Article from CNN on the mentally ill getting fire arms.

This is a discussion on Article from CNN on the mentally ill getting fire arms. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm surprised CNN actually ran this. Pretty much endorses what LaPierre has been saying: Fix the existing laws instead of making new ones that restrict ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Article from CNN on the mentally ill getting fire arms.

I'm surprised CNN actually ran this. Pretty much endorses what LaPierre has been saying: Fix the existing laws instead of making new ones that restrict our rights.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/30/health...uns/index.html

2. Remove Ads

Yea, quite the sick guy ...and it's Del City, not Dell City.

Oklahoma City man accused of killing, dismembering mother | News OK

He was charged Monday in Cleveland County District Court with first-degree murder, desecration of a body and two felony counts of pointing a firearm.
    Cleveland County is the county just south of Oklahoma County, the biggest cities are Norman & Moore.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

I've been arguing this point on the liberal blogs. Right now mentally ill people are passing NICS checks because the Feds are not enforcing the current law requiring the States to report "adjudicated mentally defective" persons to NICS. How is passing more law going to impact this in the least? Enforce the current law!!! DUH!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

IMO..........they ought to do an article on the Mentally Ill Getting Elected.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    I stopped reading at "Article from CNN."
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I need to buy YOU a beer!!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

My understanding was that the feds actually dole out millions per year to the states to populate this kind of data into the NICS, but that most states just take the loot and dont do the populate the data part.
    S&W M&P 9c
    Ruger LCR + P (.38)
    Kahr PM9
    Taurus M851 (.38)

This is yet another ploy to get the people to accept their so called 'universal background checks'. What they don't understand, and I won't mention here is that unless they implement mandatory registration, then the UBC's don't mean anything.
    I am having a hell of a time in CO getting anyone to commit in email or phone calls to anything. Bunch of liars....

Apparently 26% of Americans are mentally ill at any one point in a given year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Apparently 26% of Americans are mentally ill at any one point in a given year.
    I think you're shooting a little low there...you must be anticipating recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    I hope you don't mind, but I've borrowed this line of yours and have posted it on several other blogs already. It's classic.

This quote from the article says it all:

"...an unnamed Oklahoma official who said there were no state privacy laws or logistical hurdles blocking record submission in Oklahoma, as there are in other states. Rather, a "lack of political will appears to be the only barrier to submission," according to the unnamed official cited in the study."

Lack of political will to do the right thing. Go figure.

While I'm OK with enforcing the current laws that restrict possession of firearms by certain people considered mentally ill, I'd like to remind everyone to be very careful if anyone suggests broadening the scope of who is considered mentally unfit to own firearms.

Firearms represent self defense, and we must be very cautious who we try to deprive of their right to self defense. Is that guy who seems a bit weird or depressed not entitled to defend themselves? Exactly who determines who is fit or not?

It is easy for the media to talk about how everyone thought someone was weird or "off", and I don't have the answers except to remind everyone that taking away a person's right to self defense is very serious business.

-john

The mental ill angle is why I changed my mind about joining the NRA. They keep pushing this as something that should be done. It shouldnt. Once you let shrinks and nurse prac shrinks start labeling people as to who can and cant exercise their 2a rights youve opened a pandoras box worse than anything the antis have tried in the past.

Dont believe me? Keep trying to scape goat that to give the government a fig leaf and once it passes after six months tell me how wonderful it was. Anyone is welcome to write this down and date it for reference that I said it.

Its as big a bunch of baloney as Universal Background checks and all the rest of the doo doo doo. Extra doo added for emphasis.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Extra doo added for emphasis.
    LOL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links