Liability Insurance for Gun Owners? - Page 2

Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

This is a discussion on Liability Insurance for Gun Owners? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If this is such a good idea, then why don't we require anyone who buys alcohol to have alcohol insurance. Same with cigarette insurance, sugar ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

If this is such a good idea, then why don't we require anyone who buys alcohol to have alcohol insurance. Same with cigarette insurance, sugar insurance for diabetics, and liability insurance for people who own power tools, change their own oil, have a chain saw, etc. How about insurance insurance, in case an insurance company goes under.
    mano3 and Olduser like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    If this is such a good idea, then why don't we require anyone who buys alcohol to have alcohol insurance. Same with cigarette insurance, sugar insurance for diabetics, and liability insurance for people who own power tools, change their own oil, have a chain saw, etc.
    I have health insurance

How about insurance insurance, in case an insurance company goes under.
    lol
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    It would be an incredible injustice to be a victim of unwise gun use, and then not be able to receive reasonable tort reparations. That is what liability insurance is for.

In theory, I think firearm insurance is entirely reasonable. If firearm owners are, in aggregate, safe then the premiums should be reasonable
    NO!

If they mandate it then it won't be cheap and then you are registered and I bet they'll even wanna know how many, what kind etc. NO! NO! NO!

Just be responsible for yourself.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

I dont think this would be legal. It would push some folks who need the protection from a firearm out of price range. Its making it class based again. The rich could afford the gun and mandated insurance but the poor couldnt. Just another way to price guns out of ownership from the have-nots. Im pretty sure it would not stand up in court. Gun ownership is a right of the law abiding citizen. Not a privalage like driving.

If this is such a good idea, then why don't we require anyone who buys alcohol to have alcohol insurance. Same with cigarette insurance, sugar insurance for diabetics, and liability insurance for people who own power tools, change their own oil, have a chain saw, etc. How about insurance insurance, in case an insurance company goes under.

What about forcing people who own coathangers to buy insurance? Those things could put an eye out!
    BugDude likes this.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

There is no doubt about it. This is an another attempt to regulate and prevent people from utilizing their rights. Whomever started pushing this is well aware of this fact.

No, I don't think it would stand up to legal challenge, both because of the rights and 'class' issues. I do think that there is a bit of probing going on to see what pro-2A people are willing to give up and this is part of it.

This did not come out of nowhere. Someone is behind this.
    mano3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    I dont think this would be legal. It would push some folks who need the protection from a firearm out of price range. Its making it class based again. The rich could afford the gun and mandated insurance but the poor couldnt. Just another way to price guns out of ownership from the have-nots. Im pretty sure it would not stand up in court. Gun ownership is a right of the law abiding citizen. Not a privalage like driving.
    If they can require everyone to buy health insurance and it be deemed legal, then it gives me little reason to think they couldn't require any other kind of insurance.
    BigCityChief likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Re: Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

If they can require everyone to buy health insurance and it be deemed legal, then it gives me little reason to think they couldn't require any other kind of insurance.
    There is no guarantee of health care in the constitution though. I think it is a different animal entirely.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    There is no guarantee of health care in the constitution though. I think it is a different animal entirely.
    So, they can get away with requiring you to buy insurance to pay for something you're NOT guaranteed in the Constitution (health care), but you don't think they can get away with requiring insurance to cover something you ARE guaranteed in the Constitution (RKBA)?

They are not "different animals" at all; they are identical. Nothing more, or less, than money/power grabs.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    NO!

If they mandate it then it won't be cheap and then you are registered and I bet they'll even wanna know how many, what kind etc. NO! NO! NO!

Just be responsible for yourself.
    I've waffled a bit on the idea of 'registered', so I'd like some help with a question.

Isn't it possible for the registration be with an insurance company and not be with the government? I mean, the only requirement would that a gun must be insured. But couldn't the company (and I) keep the records? The regulations would only require that guns be insured, which means that criminal penalties engage if you're discovered to have an uninsured gun. But there's no need for gov't run databases in this scenario.

Anyway, the reason why I discuss insurance is not that I don't trust myself. I want liability insurance because I don't trust other people. For the same reason, I don't have collision insurance on my car, but I certainly prefer living where PLPD insurance is mandatory.
    spend more fighting Ebola than on Thanksgiving dinner. Be grateful it's being fought there, so we don't have to fight it here.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell.. (and gumption) It's an untapped technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    So, they can get away with requiring you to buy insurance to pay for something you're NOT guaranteed in the Constitution (health care), but you don't think they can get away with requiring insurance to cover something you ARE guaranteed in the Constitution (RKBA)?

They are not "different animals" at all; they are identical. Nothing more, or less, than money/power grabs.
    I do not think it has anything to do with rights vs not specified in the constitution. The grounds for the insurance would probably be based on the power to regulate interstate commerce or taxation.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

We've already had this discussion, folks. The Mandate to purchase Insurance is a TAX as determined by the SCOTUS. Justice Roberts said so.

Personally, I think the idea is stupid as a bag of rocks, which is typical of current thinking in some parts of the Country. If you want it, go out in the marketplace and buy it. It's called an Umbrella and pretty cheap.

mano3 likes this.

You are already liable (responsible by law), if you shoot someone illegally or accidentally. You can be imprisoned, fined, and/or sued by the injured party or his family.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    I've waffled a bit on the idea of 'registered', so I'd like some help with a question.

Isn't it possible for the registration be with an insurance company and not be with the government? I mean, the only requirement would that a gun must be insured. But couldn't the company (and I) keep the records? The regulations would only require that guns be insured, which means that criminal penalties engage if you're discovered to have an uninsured gun. But there's no need for gov't run databases in this scenario.

Anyway, the reason why I discuss insurance is not that I don't trust myself. I want liability insurance because I don't trust other people. For the same reason, I don't have collision insurance on my car, but I certainly prefer living where PLPD insurance is mandatory.
    Insurance is regulated at the state level correct? They can tell who has car insurance if the look up your driver license right? Same thing with this. They would have to put it in a database somewhere. I don't want to be in any database if I can help it. Private or no. Background checks at the LGS I have to deal with, but I think requiring stuff that wasn't necessary for over 200 years is just beyond stupid

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post

The difference bin my view is they claim to be giving you health coverage. With liability insurance for firearms it would be viewed as putting blockers on inalienable rights.

-Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links