Response from my Rep. Andy Barr (freshman)

This is a discussion on Response from my Rep. Andy Barr (freshman) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will post the 'meat' of it. President Obama unveiled his package of gun control proposals at a press conference on January 16, 2013. As ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By sauerpuss

Thread: Response from my Rep. Andy Barr (freshman)

I will post the 'meat' of it.

President Obama unveiled his package of gun control proposals at a press conference on January 16, 2013. As you likely know, his plan included 23 Executive Orders, a call for an assault weapons ban, a ban on magazines of more than 10 rounds, and background checks upon the sale or transfer of all guns.

In response to these proposals, I have joined a number of my colleagues in the House and written a letter to President Obama expressing our concern that his approach does not sufficiently consider the voices of the millions of law-abiding Americans who support the Second Amendment. Further, I am troubled that the President, rather than work with Congress, continues to circumvent the legislative process and issue new and controversial rules unilaterally through Executive Orders. These are issues of national importance that I believe require legislative scrutiny and deserve a robust public discussion.

I remain committed to working toward real solutions that will realistically enhance safety in our communities and our schools, but I do not believe attacking the Second Amendment is the answer. As Congress and the President continue to look at what can be plausibly done to prevent mass shootings in the future, I will keep your strong support for the Second Amendment in mind and make sure that your voice is heard. Instead of infringing and disarming law-abiding citizens, Congress should focus on the real problem identifying people with a history of significant mental illness or social isolation and making sure they have access to the urgent care or counseling they need. I also believe that we can do a better job of enforcing our existing criminal gun laws, and addressing the glorification of violence in our culture and media.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me about this important issue. Rest assured, I will continue to defend Americans' right to keep and bear arms. Please visit my website or contact me again should other issues of concern to you come before the Congress. To stay better connected to current legislation and become part of our online community, please sign up for my e-newsletter at Congressman Andy Barr | Representing All the People of Kentucky's Sixth District.

Sincerely,

Andy Barr
    Member of Congress
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

There's a lot to like there! I'd stay in touch with him!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

She gets it.

He's a decent guy. I was glad to see someone knock Ben Chandler of his seat.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I got one back from John Yarmuth a couple days ago. (YUCK!! And is it just me or does he sound like Kermit the Frog?) It's what I expected. He lives in some alternate universe where there are no bad guys. He said, " I agree that Americans have the right to defend themselves and their property. I also believe that every American has the right to be safe from guns without carrying a gun." Sure, I BELIEVE that too. But I KNOW bad guys often come with guns, or knives, or some other weapon. And if a gun increases my chances for being safe, I am willing to take on the responsibility of learning to use one.

I'm glad Andy Barr lives here with us in reality.
    8th ID and BurgerBoy like this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    A fresh view from a freshman legislator. How refreshing.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sounds like he's a good representative of the people of KY.

Sponsored Links