fashion. And I understand it takes a while to get your ability for rational thought back. A good while. Even then you arent same person you were before.
    My child meant no less to me than his did to him. If I had put myself on some public vendetta against guns against all common sense at all then I would have opened myself to rebuttal.

Thats why it angers me so much that if I can lose my 13 yr old to gun violence and still realize it wasnt the gun but the person using it, why officials that havent suffered any sort of violence using a firearm cant understand it.

Sorry for the rant but I guess what is making me so mad about this is that the antis and the media are using this poor father and blood of innocent children to further an agenda they darn well know is wrong.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Having been in the past where this father is now I can tell you he isnt in complete control of his faculties yet. But he doenst get a pass from me. I dont blame the gun that killed my son but the person or persons who did it. Nobody was identified so I dont even have a specific person to hate. Just a shadow person I know is still out there,. Even with that it wasnt the gun it was the trigger puller I blamed and still do.

My heart breaks for all of those parents or any parent that loses a child in any fashion. And I understand it takes a while to get your ability for rational thought back. A good while. Even then you arent same person you were before.
    My child meant no less to me than his did to him. If I had put myself on some public vendetta against guns against all common sense at all then I would have opened myself to rebuttal.

Thats why it angers me so much that if I can lose my 13 yr old to gun violence and still realize it wasnt the gun but the person using it, why officials that havent suffered any sort of violence using a firearm cant understand it.

Sorry for the rant but I guess what is making me so mad about this is that the antis and the media are using this poor father and blood of innocent children to further an agenda they darn well know is wrong.
    I'm very sorry for your loss. I appreciate and agree with your opinions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post

Very sorry for your loss. The perspective you bring is one I wish on no one, but I'm thankful that you have posted up your feelings on this tragic situation.

I think your 'anger' is justified, given your personal experience, but I would suggest that you consider that these politicians and officials understand, very well, the situation. They have an agenda bent on disarming the lawful citizens of our country and they use these tragedies as a springboard for their agenda. The mainstream media and anti-gun groups all support them, and give them credit and praise for their own purposes, but are just as guilty of trying to further an agenda that is not about making anyone safe; it's all about control and power over those that would disagree with them.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    They all have my sympathies, but not license to try to deprive us of the right and the means to defend ours and ourselves with the tools we currently have available. Their defenseless children were murdered. That is no justification to render the rest of us defenseless.
    He's not doing anything. He's just in a state of mental chaos because his 6 year old was murdered last month. I don't support the vitriol directed towards him. I think he should be acknowledged and ultimately ignored, but I give him a pass to say absolutely anything at this point. Bringing up this man in any type of 2A argument is not an effective tactic.
    BigCityChief likes this.

VIP Member
    He's not doing anything. He's just in a state of mental chaos because his 6 year old was murdered last month. I don't support the vitriol directed towards him. I think he should be acknowledged and ultimately ignored, but I give him a pass to say absolutely anything at this point. Bringing up this man in any type of 2A argument is not an effective tactic.
    Where is the vitriol? He bought himself into the 2nd Amendment argument, and got answers to the questions he asked.
    oakchas, phreddy and Snub44 like this.
    Tuco

He put HIMSELF out there. If you can't handle the responses, don't publicize yourself. Really is that simple.
    Hoganbeg likes this.

oakchas and gasmitty like this.

VIP Member
    Yes, all right there. I saw the unedited footage on CBS Today this morning, but the doctored versions soon began making the headlines.
    Tuco

It's always sad to me, tho, that the 'doctored' version will be all some see. It won't matter that it was doctored in the first place, nor that the full edition was later made available. Some are content to take 'news' as the bytes hit, and do no further research.

dan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links