Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

This is a discussion on Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BugDude Doc: Do you have any guns at home? BugDude: I can't actually confirm nor deny that since hypothetically they would be ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

Doc: Do you have any guns at home?

BugDude: I can't actually confirm nor deny that since hypothetically they would be there and I am here. There is no way for me to assure that there are in fact any guns at my home at this particular point in time.

Actually, I think we should award BugDude the "Erwin Schrödinger" award for this strategy! I like it!
    BugDude and oakchas like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Here is your vitamin injection.

Patient has issues with authority figures and can not be trusted.

Recommend hard labor at internment camp or euthanasia.

These gentlemen will take you to the waiting area.
    Apparently you know my Doctor.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have been lying to doctors on things that really aren't any of their damned business for decades (do I speed, do I wear my seat-belt, do I drink alcohol, do I use tobacco....) and I shall continue to lie no matter what stupid law they pass! Give them the PC answer; no matter what the truth is!
    oneshot likes this.

No I wouldnt stop seeing a doctor for asking. Even if he didnt have too by law. And I wont lie to him/her.
    A simple " Not a medical problem doc, next question?" will do fine.
    RoadKill likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    No I wouldnt stop seeing a doctor for asking. Even if he didnt have too by law. And I wont lie to him/her.
    A simple " Not a medical problem doc, next question?" will do fine.
    That answer = YES and it WILL eventually become part of a government data base.

doctor goverment

no more patient doc. confidentiality its patient oboma care to the public, good thing knowone read the law before it was passed and became one its like dictatorship

Hmmm Doc, what does me owning or not owning firearms have to do with my lower back pain??? Or, not applicable.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I'd pull a Slick Willie:

Doc: Do you own any guns?

BugDude: That would depend on what your definition of the word own is...

Doc: Do you have any guns?

BugDude: I do not have any guns in my possession at this particular moment...

Doc: Do you have any guns at home?

BugDude: I can't actually confirm nor deny that since hypothetically they would be there and I am here. There is no way for me to assure that there are in fact any guns at my home at this particular point in time.

Doc: Have there ever been any guns at your home?

BugDude: Since I am not at my home 24/7, there is no way I can accurately state that there have never been any guns in my home.

BugDude: That depends on what your definition of the word have is...

Doc: OK, I'm just going to say "No"
    Or perhaps...

BugDude: I did not... have semi-automatic firearms... with that woman.
    BugDude, sauerpuss and peckman28 like this.

Let me make this perfectly clear...I did not have ammunitional relations with a firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I'd certainly keep it simple and lie.
    F350 and Jeanlouise like this.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    That answer = YES and it WILL eventually become part of a government data base.
    Well, since I have a carry permit and have had a background investigation for every firearm that I have purchased, I doubt seriously that the government has to rely on my physician to learn whether or not I have a gun.

"Thank goodness his doctor asked or we would never have known!"
    Doghandler likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar

Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

I would simply say no. I don't care what laws "they" pass to try to force an answer, my answer would still be no.

Then I am not one to go to a dr very often and don't have much respect for them.

Senior Moderator
    My doc asked me if I had any guns once.

I looked around, and then asked him "what do you need?"

He laughed, and that was the end of that topic.

LOL
    d2jlking and TVJ like this.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS075 View Post
    I would still see my current physician. I really like her, have received good care and health advice and I don't want to go hunting for another doctor. I don't think she would ask but if it was ever mandated for her to do so, I would simply say "no."
    See! I told you the gun nuts were crazy! Now they're hunting doctors! It's a good thing we banned AR15s! The so-called "hunter" would have had to use a dozen .223s to put that Dr. head on his wall... everyone knows it would only take one deer slug.

IF this were to ever come to fruition, then everytime I went to the Doctor I'd say, "I'm having an aweful time with my memory. I can't remember anything, like things I've bought or own. Why, I can't even remember why it is I came to see you. Have I mentioned I'm having trouble remembering things?"

I mean, how could they prosecute me for something that's a result of a medical condition for which I was seeking medical treatment from a Physician?
    On a serious note... mental incapacity... I mean, if they're considering returning vets that can't balance a checkbook "dangerous to self or others.." If you can't remember... it could be early onset Alzheimer's, we can't have you running around with guns, you might forget what the pointy end is for.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

As a practicing physician, I can tell you that myself as well as the majority of my colleagues do not and would not support "mandatory questions" about gun ownership. Personally, my blurb to patients is simply a safety plug--"If you do own or possess firearms in your home, vehicle or place of work, remember to store and use them safely, obey all laws, and keep them out of reach of children and unauthorized persons."

I think this covers me in my responsibility of looking out for the welfare of my patients. At no point do I inquire about anyone's gun ownership, as it's none of my business and irrelevent to the medical care I provide. If you are ever asked about ownership by a doctor or other provider, be very comfortable saying, "I really don't think that has any relevence as to my medical care and it is not a question I am going to answer." If you get any attitude, simply find a new doctor. The vast majority of doctors I know are pro-2A and respect privacy in this regard.
    Jeanlouise and oakchas like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links