Gestapo raids Vet's home in DC

This is a discussion on Gestapo raids Vet's home in DC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is not a new story, but a reminder of what is already happening in this country. MILLER: SWAT rampage destroys Iraq vet's home over ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckusaret
  • 2 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Mike1956
  • 1 Post By smolck
  • 5 Post By Bark'n
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 2 Post By Doghandler
  • 1 Post By Bark'n

Thread: Gestapo raids Vet's home in DC

This is not a new story, but a reminder of what is already happening in this country.

MILLER: SWAT rampage destroys Iraq vet's home over guns

By Emily Miller - The Washington Times

May 28, 2012, 07:55PM

While Army Sgt. Matthew Corrigan was sound asleep inside his Northwest D.C. home, the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) was preparing to launch a full-scale invasion of his home. SWAT and explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) teams spent four hours readying the assault on the English basement apartment in the middle of the snowstorm of the century.

Read more: MILLER: SWAT rampage destroys Iraq vet's home over guns - Washington Times
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Just another proven case that our police personnel will willfully violate our rights without hesitation. Cases such as this are the harbinger of what to expect in the near future.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    DC cops acting exacly like George III's army 240 or so years ago. There was a remedy for it then. I hope we can find a better remedy for it now. I don't know what folks expected when they decided the cops should be outfit and trained like the military.

This whole affair is bad, but what makes it even worse is, if the article is accurate, the glee that the cops apparently had for wanton destruction of property. Their leaving the stove on was far more dangerous than the property they stole. I gotta stop now, this crap really ticks me off.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Amazing that crimes against the Constitution don't get heavy jail time/fines on the part of those who abuse it and us. Short of that, IMO, there's going to be little that'll stop such things.
    ksholder and ctr like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    This is likely what it will look like when "they come to take our guns".
    ErnieNWillis likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Anybody paying attention to the streets in Egypt. One has to wonder how far away from that we are?
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

We do not know what the Sgt. said to the woman on the hotline to prompt her to call 911. All we have is the word of the Sgt. in this story. However, all that aside, this was a complete breach of the man's civil rights. And the tactics used by the police were rather thuggish in their zeal to ransack his apartment. Using knives to rip open his packs and bags instead of using the zipper is just mean and willfully distructive. I'd be pissed if the cops took knives to some of my $300 packs.

I hope he gets a hell of a lot more than the $500,000 he's suing for. The court should issue punitive damages to the officers for their thuggish behavior.

After spending 9 years on a swat team, I understand how thorough they can be during a search, but to kill the fish, trash his expensive packs because they are too lazy to use a freaking zipper is out of line. And what's up with turning the stove on? Were they just wanting to intentionally run up his electric bill, or burn down the house?

Reckless behavior in my opinion, which is based solely on the story I read. I realize it is only one side of the story. But the story we have is the story we got to base our opinon's on. I'm willing to change my opinion if there is further evidence to support a change in my opinion.

However, I don't think we're far off the mark since they readily dropped all 10 of the charges they piled on him. Sounds like their poopy is kind of weak in this case.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sounds like "Beth" is an anti gun nut and probably asked the Sergeant if he had any guns,he may have said yes and so she took it up on herself to start this Invasion,"Beth" needs to be held accountable and sued,also removed from any type of helpline answering service.If I was a troubled Vet and read this story there is no way in hell I would call anybody if I was having nightmares from PTSD
    msgt/ret and Bark'n like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    After reading all four parts of the story, I hope that he Sgt wins his $500,000 and gets his guns back.

I find it ironic that they are trying to use the claims that he is a "booby trap expert" that they couldn't substantiate in the first place to deny giving him his guns back.

It seems that only the Third amendment of our Constitution is still intact. The 4th and 10th might as well not exist.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Emily Miller is an actual journalist. I am surprised that she can keep her job in the District. I love her reporting.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    My first night at the police academy I am attending, the SGT, while talking about Police ethics and professionalism, said to judge and evaluate our own actions by: Am I doing the right thing, at the right time, for the right reasons?

I'd have to say that using that criteria--this PD, espicially the supervisors, got a big fat "0".
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Emily Miller is an actual journalist. I am surprised that she can keep her job in the District. I love her reporting.
    What fathers or grand fathers could not be proud of her regardless of political persuasion. I want to give Ms. Miller a proud Fatherly hug.
    Emily Miller - Bio, News, Photos - Washington Times
    Eagleks and Bark'n like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Is there any rights he is supposed to have, that they failed to violate ??

Unfortunately, this is not untypical of things I have seen sometimes occur and get into the courts.... then the CYA stuff and lies occur to make it seem "better" . Do it right, and you don't have these issues and problems. Over-reaction, is a total understatement.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This isn't the first story of Emily Miller's posted in the forums here recently. She is a stellar supporter of the 2nd Amend. and supporter of gun rights. She does fine work. I hope she is recognized for her contributions to journalism.

Now, back on topic...
    Doghandler likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Sponsored Links