Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

This is a discussion on Universal Background Checks= Common ground? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "It's more than just banning guns, everything has to be taken into consideration, one thing we universally agreed on was the universal background checks," explained ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

"It's more than just banning guns, everything has to be taken into consideration, one thing we universally agreed on was the universal background checks," explained NRA member and guns rights advocate Jim Cummings, who sat on the panel.

Wasserman Schultz, NRA Members Discuss Gun Violence - Local News - Miami, FL | NBC News

Jim Cummings doesn't speak for me.
    IMO,Here is the compromise they have been targeting from the beginning. Their MO is to throw as much DooDoo up against the wall and see what sticks. Universal Background Checks is the first glop of slop. After the next tragedy, more slop will be thrown, and so on.
    atctimmy, zacii, Jackster and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

She's a liberal congresswoman in Miami, with a hand-picked 6 (SIX) member panel. Given that, I'm not surprised that those 6 people and her universally agreed on that. Just after that section in the article it says:

"Universal background checks are not sanctioned by the NRA, nor is a push to close the so-called gun show loophole that allows gun buyers to skip the checks at gun shows."

So, essentially, 7 liberal people in a large metropolitan liberal city universally agreed on liberal gun control measures. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

No, actually it isn't universally agreed on. Not by a long-shot.
    dV8r likes this.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

I don't agree with any background checks. It is not up to you to prove to the government that you are worthy to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. The entire idea of such checks turns the ideals behind a free society on their head, and I'm not ok with it.
    Clodbert, zacii, niks and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    I don't agree with any background checks. It is not up to you to prove to the government that you are worthy to exercise a constitutionally guaranteed right. The entire idea of such checks turns the ideals behind a free society on their head, and I'm not ok with it.
    +1

Murder and attempted murder is illegal. Assault and battery is illegal too.
    It is illegal for most felons to posess guns. Even brandishing a gun is illegal in most States.
    How many more laws and regulations do we need?
    More people are hurt and killed every year with clubs and knives than with guns, will they also be banned at some point?
    It appears that some people will not be satisfied until all of our "Rights" have been relinquished.

Or is this ban attempt a first step to rob us of more Rights?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Senior Moderator
    It doesnt take a very smart person to see that background checks are a scam.

There are two classes of people that want background checks. Good people that are ignorant, and bad people that want your guns and know that registration is the first step to confiscation.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    The only “common” ground for background checks is a graveyard, bury the idea of background checks and forget about it.
    Clodbert and oakchas like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well I was going to join the NRA but then I kept seeing they waffled on the mental health angle which is death by doctors for us. And I see conflicting things about wheather they will fight the universal background check thing or not.
    If they come out fighting tooth and nail against ANY regs or checks proposed they get my money but until someone can point me someplace to see that is what they are doing then I aint so sure.
    Buckman60 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Without the powerful lobbying efforts of the NRA many of our 2A rights would have already been eroded away...join today!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by niks View Post
    "It's more than just banning guns, everything has to be taken into consideration, one thing we universally agreed on was the universal background checks," explained NRA member and guns rights advocate Jim Cummings, who sat on the panel.

Wasserman Schultz, NRA Members Discuss Gun Violence - Local News - Miami, FL | NBC News

Jim Cummings doesn't speak for me.
    IMO,Here is the compromise they have been targeting from the beginning. Their MO is to throw as much DooDoo up against the wall and see what sticks. Universal Background Checks is the first glop of slop. After the next tragedy, more slop will be thrown, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Well I was going to join the NRA but then I kept seeing they waffled on the mental health angle which is death by doctors for us. And I see conflicting things about wheather they will fight the universal background check thing or not.
    If they come out fighting tooth and nail against ANY regs or checks proposed they get my money but until someone can point me someplace to see that is what they are doing then I aint so sure.

^^Ghost, what makes you think^^^^^^^^^

Jim Cummings, a "gun rights advocate" and "NRA MEMBER", speak FOR the NRA?

The NRA is currently the single most effective voice for the second amendment, and you will not, in 100 years prove me wrong.
    Join.

A couple weeks ago, Bass Pro was offering a $25 gift card for signing up, for the $35 annual dues, which were, and still are discounted for $25.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...aignID=JoinNow
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ahem. I just recently watched a video clip of La Pierre advocating universal background checks (even at gun shows) when addressing Congress in 1999. I'm not sayin'...I'm just sayin'
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I do believe,and i may very well be wrong,they have more in mind,so far as the UBC.What exactly,i don't know for sure.I do know,i don't trust them.

The thing is to focus the issue on something that is not as bad as a major gun ban. It's a distraction.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Re: Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

My line in the sand is right where we stand right now.

The only way I'll move from that line a little bit, is if they are willing to give us something substantial...

It is not compromise to accept just a little of what they want, instead of eating the whole elephant.

So, they want UBCs.... Eliminate GFZs and give us national constitutional carry, and I'll consider it. Maybe.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Universal Background Checks= Common ground?

I sense the onslaught of Democracy.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links