Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Violent Flash Mobs in NY

3K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  Rock and Glock 
#1 ·
#9 ·
A teen no. A pack of wild animals, you bet. A broken limb can easily be a death sentence for a person in their late seventies. If the group wants to act like destructive, nuisance animals, they deserve to be treated as such.

#3 ·
Maybe the newsstand workers should keep an assault baseball bat handy?

#5 ·
Can I say what I really want to say without sounding harsh, I didn't think so.

#11 ·
I completely agree, there should be no tolerance for this kind of crap, it's just disgusting. It also proves what little terrorist trash that a lot of our country's youth has become and, they don't receive any consequences most of the time which only emboldens them. As for neutralizing the threat, I personally believe that if 15-40 people (shouldn't matter if they are teens or not) are running you down that they should be unloaded upon, reload and continue until the threat stops or there is no longer a disparity of force. I do, however, wonder and can only slightly imagine the magnitude of the fallout from such an incident. I mean can you imagine seeing in the news that one person shot 10-30 people? Of course the lamestream would emphasize the fact that they were only teens, boo-hoo.
Here's a hypothetical question: What are your guys' thoughts on what would actually happen if someone did defend themselves with a firearm given the posted scenario?

OP, not trying to hi-jack your thread but it's kinda related. :wave:

Reactions: soonershoote
#12 ·
Just a preview of what will occur IMHO should society break down. And these are just the kids. Imagine what older more thoughtful and planful folks will do.

But hey, we don't need guns. We have laws, the police and our politicians to protect us. /sarc Anyway this lends some credence to "...where ever two or more are gathered..." the truth will be revealed.

#13 ·
You think its a coincidence that they target areas/cities that are mostly unarmed??? Say thanks to Mr Bloomberg for your damaged store and broken arm. Where has common sense gone in this country!

#14 ·
If there IS a collapse, this is just a small sampling of what will happen. I wouldn't want to be living in a metro area with 'roaming mobs'.

Reactions: ctr and Hoganbeg
#41 ·
OK so you were able to bang, bang, bang, bang, bang !!! PROTECT yourself with ONLY FIVE BOO-LITS against a rabid-flash-mob of over 20 attacking zombies? :congrats:

There is living proof that we need to BAN all cah lips that hold over five boo lits... :twak:

Thanks A Lot gunfan this is all Dianne Fine Stein needs to find-out-a-boot :blackeye:

#16 ·
The older man was "lucky" he only got a broken arm. He could have been trampled to death. Just because they are teens doesn't mean that they're small. I've seen teenagers who are 6'3 and weigh 280.

This is just disgusting and is getting more common.

I think it depends on what state you live in as to how the courts would view shooting one or two of these kids. If you were actually fearing for your life you might not be charged. I wouldn't shoot unless they were a physical threat.

What would happen if you got a fire extingusher and let them have it with that?

#19 ·
I carry a fire extinguisher in my shoulder holster all the time! ;) If they're attacking, I won't have time to question their motives; six months of psychoanalysis is out of the question.

Everyone wants to excuse them because "they're only teens." The trouble with that is most of the teens perpetrate the thuggery, armed robbery and killing. I wasn't placed on this earth to be their victim. They need to think about what they are doing before they engage in such behavior, or suffer the consequences for their decisions. It is a part of becoming an adult. If there is more than one attacker, my life is in jeopardy. Their parents had best be prepared to visit either the hospital, or the morgue.

Game on.

Scott

#18 ·
Based on the picture it is typical of the people that are committing the majority of crime in my area. I am an armed senior citizen, I don't fight, but I have no hang-ups when it comes to defending myself in an attack by one or 30 hoodlums.

#21 ·
I think we need to get a new law passed.

If you are a part of a flash mob you are a legal target & can be shot on sight.

#24 ·
If I were in a place where this broke out and they're just running around taking stuff and knocking things over, then I'd stay out of the way and hope I have the presence of mind to pull out my phone and record as much as possible. If a mob of 20 - 40 people start physically attacking me, I will defend myself with the appropriate level of force.

#26 ·
This is the Washington Statute

RCW 9A.84.010
Riot.

(1) A person is guilty of the crime of riot if, acting with three or more other persons, he or she knowingly and unlawfully uses or threatens to use force, or in any way participates in the use of such force, against any other person or against property.

(2)(a) Except as provided in (b) of this subsection, the crime of riot is a gross misdemeanor.

(b) The crime of riot is a class C felony if the actor is armed with a deadly weapon.

[2003 c 53 § 91; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.84.010.]

Notes:
Intent -- Effective date -- 2003 c 53: See notes following RCW 2.48.180.

#27 ·
Given that the mob is usually only out to steal, and not to assault, I would suggest caution (and knowledge of local laws) in such an event. You are not allowed to use lethal force to defend property in many areas. You cannot use disparity of force in such a situation to justify a shoot, unless you were actually in reasonable fear of gross bodily injury or death.

I've faced angry mobs before. Usually, it is enough that they see that you are armed. We're talking about opportunistic cowards here - which is why they fearfully hide within the group. These are not trained killers. Take up a defendable position, pull your weapon and keep it visible and ready - and watch the crowd part around you like the sea around Moses.

#30 ·
Given that the mob is usually only out to steal, and not to assault, I would suggest caution (and knowledge of local laws) in such an event. You are not allowed to use lethal force to defend property in many areas. You cannot use disparity of force in such a situation to justify a shoot, unless you were actually in reasonable fear of gross bodily injury or death.

I've faced angry mobs before. Usually, it is enough that they see that you are armed. We're talking about opportunistic cowards here - which is why they fearfully hide within the group. These are not trained killers. Take up a defendable position, pull your weapon and keep it visible and ready - and watch the crowd part around you like the sea around Moses.
I agree, most of the time in my limited experience a "visual aid" acts as a very good deterrent. As to the part in bold; could you explain a little more? I have never been crystal clear on what is meant by the qualifier "gross" when referring to bodily harm/death, and I think that the disparity alone should be reason enough to defend myself but, that's just me. Does this mean that the harm has to be to a certain extent or some such thing? If so, I think that is ridiculous as well. Why should I have to be hurt at all before defending myself, why should I have to wait until a certain point is reached? By that time it may be too late to take effective action as the mob may be too close, moving too quickly, etc.

#29 ·
Oregon Revised Statutes

§ 166.015¹
Riot
(1) A person commits the crime of riot if while participating with five or more other persons the person engages in tumultuous and violent conduct and thereby intentionally or recklessly creates a grave risk of causing public alarm.

(2) Riot is a Class C felony. [1971 c.743 §218]

#31 ·
Looks like justification for use of pepper spray to me; especially if it has the marking dye in it so the cops can round them up later if need be. I'm not sure that would be legal in NYC though; I'm certain it would be philosophically anathema.

#32 ·
The minute I am assaulted by one person in such a mob, I am in fear for my life or serious bodily harm - because the numbers of attackers creates a disparity of force that makes such fear reasonable...

The minute one member of such a mob assaults someone, all in the mob are guilty of assault... Same as if three guys rob a store and one of them shoots the clerk - all are guilty of murder..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#33 ·
My point precisely. An angry mob (or even a "flash mob") can turn ugly in less time than it takes to tell. I don't want to sound bigoted, but the preponderance of these "flash mobs" are usually of black or "counterculture" youth. These little horse's rumps generally don't care about anything but getting attention, or stealing property. The best thing that we can do is thwart their plans and make them pay for their transgressions... in spades!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.