Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

This is a discussion on Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DocT65 As a practicing physician, I can tell you that myself as well as the majority of my colleagues do not and ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    As a practicing physician, I can tell you that myself as well as the majority of my colleagues do not and would not support "mandatory questions" about gun ownership. Personally, my blurb to patients is simply a safety plug--"If you do own or possess firearms in your home, vehicle or place of work, remember to store and use them safely, obey all laws, and keep them out of reach of children and unauthorized persons."

I think this covers me in my responsibility of looking out for the welfare of my patients. At no point do I inquire about anyone's gun ownership, as it's none of my business and irrelevent to the medical care I provide. If you are ever asked about ownership by a doctor or other provider, be very comfortable saying, "I really don't think that has any relevence as to my medical care and it is not a question I am going to answer." If you get any attitude, simply find a new doctor. The vast majority of doctors I know are pro-2A and respect privacy in this regard.
    What business is it of yours to lecture me on firearms ownership or even make a statement to me on, how I choose to store firearms, whether or not I obey laws, and how I choose to allow my children to have access to the family's firearms, and how I prevent unauthorized access to our firearms?

None of that^^^^ has anything to do with your medical treatment of the patient you are currently examining.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    My doctor has more guns than I do and I know for a fact that he is an expert with all of the ones that I have seen him shoot, but my doctor is a retired Army Colonel. I am also quite sure he will not question his patients on gun ownership.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

As a practicing physician, I can tell you that myself as well as the majority of my colleagues do not and would not support "mandatory questions" about gun ownership. Personally, my blurb to patients is simply a safety plug--"If you do own or possess firearms in your home, vehicle or place of work, remember to store and use them safely, obey all laws, and keep them out of reach of children and unauthorized persons."

I think this covers me in my responsibility of looking out for the welfare of my patients. At no point do I inquire about anyone's gun ownership, as it's none of my business and irrelevent to the medical care I provide. If you are ever asked about ownership by a doctor or other provider, be very comfortable saying, "I really don't think that has any relevence as to my medical care and it is not a question I am going to answer." If you get any attitude, simply find a new doctor. The vast majority of doctors I know are pro-2A and respect privacy in this regard.
    And on the Obamacare questionnaire there are only 2 option check boxes YES and NO, where do you think your answer is is going???

And with the coming doctor shortage due to influx of millions of previously uninsured and illegal immigrants as well as doctors leaving practice and the best and brightest choosing other professions your option of " If you get any attitude, simply find a new doctor" is not going to be realistic.

I still say LIE, give the PC answer and move on.

I recently was referred to a large hospital based cardio practice for a nuclear stress test; and part of the new patient questionnaire was a "life style" section which did ask about seat-belts, driving the speed limit, drinking, tobacco..... no gun question though; I'll tell you up front half the answers on that paper were bald faced lies!!
    Jeanlouise and DocT65 like this.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    "This is William Shatner, reminding you that a gun in the home is far more likely to harm you or a family member than to be used in defense of your home."

That's what your comment reminds me of. Do you also ask your patients if they go skydiving, followed by a lecture on gravity? I don't mean to be uncivil, but is that really an appropriate thing to be telling your patients?

Do you also "look out for their welfare" by warning them about the dangers of:

1. Poisons
    2. Automobiles
    3. Threatening weather
    4. Stairs
    5. Snakes
    6. Knives
    7. Diane Feinstein
    8. Scissors
    9. Slick floors
    10. Household chemicals
    ?
    mg27 likes this.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Contact Doctors for Responsible Gun Ownership, now a project of the Second Amendment Foundation (Second Amendment Foundation Online)

I would go to the doctor, but I would not answer that question. I would politley inform the doctor that that particular question has no bearing on my medical profile and move on.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

VIP Member
    If the "are there guns in your home" question is mandated by law (and I believe it will be someday soon) then just say "no".

Don't jump down the throat of the Dr. or Nurse who is mandated to ask you that, they probably don't really care and don't really want to know anyway.

Saying "no" is doing them a favor.

