Brits try their hand at gun registry, ballistic fingerprinting

This is a discussion on Brits try their hand at gun registry, ballistic fingerprinting within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6086258.stm Police launch gun crime strategy Criminal gangs often pass guns to one another A new gun crime strategy in England and Wales has been ...

Thread: Brits try their hand at gun registry, ballistic fingerprinting

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Brits try their hand at gun registry, ballistic fingerprinting

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6086258.stm

Police launch gun crime strategy

Criminal gangs often pass guns to one another
    A new gun crime strategy in England and Wales has been launched by the Association of Chief Police Officers.
    Keith Bristow, chief constable of Warwickshire, revealed plans for a new database on guns used in crimes.

It means detectives will be able to find out if a gun or ammunition was used in an earlier crime within 24 hours rather than waiting weeks.

The National Ballistics Intelligence Programme will be run from centres in London, Birmingham and Manchester.

Officers will be able to submit recovered guns, shells or bullets to the units, which will then use forensic techniques to match them to earlier crimes.

Firearms used by criminals are very mobile

Dr Bob Golding

Dr Bob Golding, programme manager for the 5m unit, said officers would have access to vital information much more quickly.

"Firearms used by criminals are very mobile, they are passed between gangs and perpetrators.

"This is not a local issue, it is a national issue and this is a national solution."

Mr Bristow said there had been a recent fall in gun crime, backed up by Home Office figures which showed it decreased by 8% between June 2005 and June 2006.

Young people shot

He added: "Gun crime is an awful, corrosive problem. [But] the fear of gun crime is disproportionate to the reality."

The announcement follows high profile murders of young people.

Jesse James, 15, was shot three times with a semi-automatic handgun in Manchester and 19-year-old Dean Myles was shot dead outside a Bristol nightclub in September.

We're not an armed police service and my colleagues don't want to be armed

Jan Berry, Police Federation

Jesse, who police believe was killed as a result of mistaken identity, was buried on Tuesday.

Greater Manchester Police described his death as a "watershed moment".

Jan Berry, chairwoman of the Police Federation, told BBC Five Live officers were concerned about what they see as a low numbers of firearms officers.

Ms Berry said: "We're not an armed police service and my colleagues don't want to be armed, but they don't believe we have enough firearms officers.

"We've only got about just over 5% of our officers carry firearms, and with the number of incidents which are involving guns today, I do question whether that's enough."

Social problems

She said a new firearms database, which would allow information to be shared across the country, could be part of the solution.

But she said it was also vital to tackle social issues and work with those who see firearms as a sign of power and esteem.

"Clearly you can't just all the time meet power with power because that does not solve the underlying problems," she said.

"We clearly need to have police officers who are properly armed and able to deal with situations.

"However, behind that you have to have the police service working with the public and with the communities and for us to build a greater trust between the communities and the police."

Police are also reportedly considering creating a special unit to focus on the most dangerous gun criminals in the country.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

blech...I feel sick

Police launch gun crime strategy. Criminal gangs often pass guns to one another . Officers will be able to submit recovered guns, shells or bullets to the units, which will then use forensic techniques to match them to earlier crimes.
    Which still means one thing: chasing the problem, instead of heading it off "at the pass."

To keep someone from crossing a field, a force will mine the field. Similarly, to "mine" the public with well-trained and prepared folks willing to defend themselves and their families against all criminals would go a long way toward helping criminals to immediately find themselves in extremely hostile and terminal territory. Nothing else I've ever heard of will do the same.

This thing with "ballistic fingerprinting," high and mighty though it sounds? Guns will be passed around more frequently. Guns will be stolen more frequently. A cottage industry of underground arms manufacturing will really take off. Where there's no will, the criminals will find an easy way. Where there's a will, criminals will find it harder. Choose harder.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Another good way to squander resources methinks. It really is time problems were tackled with more logic and less ''feelgood''.

Maybe they should have a chat with the powers that be in MD to find out what a riotous success ''ballistic finger printing'' can be!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I don't understand

I thought guns were banned, so what guns are they supposed to be tracking? How can the criminals have guns if they already banned them? That would be illegal.

Oh, wait a minute.......

Lew

Say it isn't so! The gun brabbers are screaming about your blasphemy even now... Now like the kid with a stick poking the frog, ask them again where did the crooks get the guns.

I bet there are more guns buried and hidden in Ireland than in safes around New England! Bone heads. They will never get it will they.
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

Senior Moderator
    The problem will never get better.

The mindset of the cops is clearly not what it should be. They dont "want to be armed". They dont want to wake up to the reality that they NEED to be armed. As long as they possess that mindset, things will stay hosed up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Waste...

of words, time, and money...

'Nuff said...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links