Why we're ultimately going to lose our gun rights

This is a discussion on Why we're ultimately going to lose our gun rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I intuitively knew that we were outgunned in the media, but here are some pretty grim statistics... Big Three Networks Favor Obama Gun Ban Campaign ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Why we're ultimately going to lose our gun rights

I intuitively knew that we were outgunned in the media, but here are some pretty grim statistics...

Big Three Networks Favor Obama Gun Ban Campaign

Without a larger slice of the media either in our camp, or at least reporting the news objectively, we are going to lose some or all of our gun rights. Since the general public can't or won't take the time to educate themselves, they will only parrot back what they read in the media and hear the politicians say.

I am sure that better minds than mine have been scratching for a solution, but so far I can't think of anything short of a major terrorist attack thwarted by armed citizens, as making a case for the RKBA. And, even if this happened, I doubt the media would report it....
    RickyD and AR15VSCoyote like this.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I don't think the media represents the opinions of the majority of Americans.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    The Main Stream Media has a big mouth and no doubt that a lot of Liberals agree with every single thing they say. But, I think the Silent Majority is strong too. We have to keep reminding our Congressmen and Senators of their duty to uphold the Constitution and represent the people who voted them into office.

There are segments of the country that have gone over the cliff and probably will never vote any differently...SanFrancisco and Chicago come to mind. There's still hope for NYC if they vote Bloomberg out next election. If they don't, well...no hope for them either.
    RicT, d2jlking, CLASS3NH and 10 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I don't think the media represents the opinions of the majority of Americans.
    Why was Obama elected? Either the first or the second time...Oh yeah they got rules.. they gotta give equal air time to both sides... yeah that's right... they give 3 minutes to Obama, being all eloquent, and oratorical.... and they give three minutes to the other guy tripping over his shoe laces... yeah, equal time...

And, this country, and it's voting population doesn't want facts, they want brevity... short, little, easy to swallow, even if bitter, pills: sound bites.... and what did the mainstream media give them? Well, let's go to the article:

The study also found that anti-gun soundbites were aired almost twice as frequently as pro-gun bites (228 to 134). Additionally, gun control advocates appeared as guests on 26 occasions, compared to only 7 times for gun rights advocates.
    If the mainstream media didn't represent the majority of Americans, why are their ratings (=viewership) so much higher than those of conservative outlets? They couldn't afford to stay in business.

We (our side) has to buy airtime on the mainstream media... and it's got to make the point in nice little sound bites... and it can't compare O to Hitler, and it has to be very carefully crafted... And we've got to have a voice on the social media outlets that doesn't say "like us @ The conservative, right, only reasonable answer, movement for American patriotism#keep our guns"

And we've got to get some boots on the ground... The left pays for activists.... I've seen ads in local newspapers, in the help wanted section.... really... and they're more prevalent in college towns (for obvious reasons).
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    The Main Stream Media has a big mouth and no doubt that a lot of Liberals agree with every single thing they say. But, I think the Silent Majority is strong too. We have to keep reminding our Congressmen and Senators of their duty to uphold the Constitution and represent the people who voted them into office.

There are segments of the country that have gone over the cliff and probably will never vote any differently...SanFrancisco and Chicago come to mind. There's still hope for NYC if they vote Bloomberg out next election. If they don't, well...no hope for them either.
    This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Why we're ultimately going to lose our gun rights

Conservative media gets lower ratings because it is labeled conservative. Msm is simply labled mainstream. Conservatives are the only ones who call or it liberal media. Who doesnt want to be called mainstream? It's cool to be like everyone else, even it I don't agree with it.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

We need a central voice and a central person to stand up and speak. NRA is fine, La Pierre is OK but isnt very good at speaking or rallying a crowd. He seems kind of wimpy too. We need someone that the average person can identify with and trust. We seem somewhat fragmented and scattered. How do we pull together and come up with a plan? These news agencies find some gun nut job nearby and put him on TV. Not good for any of us when they start screaming.
    oakchas likes this.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

VIP Member

Unfortunately I think you fail to account for two things.

First off, as long as the "silent majority" stays silent, they are completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter what they think, support or oppose as long as 'they' continue to do those things without enough conviction to vote their will. At some point, it becomes too late to start trying to have an effect, because once things have progressed to a certain point, there is little opportunity to go back. Simply look at the mess that most of the EU is in. France, Belgium, Greece, etc. They are all a financial house of cards and there's virtually nothing any of them can do but continue to ignore it and hope that it collapses on someone else's watch.

Secondly, the left has three important stratigies that are very difficult to overcome. Number one, the 'underprivileged' will always fall to the political party that provides for them. This will always be the libs. The 'underprivileged' also propagate their numbers at a higher rate than people who tend to plan their family based on their means to support that family. Number two, the libs also continue to look for ways to import more dependents. The current immigration push is a perfect example. They are balking at the controls and locks to stop illegal immigration but they are pushing for more non-citizens to become voting dependents. Who are those folks always going to support? The hand that feeds them, of course. An third, as they continue to socialize our entire country, they make even the 'silent majority' dependent on them. How many Repubs would find themselves out of a job if any of them proposed taking a hard look at the Social Security system? Even most "conservatives" are only willing to look at the 'hard choices' when those hard choices don't actually hit them where it hurts.

