Violent Flash Mobs in NY

This is a discussion on Violent Flash Mobs in NY within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The older man was "lucky" he only got a broken arm. He could have been trampled to death. Just because they are teens doesn't mean ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Violent Flash Mobs in NY

VIP Member
    The older man was "lucky" he only got a broken arm. He could have been trampled to death. Just because they are teens doesn't mean that they're small. I've seen teenagers who are 6'3 and weigh 280.

This is just disgusting and is getting more common.

I think it depends on what state you live in as to how the courts would view shooting one or two of these kids. If you were actually fearing for your life you might not be charged. I wouldn't shoot unless they were a physical threat.

What would happen if you got a fire extingusher and let them have it with that?
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

This is pathetic. If we lived where flash mobs were a problem I'd decorate my property with claymores.
    slidewayz240 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Based on the picture it is typical of the people that are committing the majority of crime in my area. I am an armed senior citizen, I don't fight, but I have no hang-ups when it comes to defending myself in an attack by one or 30 hoodlums.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The older man was "lucky" he only got a broken arm. He could have been trampled to death. Just because they are teens doesn't mean that they're small. I've seen teenagers who are 6'3 and weigh 280.

This is just disgusting and is getting more common.

I think it depends on what state you live in as to how the courts would view shooting one or two of these kids. If you were actually fearing for your life you might not be charged. I wouldn't shoot unless they were a physical threat.

What would happen if you got a fire extingusher and let them have it with that?
    I carry a fire extinguisher in my shoulder holster all the time! ;) If they're attacking, I won't have time to question their motives; six months of psychoanalysis is out of the question.

Everyone wants to excuse them because "they're only teens." The trouble with that is most of the teens perpetrate the thuggery, armed robbery and killing. I wasn't placed on this earth to be their victim. They need to think about what they are doing before they engage in such behavior, or suffer the consequences for their decisions. It is a part of becoming an adult. If there is more than one attacker, my life is in jeopardy. Their parents had best be prepared to visit either the hospital, or the morgue.

Game on.

Scott
    SigPapa226, 1MoreGoodGuy and ctr like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunfan View Post
    I carry a fire extinguisher in my shoulder holster all the time! ;) If they're attacking, I won't have time to question their motives; six months of psychoanalysis is out of the question.

Everyone wants to excuse them because "they're only teens." The trouble with that is most of the teens perpetrate the thuggery, armed robbery and killing. I wasn't placed on this earth to be their victim. They need to think about what they are doing before they engage in such behavior, or suffer the consequences for their decisions. It is a part of becoming an adult. If there is more than one attacker, my life is in jeopardy. Their parents had best be prepared to visit either the hospital, or the morgue.

Game on.

Scott
    LOL...well, I was thinking more if I was a shop owner faced with a mob. I have NO sympathy for these little animals but I'm not interested in going to prison for manslaughter either. I'd want to be very sure of my position in a flash mob scenerio before I shot one of them. Not that they wouldn't deserve it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

I think we need to get a new law passed.

If you are a part of a flash mob you are a legal target & can be shot on sight.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

VIP Member
    Just put up a Flash Mob Free Zone, that should stop it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by SigPapa226 View Post
    I think we need to get a new law passed.

If you are a part of a flash mob you are a legal target & can be shot on sight.
    Being part of a "flash mob" either is, or should be, organizing/inciting a riot. This is nothing more than organized thuggery, no more, no less.

Scott

If I were in a place where this broke out and they're just running around taking stuff and knocking things over, then I'd stay out of the way and hope I have the presence of mind to pull out my phone and record as much as possible. If a mob of 20 - 40 people start physically attacking me, I will defend myself with the appropriate level of force.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Perhaps NY can start issuing Flash Mob permits and require background checks to weed out the trouble makers.

This is the Washington Statute

RCW 9A.84.010
    Riot.

(1) A person is guilty of the crime of riot if, acting with three or more other persons, he or she knowingly and unlawfully uses or threatens to use force, or in any way participates in the use of such force, against any other person or against property.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, the crime of riot is a gross misdemeanor.

(b) The crime of riot is a class C felony if the actor is armed with a deadly weapon.

[2003 c 53 § 91; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.84.010.]

Notes:
    Intent -- Effective date -- 2003 c 53: See notes following RCW 2.48.180.

Given that the mob is usually only out to steal, and not to assault, I would suggest caution (and knowledge of local laws) in such an event. You are not allowed to use lethal force to defend property in many areas. You cannot use disparity of force in such a situation to justify a shoot, unless you were actually in reasonable fear of gross bodily injury or death.

I've faced angry mobs before. Usually, it is enough that they see that you are armed. We're talking about opportunistic cowards here - which is why they fearfully hide within the group. These are not trained killers. Take up a defendable position, pull your weapon and keep it visible and ready - and watch the crowd part around you like the sea around Moses.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Crowbait View Post
    Here's a hypothetical question: What are your guys' thoughts on what would actually happen if someone did defend themselves with a firearm given the posted scenario?
    Well my thought is they are either going to scatter like cockroaches at the first crack or there's gonna be a pretty big pile of brass, as far as the lame-stream media? that's a toss up but I would not want to be in the headlines.

What really needs to happen is 3 or 4 of these mobs need to be taken out in quick succession, then maybe these kids would wise up but I'm not counting on it.
    Crowbait likes this.
    "Those without swords can still die upon them."

Oregon Revised Statutes

§ 166.015¹
    Riot
    (1) A person commits the crime of riot if while participating with five or more other persons the person engages in tumultuous and violent conduct and thereby intentionally or recklessly creates a grave risk of causing public alarm.

(2) Riot is a Class C felony. [1971 c.743 §218]

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Given that the mob is usually only out to steal, and not to assault, I would suggest caution (and knowledge of local laws) in such an event. You are not allowed to use lethal force to defend property in many areas. You cannot use disparity of force in such a situation to justify a shoot, unless you were actually in reasonable fear of gross bodily injury or death.

I've faced angry mobs before. Usually, it is enough that they see that you are armed. We're talking about opportunistic cowards here - which is why they fearfully hide within the group. These are not trained killers. Take up a defendable position, pull your weapon and keep it visible and ready - and watch the crowd part around you like the sea around Moses.
    I agree, most of the time in my limited experience a "visual aid" acts as a very good deterrent. As to the part in bold; could you explain a little more? I have never been crystal clear on what is meant by the qualifier "gross" when referring to bodily harm/death, and I think that the disparity alone should be reason enough to defend myself but, that's just me. Does this mean that the harm has to be to a certain extent or some such thing? If so, I think that is ridiculous as well. Why should I have to be hurt at all before defending myself, why should I have to wait until a certain point is reached? By that time it may be too late to take effective action as the mob may be too close, moving too quickly, etc.
    “A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” --George Washington

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links