Went to a town hall meeting tonight

This is a discussion on Went to a town hall meeting tonight within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As the title says, I attended a town hall style meeting with my Congressman this evening, and thought I would share my observations. First, it ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By lchamp

Thread: Went to a town hall meeting tonight

Went to a town hall meeting tonight

As the title says, I attended a town hall style meeting with my Congressman this evening, and thought I would share my observations.

First, it was more crowded than I expected, and I believe anyone else expected. They opened up an over-flow room with audio/visual capabilities, and I would estimate 75-100 people in attendance, maybe a little more.

First question out of the gate was about those "assault weapons that the founding fathers could never have imagined, and what he thinks about banning them, and magazines, and stricter background checks" The congressman rather emphatically shot down the first two, and said he believed that some changes needed made in regards to mental health and firearms access (I am going to have to send a follow-up e-mail to him to learn specifics). But he stated that we don't need any new gun laws, because they only effect law abiding citizens and not criminals. His response also got the loudest/longest round of applause from the night.

I generally agreed with him on most of the points he made, and feel comfortable with him representing me. Since this is in the 2A forum, I will restrict my observations to that.

Remember folks, stay involved in the process, and contact your Congresspersons, on a regular basis.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Remember folks, stay involved in the process, and contact your Congresspersons, on a regular basis.
    I have contacted my representatives on all levels, and they don't care what I think. They want party unity and gun control and we can go to hades. I will work actively to help ANY opponent of the current crop of crooks in ruling positions.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; January 29th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.
    MACC12 likes this.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    Totally agree. If you care about your rights as gun owners there is no better time than now to have your voice heard. I, like many of you I'm sure, have sat on the sidelines. Write to your legislators, contribute to 2nd Amendment Rights groups, speak to your friend and neighbors. On this last point, I wrote to my state representative who is a democrat and fairly liberal. She responded saying that she has received dozens of emails from gun owners and commented that many anti-gun rights people may be shocked to find out how many of their friends and neighbors own guns.

I know many people don't feel comfortable writing to their legislators, but don't be intimidated. Keep is simple, polite, to the point and let them know that you will not stand for having the Constitution ignored.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Sounds good!

I went to ours in Idaho last night. Very positive and local legislatures looking to loosen our already great carry laws to include campus carry and constitutional carry!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    I have contacted my representatives on all levels, and they don't care what I think. They want party unity and gun control and we can go to hades. I will work actively to help ANY opponent of the current crop of crooks in ruling positions.
    Nelson is not a representative, IMO he is parasite feeding off the taxpayers and has been doing so for many years.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

+1. Thanks for your contacts and investing the time to attend. We've got to all get personally involved and communicate with our representatives. Thank you for doing your part!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

GOOD on you for being part of the process!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links