Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation - Page 4

Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

This is a discussion on Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Remember , when being sarcastic and short with your doctor, he is the one with the needle and proctoscope. No need to be nasty about ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

Remember , when being sarcastic and short with your doctor, he is the one with the needle and proctoscope. No need to be nasty about it. When you shoot yourself in the foot, he is the one who patches you up. It falls in the same class as "do you smoke"," do you eat red meat", "how well do you sleep". Hard to accuse the guy who says turn your head and cough of not being a little invasive.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Not without a prescription. That would be illegal. And if you write me a prescription for one, that goes in my medical record as needing a mental health drug, which ironically, bars me from owning or buying weapons. See, you're trying to sneakily use a back door trick to take our guns!
    Wait a minute. I thought it was based on the potency of the chill pill. Anything under 25mg can be bought over the counter.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by Dougb View Post
    Remember , when being sarcastic and short with your doctor, he is the one with the needle and proctoscope. No need to be nasty about it. When you shoot yourself in the foot, he is the one who patches you up. It falls in the same class as "do you smoke"," do you eat red meat", "how well do you sleep". Hard to accuse the guy who says turn your head and cough of not being a little invasive.
    I disagree. Smoking, red meat, and sleep quality are legitimate medical concerns. Guns are not.

And if it's a "public safety" issue like it's now being portrayed, then why aren't they talking about having doctors ask if our car or truck has a V8 engine, if our steps ice over in the Winter, and if we ever work up on the roof?

It's not that hard to see through, folks. It's an incremental gun grab.
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

-miklcolt45

Plenty of people drown, and I don't see doctors asking me if I have a bathing suit.
    1MoreGoodGuy and SpringerXD like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    Obamacare is the wolf in sheep's clothing that is going to change our country forever.
    Our healthcare system was broken long before Obamacare was ever signed into law. It mandates that everyone participate and buy in to any already horrible healthcare system but from my current understanding it does not create broad, sweeping changes. And private practices are a dying breed already.

By my count not one person said this potential situation would cause them to shun the healthcare system and stop going to the doctor. I still contend that, on the tiny, tiny chance that this becomes a reality, avoiding regular check-ups with your primary care physician could be a viable option. The thought of a doctor asking you these questions should be insulting to you. It's none of their business and is in no way a matter of your health. And yes, there are a great many physicians who would ask these questions. Young MD's straight out of their residency in particular.

Besides, we know that regular check-ups do hardly anything to prolong life or prevent disease. Perhaps the practicing physician who commented in this thread could offer his input here.

General health checks in adults for reducing morbidity and mortality from disease - The Cochrane Library - Krogsbøll - Wiley Online Library

Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

My father is an anesthesiologist, I'm sure he would not ask, most of his doctor friends wouldn't either. As a pre-med student, neither would I.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    First of all sir, it's not a lecture. It is one sentence.

Secondly, it is simply a health safety message, no different than wearing a seatbelt, not smoking, alcohol in moderation, etc. It is said simply in the effort to prevent injury or health risk, and is standard of care by all medical boards.

BTW....take a chill pill.
    Re: "it's not a lecture" That's why I wrote "...lecture me on firearms ownership or even make a statement to me on..."

It's not your place as my physician to lecture me or even make one single statement to me about safe storage and use of firearms, obeying laws, telling me to "keep them out of reach of children and unauthorized persons". None of that has anything to do with my medical treatment. How would owning a gun vs. not owning a gun alter your treatment of your patient?

Please explain how your "health safety message" relates to the health of the patient you are making the statement too?

And again I'll ask, what business is it of yours?
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    Our healthcare system was broken long before Obamacare was ever signed into law. It mandates that everyone participate and buy in to any already horrible healthcare system but from my current understanding it does not create broad, sweeping changes. And private practices are a dying breed already.
    Our healthcare system is not broken, it's the very best in the world. What's broken is the legal system that allows people to sue for every thing they can think of and ambulance chasing lawyers that encourage that behavior. That has added billions to insurance costs and increased the rates for everyone.