Personally, I tend to agree with the OP. I think we are on borrowed time and have been for decades.

Sorry if my post gets a little off-topic politically but IMO there's no way to effectively discuss the OPs topic without some honest evaluation of our state of affairs.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

As somebody put it (can't remember who) we are arguing with logic, while they are arguing with emotion. You can't win when you are trying to combat emotion with logic....
    BlueHawk76 likes this.

While our enemy (one of 'em in WWII) never said... "We cannot attack the Mainland, there would be a gun behind every blade of grass."
    Nor did he say, "We have awakened a sleeping giant."

Though never said, I can only pray that it is true about us...

And that there will be leadership amongst us that will inspire us to action... People willing to pledge their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor in order to stop this madness... I am not instigating revolution... I am talking resistance. We are already on the defensive... Might as well stay that way... But we had better do a better job than the 49ers did.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    We are NOT going to lose our gun rights, Americans are waking up and want to be heard... our state is trying to push through several anti-gun bills and the hearings are PACKED with pro gun people opposing them, and when I say packed I mean the hearing room is full, overflow rooms are full, and their are people standing in the hallways as far as you can see.

What will cause us to lose anything is if we just sit on the forums and complain about losing our rights.

Write your representatives, call, email, fax, show up if you can... Don't sit there and expect someone else to do it, that someone else is YOU, it matters.

If we start believing this then we've already lost. People who feel that they can't win stop trying to win.

But, people who understand they are falling behind and need to make a comeback redouble their efforts. They develop a plan, follow it, adjust it as needed, and do everything possible to win.

I'm in that second category. I'm making logical appeals and using statistics to provide rebuttal to the "scientific sounding" arguments, replying to emotional articles with similar emotional items (e.g., when people bring-up mass shootings, I ask about far greater number of teenagers, mostly minorities, killed by gang violence in large cities like Chicago, shifting the focus (rightfully) to gangs and illegal drugs. I've given several people NRA memberships and am recommending the NRA and GOA to everyone I know. My plan is to make a difference in the way that is most effective with whatever group I am speaking with.

Just think if each of us had a plan, and spent a little time and money to support and promote our beliefs? The millions of gun owners out there would have a huge impact that could help turn the tides on all of this recent BS. But, everyone needs to realize that we need to get some skin in the game if we ever hope to win.

Too bad they (the White House) won't try to strip the News Media of their voice, like they're trying to strip us of our right to 2Nd Ammendment.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post

First off, as long as the "silent majority" stays silent, they are completely irrelevant.

Secondly, the left has three important stratigies that are very difficult to overcome. Number one, the 'underprivileged' will always fall to the political party that provides for them. This will always be the libs. The 'underprivileged' also propagate their numbers at a higher rate than people who tend to plan their family based on their means to support that family. Number two, the libs also continue to look for ways to import more dependents. The current immigration push is a perfect example. They are balking at the controls and locks to stop illegal immigration but they are pushing for more non-citizens to become voting dependents. Who are those folks always going to support? The hand that feeds them, of course. An third, as they continue to socialize our entire country, they make even the 'silent majority' dependent on them. How many Repubs would find themselves out of a job if any of them proposed taking a hard look at the Social Security system? Even most "conservatives" are only willing to look at the 'hard choices' when those hard choices don't actually hit them where it hurts.
    Yep, no arguement from me here, those points are spot-on.

Question is, how do we turn this around? Is it even turnable at this point?

In order to reach the majority of Obama voters you'd have to offer them something free. That's their motivation...like giving a treat to a dog. Free phones, free birth control, free medical care, free housing etc. Right now the Dems have a lock on it.

Realistically, what can we do except write our reps, support the candidates who represent us and vote. That's where the Silent Majority comes in. If they stay silent, well, we're done.

OP...as for buying TV time...it would have to be in the form of commercials and most of the Libs would just change the channel. Listening to reason isn't their strong point.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Yep, no arguement from me here, those points are spot-on.

Question is, how do we turn this around? Is it even turnable at this point?

In order to reach the majority of Obama voters you'd have to offer them something free. That's their motivation...like giving a treat to a dog. Free phones, free birth control, free medical care, free housing etc. Right now the Dems have a lock on it.

Realistically, what can we do except write our reps, support the candidates who represent us and vote. That's where the Silent Majority comes in. If they stay silent, well, we're done.

OP...as for buying TV time...it would have to be in the form of commercials and most of the Libs would just change the channel. Listening to reason isn't their strong point.
    Honestly, I think that's about all you can do. Plus do what you can to educate your children and their children.

It's hard to turn anyone's views around, but I think it's also good to make rational appeals to all the working class folks that really should support the party that supports the 'working' part of working class. The one huge thing that the conservative viewpoint does offer is the reasonable expectation that what you produce is yours, as opposed to the collectives.

In all seriousness, I will always continue to hope that a Libertarian uprising will occur within the Republican party and cause a lot of attrition from the Dems working class voter base.
    D1omedes and BuckNekkid like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links