My proposed new gun law

This is a discussion on My proposed new gun law within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by phreddy I never said your house was not secure. I am also not suggesting any legal requirements to have a safe. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: My proposed new gun law

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I never said your house was not secure. I am also not suggesting any legal requirements to have a safe. I am only saying that if congress wants to do something that will encourage safety they should offer incentives for people to buy safes. All of the politicians fell like they need to do something. Well, this is something that would not infringe on the 2nd amendment and might actually do some good even if all it does if provide some jobs to safe companies.
    I have to apologize then, maybe I read this thread with the mentality from a previous thread. Encouraging buying a safe with a tax credit is fine with me, I thought you were saying we should be required by law to have a safe in the home.

So, my apologies. :-)

2. Remove Ads

MJK
    It is not the government's business to tell me how I need to store my firearms and a tax credit just means someone else is paying for your safe.
    Zero_, 1MoreGoodGuy and peckman28 like this.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I like the idea of incentives, instead of requirements. We should have the freedom to chose especially what we do in our own homes. If I want to leave my guns laying on the kitchen table with the door unlocked I should be able to. That is retarded and not that I would but just saying. Like (Zero) said my house is already locked. The old saying you catch more fly's with honey, if the government put out incentive programs people would be more likely to do something then if it is mandated. Good posts, If I received a nice tax credit hell yes Id be at the store tonight and buy a nice safe. Not going to cause they tell me to f them! But I am also one of those people that think seat belt and helmet laws are stupid, I wear mine but because I want to and feel safer not cause law says I have to.

How are they giving a tax credit for the gun buy back program. Most folks I see involved in the gun buy back program don't have jobs. Oh wait, what was I thinking, you don't need a job to qualify for a tax refund.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I think there's a similar idea circulating in congress right now.... $1000.00 tax credit... if you turn in your gun to a local official "gun buy back program."
    Generally the "final" tax credit amount is based on the actual value of the gun you turn in.
    ...T. Ray

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJK View Post
    It is not the government's business to tell me how I need to store my firearms and a tax credit just means someone else is paying for your safe.
    I didn't not mention it in the OP, but it should be a non-refundable tax credit. Only get back up to what you pay in. I am against refundable tax credits on general principle. They are not tax credits but welfare. A non-refundable tax credit does not mean someone else is paying for your safe. It means you pay less in taxes because you did something the government approves of. I am all for less money in Washington.

I would like to suggest that congress pass a law giving tax credits for gun safe purchases from manufacturers in the US. This could add some jobs while also helping citizens to properly store their firearms. Seems like a win-win to me.
    I proposed this idea 2 weeks ago on a liberal blog I'm on and the liberals thought it was insane. They saw it as gun owners being subsidized by tax money to do something they should be required to do in order to own a gun anyway. You can't please those people.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would like to suggest that congress pass a law giving tax credits for gun safe purchases from manufacturers in the US. This could add some jobs while also helping citizens to properly store their firearms. Seems like a win-win to me.
    Why in the world would you want the federal government to pay you (tax credit) to register yourself with a government agency (IRS) as a gun owner who purchased a gun safe?
    lionround likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

MJK
    I didn't not mention it in the OP, but it should be a non-refundable tax credit. Only get back up to what you pay in. I am against refundable tax credits on general principle. They are not tax credits but welfare. A non-refundable tax credit does not mean someone else is paying for your safe. It means you pay less in taxes because you did something the government approves of. I am all for less money in Washington.
    I understand the difference between these credits. But if you get a safe and your tax bill is reduced in the ptocess then the revenue must be lost to the government and collectively that amount gets added to the national debt which is a public liability. I do not believe the tax code should be used to motivate behavior. It should only be used to raise revenue for primary purposes such as defense and general welfare (roads, government operating costs, basic research, etc.).
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    Why in the world would you want the federal government to pay you (tax credit) to register yourself with a government agency (IRS) as a gun owner who purchased a gun safe?
    Good point. Anyone who is concerned with the IRS knowing you are a gun owner would have the option not to apply.

If you've gone through a NICS check to buy a gun, they already know.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I would certainly take this over anything coming out of the current administration. However, it is not the proper role of the federal government to encourage you to behave better or do anything else aside from simply raising revenue through the tax code. This is an example of "soft paternalism", and as such I wouldn't be ok with it. The entire notion of tax "incentives" for any sort of economic behavior has caused all kinds of problems, and is illegitimate. The only federal reforms on guns that should happen in direct response to what has happened should be the repeal of the Gun Free Schools Act. It won't create utopia, but it would be an acknowledgement that the law has not done what was intended, and therefore its existence is unjustified. Bonus: it would cost the taxpayers nothing.
    phreddy likes this.

Good point. Anyone who is concerned with the IRS knowing you are a gun owner would have the option not to apply.
    But, it would be voluntary. Right now, there's no tax deduction and there's no real way of getting a tax deduction without declaring that you've purchased a gun. So, "tax credits with registration" would be an incentive. Honestly, it would be a fairly hefty one. Of course, it would not target those who we actually would prefer to not have a gun, but what can you do? You'd have to make it a non-refundable tax credit to really motivate people in lower tax brackets.
    Mental illness incidents are used to threaten gun rights.
    The March of Dimes headed off the Universal Iron Lung coverage debate, just sayin'.
    Alternately, for those with a toolshed and ideas.

I would have an option to not apply for the credit but what if the IRS requires that everyone must fill out an IRS form at the time of the sale so that the IRS has recorded documentation that links every gun safe purchase with the purchaser so that they can verify each and every claim on anyone's tax filling? What if the seller is required to file paperwork for each and every transaction?

Why do you need a "tax credit" in exchange for making a purchase of a storage device for your own personal use for your own personal property?

Should we have a "tax credit" for your beer cooler too?

Then we should mandate that all beer coolers must have locks, after all, it's for the safety of the children.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    I would have an option to not apply for the credit but what if the IRS requires that everyone must fill out an IRS form at the time of the sale so that the IRS has recorded documentation that links every gun safe purchase with the purchaser so that they can verify each and every claim on anyone's tax filling? What if the seller is required to file paperwork for each and every transaction?

Why do you need a "tax credit" in exchange for making a purchase of a storage device for your own personal use for your own personal property?

Should we have a "tax credit" for your beer cooler too?

Then we should mandate that all beer coolers must have locks, after all, it's for the safety of the children.
    The IRS already administers energy efficient credits for windows, efficient heating and cooling.... You apply for the credit on you tax return using the appropriate form and keep the records of your purchase with your tax records. The IRS receives nothing unless you get audited. Then they get to see your proof.

I understand that you don't like the idea, but there is no need to get hyperbolic about it. Beer cooler? What does that have to do with anything?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links