Tort reform would go a long way in containing costs. Obamacare is socialized medicine no matter how he tries to "pretty up" the language. It's going to be a financial disaster for the country, there will be rationing of care and of course massive fraud just like there is in all other government run social programs.

I can't believe you're buying the Obama line.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by john.shewchuk View Post
    My father is an anesthesiologist, I'm sure he would not ask, most of his doctor friends wouldn't either. As a pre-med student, neither would I.
    That's good to know, and I commend you all for this.

But again, I still worry that the day will come when ObamaCare is fully instated and it will become mandatory for the "gun" question to be asked. Once ObamaCare is the only game in town, they can then make whatever rules they like.

-miklcolt45

Our healthcare system is not broken, it's the very best in the world. What's broken is the legal system that allows people to sue for every thing they can think of and ambulance chasing lawyers that encourage that behavior. That has added billions to insurance costs and increased the rates for everyone.
    Thank you. If socialized medicine is so great, then why is it that every Canadian who can afford it comes here for anything beyond a hangnail? But it's hard to get some people *cough - Michael Moore - cough* to understand this.

Tort reform would go a long way in containing costs. Obamacare is socialized medicine no matter how he tries to "pretty up" the language. It's going to be a financial disaster for the country, there will be rationing of care and of course massive fraud just like there is in all other government run social programs.

I can't believe you're buying the Obama line.
    Not only will there be rationing, but that rationing will have deadly consequences. Once there are panels to decide who must die to keep the budget on track, some of these Obama voters will be kicking themselves, but then it'll be too late.
    Jeanlouise likes this.

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john.shewchuk View Post
    As an Anesthesiologist, he probably wouldn't. The doctors that will have to ask this question will be more the Family Practice types. If the government mandates that this question be asked, you better believe doctors will ask it...unless they want to lose their license to practice, pay huge fines and who knows what all.

It's up to the patient to say, "no". You can always be nasty and snarky to your doctor but what's the point of that? Blame Obamacare, not him.

And SpringerXD, you are right...it's an incremental gun grab.

Electronic Medical Records...which have become mandatory all ready, is Big Brother. Oh yeah, they tell you how great it is that your information can be accessed by all your doctors, continunity of care, if you travel and get sick they can take better care of you, blah blah blah. It's a government mandated grab of your private information and can and will be used against you for whatever reason they see fit. Paranoid? Let's talk again in 10 years once Obamacare has taken hold like a cancer.

Our only hope is that the states will fight it individually and the whole thing will fall apart.
    oneshot likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Edit: I had a long post here but I don't want this thread to get too far removed from it's original discussion. However the current discussion is certainly interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post

1}By my count not one person said this potential situation would cause them to shun the healthcare system and stop going to the doctor.

2} I still contend that, on the tiny, tiny chance that this becomes a reality, avoiding regular check-ups with your primary care physician could be a viable option. The thought of a doctor asking you these questions should be insulting to you. It's none of their business and is in no way a matter of your health. And yes, there are a great many physicians who would ask these questions. Young MD's straight out of their residency in particular.
    1} I didn't say I would shun it; I said I will not answer what I consider to be non-relevant questions truthfully

2} So you personally have read all umpteen thousand pages of the the bill AND all the pages of regulations aunt Kathleen has established and can tell everyone with absolute certainty what in in it and we have nothing to worry about?????????????????

Beware when we get to a single payor Federal healthcare system:

He who holds the (purse)strings is the puppet master...and the puppets WILL dance in whatever fashion and to whatever tune he wants.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

VIP Member
    Do any of you remember when Obama was campaigning in 2008 and that nurse asked him a question about "Affordable Health Care"? She asked, "If my 86 year old mother needs a pacemaker, will she be able to get it"?

Obama basically said, "no"! He relied with some kind of BS about giving her pain medication instead of the more expensive Pacemaker (which makes no sense at all from a medical standpoint but then again, it's Obama). I remember it very well. In fact I turned to my husband and said, "Oh.My.God". Really, I was horrified. He admitted that there would be rationed care and NO ONE called him on it!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links