Defensive Carry banner

California attempts to confiscate guns

2K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  phreddy 
#1 ·
#5 ·
According to the state DOJ, that's nearly 40,000 handguns and assault weapons currently in circulation that shouldn't be.

There are about 19,700 names on California's APP list. The gun owners typically bought the firearms legally, before being convicted of a felony or being diagnosed with a mental illness. Once convicted of a crime, their names are put on the state's database, which tracks people who bought handguns or assault weapons legally but fell into a prohibited category.
Seems the media cannot write any story about guns without throwing in the so-called assault weapons.

#8 ·
#9 ·
The story doesn't really say that there are 40k known illegal gun owners. It says only that they had legally purchased firearms, then lost their gun rights. As far as is known, they all divested themselves of guns to be in compliance thereafter.

#13 ·
But, but, but....strict gun laws keep guns out of the hand of people that shouldn't have them!!!!

In actuallity, they do nothing about the wrong people having them and keep them from the people that SHOULD have them. Crazy. What are they smoking?????

#14 ·
From the article:

"Democratic Sen. Mark Leno is sponsoring a bill that would allow the state to dip into funds collected when gun buyers pay for background checks - about $19 a person. Using that money to hire more agents, he said, would allow the state to start to chip away at the nearly 40,000 weapons on the street and in homes that, according to the law, shouldn't be."

Well, at least we now know that they aren't going try to confiscate all (legal) firearms, or try to ban new firearm sales. They need the money from background check fees from new sales in order to pay for this. At least for now.

#15 ·
Ugh. I saw this on the news a few minutes ago. Ugh. And I'm sure it will get swept under the rug so they can continue pursue their dreams of disarmament.

The thing I don't get is this: I've spent a great deal of my life around very left-leaning people. I've respected many of them, liked them, shared things in common with them...heck, at one point I almost thought I WAS one! So, I've always sort of thought that even though I can't agree with many of their ideas, I thought that I at least understood them. Now, as I see so many reasonable, practical, even proven ways of reducing violence almost completely ignored in favor of anything that smells of confiscations or bans, I really have to confess I can't see their point at all. I think they actually have their heads so far in their...sand...their fear has become a tool for others. I'm generally not one for conspiracy theories, but when people are so easy to control, you don't even need a conspiracy for really serious abuses to happen.

Ugh.

#16 ·
lawmakers are fast-tracking a bill that would free up funds for that job.

Where do you free up funds from when you're already Billions of dollars in debt? :confused:

Any funds freed up from anywhere should go toward paying down that monumental debt.

#17 ·
Can someone help me understand what is wrong with law enforcement enforcing the law and confiscating firearms from convicted felons and the mentally ill?

#20 ·
If you live in Komifornistan and they knock on your door demanding your guns, just offer them some of your legally posessed medical maryjane and they'll soon forget what they came for. Keep giving it to them and before long you will be confiscating THEIR guns. Problem solved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.