Defensive Carry banner

Court: NYTimes's Request for New York City Gun Owners Violates Law

564 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SmokinFool 
#1 ·
Court: NYTimes's Request for New York City Gun Owners Violates Law

As did the previous release of a list of gun owners.
11:56 AM, Feb 5, 2013 • By DANIEL HALPER

A New York appellate court has ruled that the New York Times's request for a list of gun owners in New York City, under the Freedom of Information Law, violates the state's statute. The ruling overturns in part a lower court's ruling.

"Order and judgment (one paper), Supreme Court, New York County (Jane S. Solomon, J.), entered November 1, 2011, granting the petition to the extent it sought an order directing respondent, under the Freedom of Information Law (Public Officers Law § 84 et seq.) (FOIL), to provide an electronic copy of a database, as redacted, of names and addresses of New York City residents who have been granted handgun licenses, and a database, to be redacted, of hate crimes reported to respondent from January 1, 2005 to the present, and denying the petition to the extent it sought an order directing respondent to provide an electronic copy of its crime incident database, a declaration that respondent's practices in responding to FOIL requests violate the statute, and an order directing respondent to cease these practices, unanimously modified, on the law, to deny the petition as to the databases of handgun licensees and hate crimes and to reinstate the petition with respect to the demand for the crime incident database, insofar as it seeks production of the electronic crime incident database produced in Floyd v City of New York (08 Civ 01034 [SAS] [US Dist Ct, SD NY]) (the Floyd database), and the matter remitted to Supreme Court for a determination of whether production of the Floyd database should be ordered, and, if so, to what extent and under what conditions, and otherwise affirmed, without costs," reads the ruling.

From the Standard.

Blog | The Weekly Standard

See less See more
#6 ·
What purpose do they have for printing the names? Seems foolish. I just canceled my online subscription to that newspaper. It gets delivered every morning to my iPad. I will find something else to read and keep my money out of their hands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.