Veteran arrested for having unloaded AR magazines in car in NY - Page 2

Veteran arrested for having unloaded AR magazines in car in NY

This is a discussion on Veteran arrested for having unloaded AR magazines in car in NY within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The problem with the Supreme Court is that they can choose not to hear an issue....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Veteran arrested for having unloaded AR magazines in car in NY

The problem with the Supreme Court is that they can choose not to hear an issue.
    mg27 likes this.

Administrator
    You folks need to see and understand the big picture. It's not about them wanting citizens to obey the laws. It's all about the control, the power, and the money.
    They could give a rats ass if Americans intentionally or unintentionally violate their laws.
    They would rather that they people break their stuck on stupid BS laws.

Now the poor guy needs to defend himself in court. So...he has to hire a what? You guessed it. A Lawyer.

The majority of politicians are all what? Lawyers.

It's all about feeding the insatible legal system.

It's all right there in 1984.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    The story has this line, "When Nathan Haddad was arrested the new ban had not even been fully enacted yet."

It would be really helpful had they (the paper or blog, whoever published that) posted the date of the arrest
    and the date the legislation was signed.

It is easy to jump to his defense if the facts are as indicated, but if he tried to smuggle some in after
    the law took effect he "played a stupid game and won a stupid prize."

Now, the article is sparse on why his car was searched. I'm not exactly buying the line about a
    random checkpoint producing a search of the vehicle unless there was something more-- maybe some
    intel about the purchase; a snitch in a neighboring state??? Or a detective watching in a neighboring state.

As presented in the story things don't add up. We are left with two options; he broke the law or the
    NYLE broke the law. Well, maybe some of both.

If it was a lawful arrest under the new law, and if he was in the wrong, then the
    situation is no different from what happens when folks take possession of a handgun after flying into NY.

Stinks if you are the one who messed up, but anyone living in NY had to know about the new law.

ADDED AFTER SOME LOOKING AT MAPS--- Jefferson County is pretty rural upstate. It is near the Canadian
    border. I wonder if instead of that being a random stop it was an inland BP checkpoint? I still don't see why
    the car would be searched. Something is missing from the story.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Folks, NY has banned magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds since 1994. Mags made prior to then are (for now, this changes when the new law goes into effect) ok. If Haddad can prove that his mags were manufactured before 1994, then he should be able to beat the charges. However, I'm not really sure how anyone can identify the date of manufacture of most magazines, as they lack markings that would allow such dating...

As for why he was pulled over and what the circumstances were surrounding the search, we really don't know. "Offgridsurvival" is obviously a slightly slanted reporter of "the news," and may have (intentionally or otherwise) left out or altered some of the details to support their viewpoint. As it stands, very little facts about the actual search/arrest are available. I'll reserve judgement on that aspect.
    Hopyard likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Don't ya'll see, apparently a high-n-tight is probable cause.

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Doesn't the new law include a 1-yr grace period to get rid of them, destroy them, or turn in the outlawed mags??

If you disassemble them into pieces and store then them all separate from one another can you still have the parts?

Re: Veteran arrested for having unloaded AR magazines in car in NY

Yeah few facts but we already know the story about the vet in DC who had his apartment raided by a full swat team to remove supposed firearms and the like from his private residence.

Sent via telepathy on a Galaxy S3
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    What really bothers me is that many New Yorkers are retiring to Florida. I have seen their anti gun rhetoric all too often at many city meetings. One comment that really torques me up is; " Why would you allow that, In New York that is not allowed". My comment to the them, "move back to NY".
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    What really bothers me is that many New Yorkers are retiring to Florida. I have seen their anti gun rhetoric all too often at many city meetings. One comment that really torques me up is; " Why would you allow that, In New York that is not allowed". My comment to the them, "move back to NY".
    If enough folks with those attitudes keep moving here, they will someday have enough power to turn all of Florida into New York.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Folks, NY has banned magazines with a capacity over 10 rounds since 1994. Mags made prior to then are (for now, this changes when the new law goes into effect) ok. If Haddad can prove that his mags were manufactured before 1994, then he should be able to beat the charges. However, I'm not really sure how anyone can identify the date of manufacture of most magazines, as they lack markings that would allow such dating...

As for why he was pulled over and what the circumstances were surrounding the search, we really don't know. "Offgridsurvival" is obviously a slightly slanted reporter of "the news," and may have (intentionally or otherwise) left out or altered some of the details to support their viewpoint. As it stands, very little facts about the actual search/arrest are available. I'll reserve judgement on that aspect.
    I agree with OPFOR's assesment. I also saw another article which stated he was a Special Forces soldier, which he wasn't. I read how he got hurt and was going through what sounds like SFQC. But the point is the article referenced in this thread and the other article I read are biased and are prone to leave out details. And I personally hate when the media, left, right, mainstream, Alex Jones, whatever, misrepresents a servicemembers record to suit their needs and get attention. Obviously not the fault of this gentleman.

I wonder if he was arrested for anything else (DUI?) and the other charges came after an inspection of the vehicle. The reason why I bring this up is because of all the sensationalism of soldiers and military folks that supposedly were arresedted for the same thing as Gregory (showing the 30 round magazine) and the were prosecuted. Later on and some digging you find out that magazine related charged in DC incidents were extra charges. The folks were ususally arrested for something else and the cops found more things to charge them with.

I want to see all the details.
    msgt/ret, Hopyard, JDE101 and 1 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I would have thought that they move from NY to FL in order to enjoy the things that they are not allowed in NY, like buying a 20oz Dr.Pepper or Mt. Dew at the store and owning a firearm. They should embrace the state they choose to live in IMO.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

I agree with most of what you have written, EXCEPT for one key point. The prosecution has the burden to prove the magazines are not pre-ban. The accused has no such burden. The basic principle is innocent until proven guilty. Unless our country has fallen so far that even this principle is no longer honored.
    OPFOR and noway2 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I agree with most of what you have written, EXCEPT for one key point. The prosecution has the burden to prove the magazines are not pre-ban. The accused has no such burden. The basic principle is innocent until proven guilty. Unless our country has fallen so far that even this principle is no longer honored.
    Too late. It already has. Unless this gentlemen has the funds for a good attorney, he's going to be chewed up in a system that has already presumed his guilt.
    ErnieNWillis and atctimmy like this.

VIP Member
    The burden of proof is on the State. NY State has to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the magazines were not in his possession prior to the ban...good luck with that NY.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I recently moved to Florida to get away from New York's communist state. Not all New Yorkers are anti-gun!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links