Defensive Carry banner

How many rounds per weapon would you ideally keep on hand?

• Less than 100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 101 to 500

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • 501-1000

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • 1000-5000

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • more than 5000

Votes: 10 13.7%

How much is enough?

1K views 26 replies 26 participants last post by  BAC 
#1 ·
Given the current shortage of ammunition and the uncertain political climate, and thinking about each pistol and rifle you own, on average how many rounds of ammo do you ideally want to keep on hand for practice, carry and EOTW scenarios? If commenting, is this more, the same, or fewer rounds than you've kept in the past?

#8 ·
I'm very glad that I have enough on reserve that I can go all of 2013 without buying a single round and still be able to go shooting when I want to.

If things stay tight, Santa might bring me a reloading press this year.

I was also pondering black powder guns in the latest issue of Cabela's catalog. :image035:

#13 ·
I have 32 surplus .50 caliber ammo cans that I store my ammo in that Ihave collected over the past thirty years or so and should be enough to meet its intended purpose. I fall into the 1000 to 5000 range. The required storage space is a major problem, not for me, but for my wife. She wants it moved into the garage, but that will only happen when she moves her shoes into the garage. LOL.

#14 ·
I would like to keep a lot on hand however in my case only my Personal Protection ammo (20 per box) remains the same. I enjoy shooting very much so I go to the range as often as I can and fire several box's (50 per box) each time. So I don't want to caught short on ammo if ammo shortages become common place.

:gah:

#18 ·
Ideally?

We should have a free unlimited supply of ammo. Why should we have to work to pay for ammo? We should be entitled to it because it is a constitutionally guaranteed Right to keep and bear Arms and ammo is Arms. Therefore, ammo should be free and so should guns. The government should pay for it...We should get it free...You know, this is the land of the FREE.

I want my Obama-ammo and my Obama-guns!:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:

Reactions: TX expat
#19 ·
I would like to have a minimum of 500 rounds of the two pistol calibers I own. Then 2000 each of 22LR and 5.56. Unfortunately I do not have this at this time.
I am close on the pistol calibers and woefully short on the others. I do not shoot as much as I would like and I only have so much time and not enough money
to do all the things I enjoy doing.

#20 ·
I decided some time ago to stop keeping a lot of ammo around the house, but it ebbs and flows according to how often I shoot and reload. I have no illusions about living long enough to shoot up a bunch of ammo if I was trapped at home by zombies.

#21 ·
A lot more bullets on hand than loaded ammunition.

The mailman is getting his exercise carrying boxes of bullets up the hill to the front porch. I keep telling him he should just pull up the driveway and put the boxes outside the garage door.

#25 ·
I don't have near what I want or need on hand. I would ideally have 4000 per caliber but, I have so many different calibers/gauges that that would be A LOT of stinking ammo!! I'm looking at getting a full auto indexing setup that would allow several hundred rounds an hour is what is advertised. Something like the Hornaday Ammo Plant, or a Dillon if I can come up with the green for it.

#27 ·
I used to think 1k, until I realized how few pistol/rifle courses that would get you through. Not thinking I'm gonna keep that much to feed my 8mm Mauser though...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.