Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

This is a discussion on Liability Insurance for Gun Owners? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In Florida we have the Castle Doctrine Law that states in FS 776.032 and I quote; " Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Liability Insurance for Gun Owners?

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    In Florida we have the Castle Doctrine Law that states in FS 776.032 and I quote; " Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.— A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14),................"

Why the need of insurance?
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well lets go one step further. To purchase alcoholic beverages, you need to show proof of liability insurance. After all, your underage child or or of his friends might drink it then decide to drive.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    In Florida we have the Castle Doctrine Law that states in FS 776.032 and I quote; " Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.— A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14),................"

Why the need of insurance?
    Well the idea is that you carry liability insurance to protect your assets in the event that you and the authorities/courts have a difference of opinion as to what constitutes justifiable. (Think Zimmerman) But whether or not to carry a liability umbrella should be your choice, not something mandated by the government. Just my opinion of course.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    Insurance is regulated at the state level correct? They can tell who has car insurance if the look up your driver license right? Same thing with this. They would have to put it in a database somewhere. I don't want to be in any database if I can help it. Private or no. Background checks at the LGS I have to deal with, but I think requiring stuff that wasn't necessary for over 200 years is just beyond stupid
    Yeah, I see your point. I was just ensuring that there's no need for the government to have information regarding your guns. The information could be held elsewhere, namely with the parties who contracted the insurance agreement.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

The difference bin my view is they claim to be giving you health coverage. With liability insurance for firearms it would be viewed as putting blockers on inalienable rights
    Although I agree with your conclusion, with liability insurance you get liability coverage, just as you get health coverage with health insurance. But I agree it appears to be a mere restriction.

Insurance is regulated at the state level. I have never seen a state that maintained auto liability insurance files cross-referenced with autos so insured. Not saying they don't exist, but not carrying required insurance is a scam in most states because the states never developed the DBase.

Personally, I just consider insurance prudent. Just like my EDC.

Your auto liability insurance would never be considered for a firearm liability action. Your liability off your Homeowners may cover you already. Most of us already carry 300/500 thousand. If you get sued for a legal shoot you may already be covered in defense fees and liability there of. Just file a claim and coverage will be decided. No insurance company will ever pay liability in defense of illegal activities. Your on you own there. R&G is correct. The DOI of each state would review any mandated forced coverages, determine appropriateness and set premium standards. I'd like to say Feds can't interfer but look at OBummer Care.

I have handled liability claims when the inexperienced shoots through their wall into the house next door. That's covered under liability off the Homeowners. No additional insurance required.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    ...Insurance is regulated at the state level. I have never seen a state that maintained auto liability insurance files cross-referenced with autos so insured. Not saying they don't exist, but not carrying required insurance is a scam in most states because the states never developed the DBase...
    ???
    Here in Louisiana, you'd better keep your car insured. If your insurance lapses, and you don't turn your license plates in to the state within a few weeks, you're going to start getting threatening letters from the DMV, and they'll refuse to renew your driver's license until you either prove you have insurance, prove you no longer own the car, or pay a fat penalty for letting it lapse. I don't think any of this applies, though, if you're an illegal immigrant - they seem to be exempt.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Kilowatt3:

I've lived in and insured cars in five states and they never had it tied down like in LA apparently. The Insurance Co's issue cards to be kept in the cars, and if stopped, you had to prove coverage or risk a fine. Once you got the card though, you were good to go until the cards expiration (usually six months) so a lot of idiots would cancel the policies and go naked for six months and the state never tracked them down. In one of those, you could buy insurance by the month!

I like LA's process - it keeps everyone honest!

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    New Insurance Protects CCW Holders Involved In A Defensive Shooting | The Shooter's Log if you want CCH insurance it's everywhere the first day on this forum i seen post for insurance here one that doesn't involve an insurance agency, the NRA also sells insurance for CCH holders
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Kilowatt3:

I've lived in and insured cars in five states and they never had it tied down like in LA apparently. The Insurance Co's issue cards to be kept in the cars, and if stopped, you had to prove coverage or risk a fine. Once you got the card though, you were good to go until the cards expiration (usually six months) so a lot of idiots would cancel the policies and go naked for six months and the state never tracked them down. In one of those, you could buy insurance by the month!

North Carolina appears to be in the same boat with LA. I simply changed auto insurance companies and policies. I stayed with the same agent, just switched brands. A week later I get a nasty gram in the mail from the DMV saying that they were notified that my policy with the previous company lapsed, demanding an explaination. One of the check boxes was, "there was no lapse, I changed to a different policy". I don't think that this was initiated by the state. I think it was retrobution from the company that lost my business after several years when they tried jacking my rates up massively claiming they were recalibrating the market in this area. The hike was so massive, that shortly after receiving the renewal notice, I received a call from my agent saying, DO NOT pay that and DO NOT renew with them who then switched me to the one I've been with since.

So, yes, I could see issues associated with dropping gun policies. Next thing you know, the swat team would be at your house to confiscate your suddenly illegal guns.

Registration with a private company is no better, and probably worse than, registration withe govt. No thank you. The whole idea of gun liability insurance stinks to the heavans and beyond.

Kilowatt3:

It's definitely tougher here.

The insurance companies are required by law to notify Big Brother any time a policy lapses, apparently for any reason. The State had better receive your plates in the mail pretty quickly thereafter, or you're in trouble.

Makes it a major PITA if you're doing a major restoration, etc., and take the car off the road for a few months. You have to either keep paying insurance on it, or go through the hassle of turning in the plates & getting them re-issued when you're done.

To stay on-topic: I share Noway2's concern that if insurance was mandated for gun owners, then if you miss a payment, the swat team would be at your house to confiscate your suddenly illegal guns.

BTW - As for "keeping everyone honest" - The people who drive around without insurance aren't generally going to lose any sleep over driving around with a revoked Driver's License or an outstanding warrant for an unpaid fine, either. Hmmm, I see another parallel to the issues with gun laws...
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#0002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

The people who drive around without insurance aren't generally going to lose any sleep over driving around with a revoked Driver's License or an outstanding warrant for an unpaid fine, either. Hmmm, I see another parallel to the issues with gun laws...

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The state insurance requirement effects only the law abiding citizens and has little or no effect on the people that fail to do so. Most local newspapers provide a link to recent arrests. Check it out. Many arrests are for no insurance and/ or no DL. These violators are released with a court ordered Notice To Appear. Low and behold there are a proportionate number of arrests for "Failure To Appear". Because of overcrowding in our jails, seldom are these type violators remanded to serve jail time.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links