Obamacare is the wolf in sheep's clothing that is going to change our country forever.
    DocT65, SigPapa226 and mg27 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    What business is it of yours to lecture me on firearms ownership or even make a statement to me on, how I choose to store firearms, whether or not I obey laws, and how I choose to allow my children to have access to the family's firearms, and how I prevent unauthorized access to our firearms?

None of that^^^^ has anything to do with your medical treatment of the patient you are currently examining.
    First of all sir, it's not a lecture. It is one sentence.

Secondly, it is simply a health safety message, no different than wearing a seatbelt, not smoking, alcohol in moderation, etc. It is said simply in the effort to prevent injury or health risk, and is standard of care by all medical boards.

BTW....take a chill pill.
    Nebraska12, oakchas and peckman28 like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Re: Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

I don't understand why some of you think tobacco and alcohol use is medically irrelevant. Especially the guy with the cardiac stress test!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oBMTo View Post
    I don't understand why some of you think tobacco and alcohol use is medically irrelevant. Especially the guy with the cardiac stress test!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk
    Clean bill of health thank you!

I know the risks, I know the effects and I ain't puttin' up with any damned state nanny!

If asked whether I've got Ajax under the kitchen sink and I instead answer that I've got Comet, what're they gonna do ... arrest me for having Comet?

If asked whether I've got any chemicals, rope, plastic bags or whatnot at home that could be a threat to children and I answer "no," what're they gonna do ... know otherwise?

If they're required by some statute to inquire about guns, how would anyone force me to divulge that information?

It's fine to require someone to ask. That doesn't mean anyone's going to be forced to answer. And with the implied threats involved with such knowledge (given the state of political affairs in this country right now), frankly I'd say there is plenty of good reason to not divulge any such thing.

What I've got at home is my affair, not a crime, not a threat, and thus it's nobody's business. Insofar as I feel it could impact my own health or that of my family, I'll consider reading up on the potential impacts. But I certainly don't feel compelled in any way to divulge such information to anyone outside the family, no matter how ostensibly benign such questioning might appear to be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A guy and his doctor (a true story as far as I know)

I heard about a guy who's doctor decided was suicidal. The doctor informed the police who showed up on his doorstep, took all of his guns, and then took him to some sort of mental facility. The kept him for 2 or 3 days to evaluate him. They decided he was Ok. However, he now has a mental health check mark on his record, so he can't buy any new guns (the police kept the ones they took).

The reason for me telling this story is that my wife and I were talking about it this morning and decided that if a doctor did this here where we live in Idaho, that the story would spread like wild-fire and the doctor would find himself with no patients.

VIP Member
    In a few years, when Obamacare has become so grindingly expensive and people have been taxed to the hilt that no more money can be squeezed out of them... overweight people will be sent to fat farms, smoking banned, drinking will probably be banned and anything else that is putting a strain on the medical system.

Remember...it's for the common good, and the children of course.

It's going to become SO invasive that the gun question will seem quaint.
    Last edited by Jeanlouise; February 4th, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
    SpringerXD and SigPapa226 like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    First of all sir, it's not a lecture. It is one sentence.

Secondly, it is simply a health safety message, no different than wearing a seatbelt, not smoking, alcohol in moderation, etc. It is said simply in the effort to prevent injury or health risk, and is standard of care by all medical boards.

Apparently you didn't get the message, so I'll throw my two cents in: Mind your own business, Doc. I'll come to you for firearm advice about the same time that I come for my medical marijuana card -- i.e. don't hold your breath. What kind of a pompous nitwit thinks we need you to remind us to follow laws or safety protocols?

Seatbelts? Not your business. Helmets? Not your business. Fillet knives? Not your business.

Guns? NOT YOUR BUSINESS.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

Not without a prescription. That would be illegal. And if you write me a prescription for one, that goes in my medical record as needing a mental health drug, which ironically, bars me from owning or buying weapons. See, you're trying to sneakily use a back door trick to take our guns!
    SpringerXD likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links