BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo

This is a discussion on BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo Another battle to fight...if they can't confiscate guns directly, they'll shut down the ammo supply. I know ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hopyard
  • 2 Post By Tzadik

Thread: BATFE Taking Comments on a Pending Ban Ammo

Another battle to fight...if they can't confiscate guns directly, they'll shut down the ammo supply. I know I've seen some rumblings about this here, but this is the first I've seen of this from an official government (BATFE) website:

ATF Online - Firearms - Industry

2. Remove Ads

Window for comments has closed. They were accepting input until Dec 31, 2012.

Looks like they are trying to sneak another one past us.

well i have a feeling that a lawsuit could follow if they try to back door us.....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post

Another battle to fight...if they can't confiscate guns directly, they'll shut down the ammo supply. I know I've seen some rumblings about this here, but this is the first I've seen of this from an official government (BATFE) website:

ATF Online - Firearms - Industry
    I have followed the links in the above post, and also attempted to find the SPECIFIC published proposal and required
    request for public comments within The Federal Register. I can't. If the OP or anyone else has it, please post it here.

It is always possible that I am overlooking something, but I can not find the proposal in The Federal Register at all, and it is important to do so, as the only proper way to respond to rule making proposals is to write the address given in The Federal Register with the proposal, and reference the proposed rule in the response.

If you do write, your comment becomes part of a permanent public record. So if you don't want your name on the net
    forever, don't comment. Agencies will leave that public info up, the text of your comment and your name, for all to see.

Ah, on re-reading the article given by the OP, it is a little after the fact: old news if you would.

"The BATFE has opened the issue for public comment until December 31st, 2012"

That is why I couldn't find it by going through the 2013 proposals.

Also, please note that requests for public comments usually stay open for awhile. I don't recall the minimum time, but it is
    weeks. So this particular item would have been put forth before the last calamity in CT.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    Window for comments has closed. They were accepting input until Dec 31, 2012.

Looks like they are trying to sneak another one past us.
    No one is sneaking anything past anyone. There was the usual public comment period open for the usual time frame.

You can bet that the folks in the legal community who work for the ammo industry saw this. While most ordinary
    people don't bother to look at the Federal Register anymore than they read the routine legal notices in their daily rag,
    the folks who are affected do find out and do comment.

You and I and everyone else will get to see all of the public comments which were submitted as they will be openly published on the web one day. The Agency will typically publish analysis and responses to those comments before promulgating a final rule.

If folks are seriously interested in what ATF or any other Agency is up to, browse the notices in The Federal Register each week.
    Doing so is quite an eye opener and it is quite educational actually as to how our government works in a systematic way, as opposed to "sneaky" or "capricious," or "arbitrarily."

Nothing sneaky about it. It is all there in the open for everyone who wants to look at it.
    Sig 210 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

You are right Hop , my comment was ignorant and inflamatory.
    The facts are usually available if you know where to, have the ability, and are willing to spend the time researching them.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "in the open" but yeah, if you're willing to put in the effort...

i've been aware of the BATFE comment period since the day it came out. This comment from ammoland is ignorant to the extreme:

One such restriction banned handgun ammunition which had a composition where the materials were harder than lead.
    Several US bullet manufacturers make bullets of solid copper with no hassle from the BATFE. It is illegal to manufacture bullets of a caliber used in handguns from certain materials and alloys. Elite Ammo got nailed on that last year.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    You are right Hop , my comment was ignorant and inflamatory.
    The facts are usually available if you know where to, have the ability, and are willing to spend the time researching them.
    I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "in the open" but yeah, if you're willing to put in the effort...
    I didn't take your comment as either ignorant or inflammatory, and hope you didn't think
    I meant to imply that.

The rule making process
    is not well known to most people who have not had a need to deal with it, and it is complicated.

Something should be taught about how Federal regulations are arrived at somewhere in a HS or College government class. Too few people bother to see what is being proposed or to write
    comments. Most of the time there are half a dozen comment, or maybe 200 comments-- not very
    representative of "the people." That's how so many goofy rules that benefit special interests get
    promulgated. The rest of us are asleep or too busy to bother writing comments, or are afraid
    to have our name or organization publically associated with a particular view on a regulation.
    Andrew Jackson

I agree with Hop on checking the Federal Register (and possibly other sources) regularly. It can be a pain sometimes to have to do the research ourselves but we should take the time to do so. It's that important.

Hop I may not agree with you alot, but you do tend to keep me (us) honest. I sure as heck didn't take it personally.
    I have no problem with anybody calling anyone to task for something they express in (what is supposed to be) reasonable discussion.
    The purpose of disscussion should be to learn truth.
    Sig 210 and thephanatik like this.

Links