Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

This is a discussion on Universal Background Checks= Common ground? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; after 35 years on the job i never seen a bad guy checked by a back ground check to buy a gun. they don't buy ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

after 35 years on the job i never seen a bad guy checked by a back ground check to buy a gun. they don't buy from gun stores. they are trying to stop normal face to face sales. but a mandated back ground check will not stop anything. just make it harder on the good guys and start a record keeping programs/system on the good guys.
    niks and Rock and Glock like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    after 35 years on the job i never seen a bad guy checked by a back ground check to buy a gun. they don't buy from gun stores. they are trying to stop normal face to face sales. but a mandated back ground check will not stop anything. just make it harder on the good guys and start a record keeping programs/system on the good guys.
    Didn't you know Cadillac has been offering the arms dealer package with the trunk mounted NICS terminal for such transactions?

I'm getting upset by the use of UBC. as it sits I'm ok with what's in place NOW!!! I do NOT AGREE with having to do a background check on my son or wife if I decide I want to give them a gun. Period. If people want to sell privately (I have once) then maybe we COULD do like some states where the buyer goes to the sheriffs office and gets a purchase card. That way there is a NICS check already. And we are NOT registering anything. It just says yep he/she can buy
    TonyP3rd likes this.

Can you imagine a UBC to exercise our 1st Amendment rights?

I don't agree with any background checks either.
    Laws don't stop killers, bullets do!

after 35 years on the job i never seen a bad guy checked by a back ground check to buy a gun.
    they don't buy from gun stores. they are trying to stop normal face to face sales. but a mandated back ground check will not
    stop anything. just make it harder on the good guys and start a record keeping programs/system on the good guys.
    -- These gun grabbers don't want to face facts --their mantra is: Never let facts get in the way of MY opinion or agenda.

I saw a guy get a background check and then be told to wait a minute. In a minute the cops showed up and cuffed him and took him away. I doubt he was a real bad guy though. Bad guys steal guns or buy them from other bad guys.

The only way for universal background checks to work is for us to register all guns. How else could they stop you from selling your gun to me without a background check. They have to prove that it's your gun and not really mine.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

I know that the NRA in the past has worked to protect our 2a rights. I have no illusions that my 25 dollars makes a difference to the NRA one way or the other nor my opinion my belief on the issues at hand.
    But so others at least know where I stand on 2a and our other Constitutionally protected freedoms.
    I tend for better or worse to think in terms of right and wrong. A little theft is still theft. One murder is still murder even though its 20 at a time. One unconstitutional regulation is one to many.

Im one. But I see now as never before across this country heavy resistance to this power grab. To the point even the power grabbers are becoming increasingly quiet because this group at this time of antis publicly make fools of themselves when they speak on a subject they know nothing about. And are realizing that the majority of the public by any reputable non bias poll you can find arent buying it just because they say it anymore. A huge majority.

Now isnt the time for the NRA to be bringing up or focusing on mental health checks, universal background checks or any other trade offs. The 2a and even the non firearm owning citizens of this country now more than anytime ive seen in the past are ripe to be lead by a NRA that isnt playing defense but has gone on offence. Not bleating dont add more regulation but going on offense and working with a public support it has never had before to repeal existing unconstitutional laws and regs.

Had they come out refusing to refer to more checks on mental health and universal background checks and other infringements they would have my money times all my friends money. Likely to the point of donations that took groceries off the table to a point. But as long as they waffle and offer fig leaves that accomplish nothing all the while fearing to take advantage of ground swells of resentment toward our Constitution being ripped to tatters its not likely they will get that support.

Im open to being corrected. And would join in a heart beat if they would go on the offensive. As long as they are agreeing with the enemies of our freedoms on the least unconstitutional regulations on 2a I dont feel obligated to do so.

I write my reps state and federal and involve anyone i come on contact wth to do the same on this issue. I do so regularly. Im in the fight but for me it is a fight to move forward in repealing what is already there. Not simply make as slow a retreat as I possibly can by offering one thing that is not mine to offer that undermines the freedoms of others to begin with.

Im one man. That is what I believe. Many may not think it correct but at least nobody has to guess about where I stand on anything including this issue.
    oakchas likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Cokeman View Post
    I saw a guy get a background check and then be told to wait a minute. In a minute the cops showed up and cuffed him and took him away. I doubt he was a real bad guy though. Bad guys steal guns or buy them from other bad guys.

The only way for universal background checks to work is for us to register all guns. How else could they stop you from selling your gun to me without a background check. They have to prove that it's your gun and not really mine.

He could have been a really bad guy. Or he could have been a guy that missed a court date for a traffic ticket and had a warrant issued because of it. JMO but I doubt a really bad criminal was in there voluntarily undergoing a background check to buy a firearm knowing he would not pass muster. He would have to be really really DUMB as well as really really bad.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

He would have to be really really DUMB as well as really really bad.
    The Plano TX Drivers License office has a full-time LEO that makes several arrests daily. How many BG don't want to drive with an expired license? Takes a certain kind of stupid.

Added: No to UBC
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 3rd, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

Part of the problem is that background checks are not proactive. They can only tell you what someone got caught doing, not what they're planning on doing.

I'm not for them ending private sales.... the "gun show loophole" is bogus, and we all know it is.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    The Plano TX Drivers License office has a full-time LEO that makes several arrests daily. How many BG don't want to drive with an expired license? Takes a certain kind of stupid.
    True Rock. But taking a chance on getting caught in traffic with other cars vs pulling up to the LEO and saying "check my license" is kinda beyond even a certain kind of stupid.
    Rock and Glock likes this.

MJK
    I will compromise nothing. UBCs are DOA as is any other proposed legislation which infringes on my God-granted right to keep and bear arms, which by the way is acknowlwdged by the second amendment to our constitution.
    dV8r likes this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Well I was going to join the NRA but then I kept seeing they waffled on the mental health angle which is death by doctors for us. And I see conflicting things about wheather they will fight the universal background check thing or not.
    If they come out fighting tooth and nail against ANY regs or checks proposed they get my money but until someone can point me someplace to see that is what they are doing then I aint so sure.
    Tell you what, Ghost, the value of being an NRA members is that you can add to the strength of the biggest national organization fight for our gun rights. Period. You may have a differing opinion of some of their tactics and approaches. Good! Give your input on those things , as a member. The more people who join, the stronger the tools we have in the fight. Alone, our voice doesn't count for much.
    Brademan
    Special Projects manager - ACLDN

American Militia - charter member, NRA Life/Benefactor member
    LEAA Field Rep, Aikidoka, motorcyclist, plain speaker, straight shooter
    My other nickname is "3-Knife"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links