Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

This is a discussion on Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's been much discussion lately about President Obama's executive orders and many have surmised that, through some tweaking of or maneuvering through the HIPAA privacy ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree84Likes

Thread: Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

Physicians and Guns Part II: A Hypothetical Situation

There's been much discussion lately about President Obama's executive orders and many have surmised that, through some tweaking of or maneuvering through the HIPAA privacy laws, physicians could in the near future be allowed or even encouraged to ask patients about their guns and make that information available to the federal government. Whether or not this becomes a reality remains to be seen.

Let's pretend that this does become a reality. And let's take it a drastic step further: let's say that physicians, any and all MD's and DO's, are now mandated by federal law to ask patients about their guns. I've gathered from the past discussions on this issue that most of you would, in some form or another, tell the physician to politely (or not so politely) mind his/her own business.

What I'm wondering is: would any of you stop going to the doctor altogether? Would anyone cease any and all contact with their physician(s) if this highly unlikely hypothetical situation did occur?

2. Remove Ads

No. I just would not feel compelled to tell them the truth. I still have the right to remain silent....for now...
    atctimmy likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Doc, I don't feel comfortable discussing a personal issue with someone not qualified to treat it."

If it were to come to that, I'm sure my doctor would say, "I have to ask and don't care what your answer is. I'm putting down no."
    Thompsonian likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would still see my current physician. I really like her, have received good care and health advice and I don't want to go hunting for another doctor. I don't think she would ask but if it was ever mandated for her to do so, I would simply say "no."

Yeah, I think I'd just play innocent. And because I look very much like Howdy Doody, people typically believe me. Thank goodness there are some advantages to this otherwise unfortunate condition I have!

The thing that would concern me is pediatricians asking the child directly, "Do mommy and daddy have guns at your house?" Arg. But I know a lot of physicians who are really, really conservative. I think that unless forced, many wouldn't ask about this. At least those who have a private practice. If you are on a salary, you could afford to have patients leave you in droves. If you have your own practice, you'd potentially be committing financial suicide. Now, if they were required to ask this, I suspect many would just say, "Well, I'm required to ask you this but..."

Guess we'll see, but I'm not overly worried about it. It just seems like something to keep an eye on but not fret over.

I wonder if any pro 2A doctors would prescribe gun ownership? Then I could come home and say, "Honey, you always tell me to listen to my doctor, right? Well he thinks I need a new Glock!"
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

No worries here...at least for the time being. My primary care MD just retired from the Army Reserve (Flight Surgeon). We have 'talked' and his favorite is a Colt 1911. IF 'rules' came down that forced him into things, I believe he would turn a blind eye...so to speak.
    SOLD my guns.
    Proud owner of a 12lb. Chinese pug that is DANGEROUS and is soon to be registered!

VIP Member
    Even more problematic would be friends and family, naieve to the point where they would say something to their doctor.

Doctor;
    So, is there anyone who you know who may or may not own firearms, who you feel could pose a risk to you or the public at large?

Your friend or family member;

Well, you see...............
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Neither confirm or deny. Let him make his own assumption by asking him: "Do I own any guns? Doc, do I look like a fool to you?"
    Thompsonian, sigmanluke and mg27 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Here's what I find scary about the entire conversation.

First, let's socialize medicine with ObamaCare.

Next, let's make it so that doctors are required to ask their patients if they own guns. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

Next, we'll make yearly vaccinations mandatory, ensuring that everyone has to see a doctor at least once a year. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

Next, we'll make it a felony to lie to your doctor about whether you own guns or not. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

And finally, make it a felony for your doctor to lie on your behalf. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

If this isn't a backdoor means to getting a confiscation list, then I don't know what is. And remember this very important fact: it's all incremental. Some of you are saying, "Relax. My doctor wouldn't do that." Well, guess what? The way things are going, your doctor might someday be required to do that. And if they don't comply? Then they can say "so long" to that medical practice they worked so many years to obtain. And if you're caught lying about it, you can be denied future medical treatment and even jailed.

So this garbage needs to be stopped NOW.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

I'd pull a Slick Willie:

Doc: Do you own any guns?

BugDude: That would depend on what your definition of the word own is...

Doc: Do you have any guns?

BugDude: I do not have any guns in my possession at this particular moment...

Doc: Do you have any guns at home?

BugDude: I can't actually confirm nor deny that since hypothetically they would be there and I am here. There is no way for me to assure that there are in fact any guns at my home at this particular point in time.

Doc: Have there ever been any guns at your home?

BugDude: Since I am not at my home 24/7, there is no way I can accurately state that there have never been any guns in my home.

BugDude: That depends on what your definition of the word have is...

Doc: OK, I'm just going to say "No"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    First, let's socialize medicine with ObamaCare.

Next, let's make it so that doctors are required to ask their patients if they own guns. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

Next, we'll make yearly vaccinations mandatory, ensuring that everyone has to see a doctor at least once a year. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

Next, we'll make it a felony to lie to your doctor about whether you own guns or not. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

And finally, make it a felony for your doctor to lie on your behalf. After all, this is a "public health" issue now.

Is that you, John Edwards?

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    ...Next, we'll make it a felony to lie to your doctor about whether you own guns or not...And finally, make it a felony for your doctor to lie on your behalf...And if they don't comply? Then they can say "so long" to that medical practice they worked so many years to obtain. And if you're caught lying about it, you can be denied future medical treatment and even jailed...
    IF this were to ever come to fruition, then everytime I went to the Doctor I'd say, "I'm having an aweful time with my memory. I can't remember anything, like things I've bought or own. Why, I can't even remember why it is I came to see you. Have I mentioned I'm having trouble remembering things?"

I mean, how could they prosecute me for something that's a result of a medical condition for which I was seeking medical treatment from a Physician?

The Fifth Amendment -If you are in possession of a weapon illegally, you can not be charged for failure to admit to the crime. Mute is good.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I'd pull a Slick Willie:

Doc: Do you own any guns?

BugDude: That would depend on what your definition of the word own is...

BugDude: I do not have any guns in my possession at this particular moment...

Doc: Do you have any guns at home?

BugDude: I can't actually confirm nor deny that since hypothetically they would be there and I am here. There is no way for me to assure that there are in fact any guns at my home at this particular point in time.

Doc: Have there ever been any guns at your home?

BugDude: Since I am not at my home 24/7, there is no way I can accurately state that there have never been any guns in my home.

BugDude: That depends on what your definition of the word have is...

Doc: OK, I'm just going to say "No"
    Here is your vitamin injection.

Patient has issues with authority figures and can not be trusted.

Recommend hard labor at internment camp or euthanasia.

These gentlemen will take you to the waiting area.
    BugDude and sauerpuss like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links