New York - Just.....Wow....

This is a discussion on New York - Just.....Wow.... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Make no mistake about it............this is The Bill Of Rights we're talkin' about here and every appointed or elected official who takes the oath of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New York - Just.....Wow....

Make no mistake about it............this is The Bill Of Rights we're talkin' about here and every appointed or elected official who takes the oath of office is sworn on a bible to up hold and defend the US Constitution from enemies foreign and Domestic.

Fox News.....Pres. to begin putting pressure on Gun and Ammo manufactures through executive power.
    Rahm Emanuel sending letters to banks to cut off funding to Firearms and Ammo manufactures.
    Judge Napalitano......this is not legal.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    It's sad that mere thoughts that this could ever happen here have gotten this close to reality.
    SigPapa226 likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    While I agree that it seems more reasonable to move to a more gun-friendly state rather than risk your life over these laws, perhaps they are willing to make a point here and now so that what is happening in New York doesn't set a dangerous precedent that spreads to more states, and eventually, to the rest of the country.

They could also be wanting to save their state, as they see it, rather than flee from their homes. Stand and die or run and hide? Thse could be the options that these New Yorkers are mulling over right now. What is sensible to those who live outside of the state might not be perceived the same way by those who have made their homes there.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Is "Natural News" a reputable media outlet? How do we know this is true?

And something has to be done about imminent gun control legislation, but I'm not sure "civil disobedience" is the best tactic. Remember how annoying Occupy Wall Street was? Remember how little it accomplished (other than waste taxpayer money)?
    Define reputable. Are ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX or any of the rest "reputable"?

Were the Federalist Papers, as they were printed in the papers of the times, article by article, "reputable?"

If we allow (for our part) any peaceful demonstrations or civil disobedience to devolve into the likes of the "Occupy movement" we deserve to lose. That said, resistance in the manner of civil disobedience may not be enough... but who might fire the first shot? They dare not allow one of our own to be martyred for the cause... nor can we stoop to violence... resistance? Yes. Defense? Possibly. In the gravest extreme? I pray not.

The times, they are a changing. Interesting times to be sure.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Sounds like New York gun owners are between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully a peaceful solution can be reached. This is surely the lead boiling point, what happens here could set the tone for some time to come. A successful forced overturn of the new laws would send shock-waves through the whole anti-gun movement. A forced compliance on a large scale will embolden the anti's with a fervor to rival that of a rabid dog.

Prayers to all our kindred spirits in New York. Tough times are ahead.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Seems (to me and maybe only me) the sensible, responsible, intelligent thing to do is to first challenge the constitutionality of the New York law through the courts all the way up if need be. I don't believe the law will stand on constitutional grounds. But no lets load up and hit the streets and just start shooting...yeah that will show em....

Yes it will show em....and they (the entire congress) will act with swift reaction..Yeap..this would be a great way to preserve your 2A rights....

And yes I did use the words "sensible, responsible, intelligent" knowing all the while that those three words do not apply to all concerned.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Ghandi was not the only advocate of civil disobedience who understood that faced with violence, it is reasonable to respond with violence, Martin Luther King believed in the same principle. Until I read the following I was unaware that MLK's house was an "arsenal" and that the tried to get a CC permit (what a shock, he was turned down !!!) Adam Winkler: MLK and His Guns.

IMHO, with respect to 2A issues, non-violent civil disobedience is fine, violent civil disobedience will result in marshal law, forcible disarmament and civil war. Frankly, any kind of civil disobedience is premature since there are many political and legal avenues to maintaining our 2A rights which have not yet run their course

Whoa there...THIS is how you fight these nonsensical laws:

Rifle & Pistol Association To File Notice To Sue State On Gun Law | Vote Up! | Vote Up NY

The NRA, NYSRPA, etc are already filing lawsuits to overturn the law. We're not to the point of marching on state capitols with arms - not yet.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Move. Life is too short to live somewhere stupid.
    JaxRolo likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

With NY & California taxes WHY would YOU NOT MOVE.
    I would leave so fast they HEAR ME EXITING. PhIL Mickelson is
    right JUST LEAVE.

Re: New York - Just.....Wow....

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Seems (to me and maybe only me) the sensible, responsible, intelligent thing to do is to first challenge the constitutionality of the New York law through the courts all the way up if need be. I don't believe the law will stand on constitutional grounds. But no lets load up and hit the streets and just start shooting...yeah that will show em....

Yes it will show em....and they (the entire congress) will act with swift reaction..Yeap..this would be a great way to preserve your 2A rights....

And yes I did use the words "sensible, responsible, intelligent" knowing all the while that those three words do not apply to all concerned.
    I didn't see any calls to hit the streets and start shooting. I saw a call to civil disobedience, failing to register the required firearms. IIRC, the law doesn't require immediate registration or surrender or sale, there is a one year time line.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Whoa there...THIS is how you fight these nonsensical laws:

Rifle & Pistol Association To File Notice To Sue State On Gun Law | Vote Up! | Vote Up NY

The NRA, NYSRPA, etc are already filing lawsuits to overturn the law. We're not to the point of marching on state capitols with arms - not yet.
    New Yorkers have a year before compliance is mandatory. Plenty of time to let the court system work, and a possible stay until resolved... Until then, march, protest, armed if legally permitted, and make your voice heard.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Boy I keep hearing the words of the fictional "Benjamin Martin" from the movie The Patriot: "would you tell me please, Mr. Howard, why should I trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away?" "an elected legislature can trample a mans rights as easily as a king can." Fitting.
    Last edited by smolck; January 29th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.
    BugDude likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Only 1 Million gun owners in NY? Huh? That sounds low. A 5% ownership rate (NY Population about 20 Million)? Sounds weirdly low. Even if you say NYC's 8 Million own "0" it's still only 10%.

I don't think you'll see bloodshed.

"Sheriffs understand their Constitutional obligations and the concerns of constituents Sheriffs and other law enforcement officers are not called upon by this new legislation to go door‐to‐door to confiscate any weapons newly classified as assault weapons, and will not do so."

New York State Sheriffs' Association responds to SAFE Act | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links