No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

This is a discussion on No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The 2013 Virginia General Assembly convened in Richmond on January 11th, and will adjourn on February 23rd. “Crossover,” is the date by which each house ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DaveH

Thread: No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

VIP Member

Thumbs up No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

The 2013 Virginia General Assembly convened in Richmond on January 11th, and will adjourn on February 23rd.

“Crossover,” is the date by which each house must complete work on and pass its own bills (except for budget legislation) and forward them to the other house for their consideration. This year "crossover-day was February 5th.

As no bad gun bills made it out of the originating house, they are dead for this year.

More:

House and Senate hurry to pass bills at midpoint deadline - dailypress.com

Gun control

In the wake of the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., Democrats in both chambers put forward gun control measures, including an assault weapons ban; a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines; and universal background checks for gun purchases.

All failed in the committee process.

Senate Democrats and Republicans worked to find a bipartisan compromise on dealing with the "gun show loophole" that allows private sellers to sell firearms without background checks at the events. Licensed firearms dealers at gun shows are required to run the checks, but vendors who are unlicensed but set up retail booths are not.

A last-minute proposal that would have made background checks for private sellers voluntary at gun shows put together by Sen. John Edwards, D-Roanoke, and Sen. Bill Stanley, R-Franklin County, failed dismally in committee.
    Last edited by DaveH; February 6th, 2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Found newspaper item & added it
    Tzadik and joker1 like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

If anyone in S.C. is trying to pass any bad gun laws,it must be top secret.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

The 2013 Virginia General Assembly convened in Richmond on January 11th, and will adjourn on February 23rd.

“Crossover,” is the date by which each house must complete work on and pass its own bills (except for budget legislation) and forward them to the other house for their consideration. This year "crossover-day was February 5th.

As no bad gun bills made it out of the originating house, they are dead for this year.

GREAT NEWS, DAVE! Happy for you.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Great to hear that VA is being sane and not just jumping on the anti bandwagon. Cooler heads need to prevail, and I predict they will, in most states.

VCDL is VERY active and effective. Anything happens in VA they're right on top of it. Thanks Dave, SigPapa, and other VCDL members. You guys rock!!

VIP Member
    Awesome job, great news! We get to keep our rights for another year.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Awesome job, great news! We get to keep our rights for another year.
    At the State level, in any case.

I was fairly optimistic for this year -- as I posted at More anti-gun bills go down in the Virginia session...

As a personal observation / opinion, I think the main thing we have going for the pro-freedom side, in Virginia, (at this point) is that 2013 is an important election year for Virginia. The leadership of both parties are pulling out all the parliamentary tricks to keep their members in the various close / un-assured / at-risk districts from having to go on record about what will likely be a divisive issue in the elections. IMHO, this year it is mostly about protecting their numbers in the House of Delegates. On odd numbered years, all 100 seats in the House of Delegates are up for grabs, for two-year terms. Not much controversial / decisive tends to get a floor vote in odd number years.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Re: No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

So did the "Gun show loophole" bill lass? The article isn't clear
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    I think this is the bill you are talking about.
    HB2025 Patron: Patrick A. Hope - all patrons

Sale of firearms; penalty. Requires a background check for any firearm purchase and requires the Department of State Police to establish a process for sellers to obtain such a check from licensed firearm dealers. A seller who fails to obtain such a check and sells the gun to any other person is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

VCDL is showing that it was left in committee (killed).

Reference VCDL website for Legislative action: VCDL's 2013 Legislation Tracking Tool
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

good deal.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROFL SQUAD View Post
    ...failed dismally in committee.
    I repeat, "No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline" and "As no bad gun bills made it out of the originating house, they are dead for this year."

Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Re: No bad gun bills survived Virginia's cross-over day deadline

Good to hear!
    If you're going to carry one weapon, might as well carry two, because as the saying goes, "Two is one, and one is none."

"Liberals can decline or whine, but I will still carry and conceal mine." - Cold Warrior. Excellent quote good sir!

Links