Well, great, just great...

This is a discussion on Well, great, just great... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is so hard about the sentence and concept of a RIGHT that SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?? Not shall not be infringed until somebody thinks ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Well, great, just great...

What is so hard about the sentence and concept of a RIGHT that SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED?? Not shall not be infringed until somebody thinks it should be for whatever reason.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

NH doesn't even require a course. Yes that means no course online or in person is required. Yet NH has no issues with CCL holders doing anything stupid. Although I potentially support a test out of a course/having to take a course as I don't believe every one has the experience or understanding to get their CCL. My state stats for weekly applications have jumped from 30-70 a week sense the CT shooting. But again NH hasn't had a problem with anyone who is a CCL holder so all in all it is fine that we don't have a course.

My favorite public range story is this gun next to me (mid 40's) aims and fires. Drops the gun because somehow he managed to take hold of the slide so when he fired he took a big chunk out of his hand. I think to myself I hope he is not a fellow CCL holder. Needless to say I shoot in the middle of the woods by myself now.

"But online training isn't the only issue with "shall issue". "We don't want the mentally ill and the people with criminal records carrying the weapons out in public," Pulkrabek [Johnson County Sheriff] said."

Am I missing something here? Don't these applicants go through the same background checks that all applicants around the country do? We don't need sheriffs to have discretion. If there is a problem it will be found during the background check.

Re: Well, great, just great...

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    "But online training isn't the only issue with "shall issue". "We don't want the mentally ill and the people with criminal records carrying the weapons out in public," Pulkrabek [Johnson County Sheriff] said."

Am I missing something here? Don't these applicants go through the same background checks that all applicants around the country do? We don't need sheriffs to have discretion. If there is a problem it will be found during the background check.
    Exactly. Plus, they can deny with probable cause that they are wiling to articulate in writing. That can be appealed.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    You can't legally drive a car with out demonstrating you are skilled enough for a license, why should a carring a gun be any different?
    Because a "right" differs from a privilege.

Back in the day, did anyone have to demonstrate their proficiency by law with a six shooter or hidden palm gun? Was there a test and license to ride a horse? Did a horse have to have tail lights, a rear view mirror, insurance, registration, baby seat, seat belts, safety glass, emission controls and turn signals?
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Our sheriff here in Plymouth county doesn't care for online courses. At all. He prefers an actual class. The friends of mine that offer classes invited him to sit in on a class, and offer criticism. He had none.

As I had held permits in Montana and Wyoming, I would not have needed to take a class. But I did not know that at the time. It worked out well. I was new to Iowa, brand new to the town. Met a lot of my kind of folks. A couple years later, I still shoot with those guys all the time.

But I hear what you are saying. We don't need people telling us how things will be. Control thing.

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar

Re: Well, great, just great...

Cedar Co. Sheriff, Warren Whethington gets it. Here's a recent article in the Des Moines Register http://www.desmoinesregister.com/app...=2013301310042.

Sherrif Whethington also serves on the board of the Iowa Firearms Coalition http://www.iowacarry.org/.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links