Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's...

This is a discussion on Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Constituent Advisory Committee." Where she talks with members of her constituent demographic about bills pending in the legislature. She gave 10 minutes each to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's...

Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's...

"Constituent Advisory Committee." Where she talks with members of her constituent demographic about bills pending in the legislature.

She gave 10 minutes each to the State budget and to the proposed voter ID law. And 20 minutes to bills (multiple) regarding 2nd Amendment in Iowa (and 10th Amendment,too).

Discussed were:

A bill similar to Wyoming and Montana laws regarding the regulation of firearms already owned or those manufactured in the state, and enforcing any federal bans on such firearms... Anyone attempting to enforce any such federal laws within the state guilty of class D felony. I'm all for this.

A bill regarding the disposal of firearms seized by agencies within the state... Clarifying the existing law... It's pretty straightforward... and inconsequential to me...

A bill to make all permit to purchase or to carry holder's names and addresses to be kept confidential... no longer "public record." I support this.

A bill to keep governmental declaration of emergency from allowing the gov't to stop normal business transactions of gun stores during an emergency, unless ALL businesses are forced to shut down... and not to allow any restriction of normal possession, carry, transport, etc. I'm for this, 100%.

A bill to allow concealed carry holders to be allowed to do so on school grounds. I'm for this.

Though her panel consisted of registered Dems, Republicans, and independents, there was only one person who was against any bill, and that was voter ID, due to possible costs. Otherwise all seemed to be pro 2A.

I did hear some bad news about Minnesota... It seems they're trying to enact a bill similar to Feinstein's... and that with a democratic house and senate... it may pass... And, of course, POTUS is going to speak there Monday... That could get ugly...

My neighbors to the north need to get on the stick here...

All in all, a good meeting, positive responses from everyone regarding 2A issues... with some minor caveats... I like my representative, Dawn Pettengill... and she started out as a Dem... but was conservative enough that the Dems didn't want her (wouldn't try to "protect" her seat becasue she was too conservative)... So she became a Republican.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

Good report - it's important to be involved like you are.

Sounds like things aren't spinning out of control in Iowa, unlike New York state. I doubt your rep's meeting was anything like this one:

New York State Resistance - "... prime for something like that." 1/29/13 - YouTube
    8th ID, Doghandler and BugDude like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great post and way to get involved. Every member of this forum should at the very least write a letter to our representatives. This battle won't be won by sending the NRA a check, hoping for the best and complaining about the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good report - it's important to be involved like you are.

Sounds like things aren't spinning out of control in Iowa, unlike New York state. I doubt your rep's meeting was anything like this one:

New York State Resistance - "... prime for something like that." 1/29/13 - YouTube
    Sounds like Minnesota might be going off the deep end though, hope not...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

We have Grassley, and he rocks. We also have Steve King, whose views on the 2A differ from Stephen King's.

We do NOT have a monster city like NYC, Chicago, or Minneapolis. I think that makes a difference.

Branstad is also a good guy to have.

Only problems are IA City, Cedar Falls, and Ames. Ultra liberal college towns.
    Bark'n likes this.

Re: Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's...

I don't think its the size of the 'monster' that matters but, rather, who is in charge of it.

My father lives in a town of less than 25,000. The state, Kansas, legalized OC and CC permits. The Police Chief of the town where my father lives went on record saying that he will use whatever resources necessary to stop every citizen reportedly open carrying a firearm. He believes that is what the people want, or, what the City Council tells him they want. They once pulled officers off a more serious call, to investigate a report of OC. It was a kid with a toy gun...in a holster.

Sent using my Tap-a-talkinator
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

It's great to see more and more towns and states taking proactive measures against the power overreach of the feds.

Good deal. I think one thing bothering Feinstien and O-man, is that States are enacting numerous pro-gun and pro-carry laws, while they want to shut that down and can't. So, I think part of this ... they thought would cause enough uproar that it would reverse some of the things in the states going on, and it's only strengthening them.
    8th ID likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    We have Grassley, and he rocks. We also have Steve King, whose views on the 2A differ from Stephen King's.

We do NOT have a monster city like NYC, Chicago, or Minneapolis. I think that makes a difference.

Branstad is also a good guy to have.

Only problems are IA City, Cedar Falls, and Ames. Ultra liberal college towns.
    And why are they ultra liberal college towns, instead of a more balanced demographic?

Because we allowed all the ultra liberal hippies and campus radicals of the 60's (who were literally unemployable in the private sector) to infiltrate our schools of higher education as professors. And they have run wild for about a generation indoctrinating our children with far left ideals.

I believe the motto of Bill Ayers, the SDS and Weather Underground was "Change from within." They adopted that strategy when they started to see that their bombings and attacks against the government; which his wife Bernadine Dorn participated wasn't working to create the change they wanted. They also found that they were "Wanted Criminals" by the government. The only reason Ayers and his wife didn't do 35 years to life in prison for bombings and killing two police officers was because the case got tossed on a technicality. Due in no small part from Dorn's father, who was a political big wig and part of a huge law office in Chicago at the time (who ironically introduced the Obama's to his daughter and son-in-law).

Now that's merely my opinion based on substantial open source documents, so I hope people don't get their panties in a bunch. But the evidence does seem to support that conclusion.
    Last edited by Bark'n; February 3rd, 2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typos
    Caertaker and soonershoote like this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Hippies suck!!!
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Thank you for getting involved and keeping us here informed.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

No problem.
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16

Re: Just sat in on a meeting of my State Representative's...

Thanks for posting that New York video. It gives me hope. It's a shame that I didn't see as many younger guys as I would've liked. No homo.
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

As an aside, I watched another video on the same page that showed Piers Morgan "interviewing" two women on gun control. He did his usual behavior of talking over them and changing the subject to straw man arguments. When he saw he was losing the argument he crumpled up his notes and threw them on the desk in frustration. I know this is not related to the OP's video, but I thought is was amusing.

Who is the politician in the video?
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links