North Carolina taking first steps to allow armed school volunteers.

This is a discussion on North Carolina taking first steps to allow armed school volunteers. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill would allow for arming school volunteers Raleigh, N.C. — Certain teachers and other volunteers could be designated as "school safety marshals" and be allowed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: North Carolina taking first steps to allow armed school volunteers.

VIP Member

Bill would allow for arming school volunteers

Raleigh, N.C. — Certain teachers and other volunteers could be designated as "school safety marshals" and be allowed to carry firearms in emergency situations under a bill filed by Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Davidson.

Bingham said that he had met with sheriffs to talk about how school safety could be increased in the wake of the Newton, Conn., school shooting.

There have been suggestions that any teacher with a concealed handgun permit be allowed to carry it onto educational property.

But Bingham said that concealed carry permit holders have only a few hours of training and are not necessarily required to practice with their weapons as a law enforcement officials are.

"That's not near enough training," he said.

Rather, Senate Bill 27 would call for the North Carolina Criminal Justice Education and Training Standards Commission to come up with a training regime for volunteers.
    Bill would allow for arming school volunteers :: WRAL.com

Rather than have their weapon in a lock box it should be carried on person. Maybe this can be a springboard to eliminate the gun free victim rich zones.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

This is the best thing I have read in a long time. I sure as hell hope it passes and want to be first in line to carry at work!
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Good deal. I hope it gets some traction.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's about time.

And so long as we seek to avoid having our schools become bunkered fortresses, it's going to be a necessity to have the capacity of withstanding violent criminal attack if such attack gets through the doors. In the meantime, while we're armed and prepared against such assaults, we can get to the business of redesigning the doors/windows, the entry/egress paths, and the procedures to be hardened beyond the weak levels most of them are at now.

Kudos to NC ... if it passes.

KEEP THE PRESSURE ON YOUR LEGISLATORS, GOVERNOR, SCHOOL BOARDS, folks. People are beginning to listen.
    sauerpuss likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have to agree that because of the dunamics involved in thae type of situation/s thaty could encounter they need the training not only to be able to defend a classroom,but to be able to work as a team and pin down a shooter until LEO's can get on scene
    shooterX likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It wouldn't bother me at all even if they required a recurring training ever year with minimum performance levels. That would offset some of the complaints
    noway2 and shooterX like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I'm glad to see this happening. Hopefully more jurisdictions will join in.

Very nice!
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Re: North Carolina taking first steps to allow armed school volunteers.

I think that they should have to attend some sort of tactical certification training yearly (at least) as well. Don't get me wrong, I think it is acceptable to have armed protection for our children. Thing is, I know plenty of people personally who would love to do this, but while their hearts are in the right place, their skillset isn't. We're talking about taking shots at a moving, thinking target while the most precious things in the world are around as potential collateral damage.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    sauerpuss likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Why do great idea's take the longest to arrive.....this is a good thing...Hope it gets a lot of support.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

I volunteer on a pretty regular basis at my son's school. And while my first reaction is, "I would love to stand armed at the door one day a week." Who better to protect my kid than me? But the fact is, there are better people, better trained people, I should say. And while tuition is one of our favorite topics to complain about, I would gladly contribute to the hiring of a well-trained safety officer, or the training of armed teachers. Perhaps firearms training as continuing education credits.
    SpringerXD likes this.

VIP Member
    This is excellent, and I agree that more training is required.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

Raleigh, N.C. — Certain teachers and other volunteers could be designated as "school safety marshals" and be allowed to carry firearms in emergency situations under a bill filed by Sen. Stan Bingham, R-Davidson.
    Doesn't sound like they will be allowed to carry full time to me, only in emergency situations.
    ”Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
    Doesn't sound like they will be allowed to carry full time to me, only in emergency situations.
    Sure wish I could predict emergencies. It would keep me a whole lot safer.
    Clodbert and sauerpuss like this.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

I do find it interesting that this is one of the recommendations made by the NRA. Of course everybody dismissed it out of hand exactly because it came from them. Now some people will get on board, even if they claim the idea as their own. In the end it shouldn't matter who good ideas come from, as long as they are good ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links