Another case for LEO in schools

This is a discussion on Another case for LEO in schools within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This was on news today: another case of no telling what would have happened. Just another reason to put LEO in school. Thankfully gun wasn't ...

Thread: Another case for LEO in schools

This was on news today: another case of no telling what would have happened. Just another reason to put LEO in school. Thankfully gun wasn't loaded... go figure.

Officials: Ex-student brings gun to school | www.wsbtv.com

From the article:

"Principal Dan Sims said a 16-year-old former student came into the school's gym Friday around 4 p.m., and a resource officer in the parking lot spotted him.

“He noticed the kid first. He radioed ahead. A teacher saw him. He started running. A counselor saw him and by that time, less than two minutes, we apprehended this young man,” Sims said."

Now that's how it should be done. Yes, this is a perfect example of the need for armed "resource officers" in schools.
    Last edited by SmokinFool; February 6th, 2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

This is the "common sense" sort of solution this nation needs.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

I don't think it's a common sense solution to put law enforcement in our schools and people much more intelligent than myself seem to agree:

"Do we really believe government can provide total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected, disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided security? Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. We shouldn’t settle for substituting one type of violence for another. Government role is to protect liberty, not to pursue unobtainable safety."
    -Ron Paul, December 2012

ECOMINOES: Ron Paul On Sandy Hook And Gun Control

Quote Originally Posted by Clodbert View Post
    I don't think it's a common sense solution to put law enforcement in our schools and people much more intelligent than myself seem to agree:

"Do we really believe government can provide total security? Do we want to involuntarily commit every disaffected, disturbed, or alienated person who fantasizes about violence? Or can we accept that liberty is more important than the illusion of state-provided security? Government cannot create a world without risks, nor would we really wish to live in such a fictional place. Only a totalitarian society would even claim absolute safety as a worthy ideal, because it would require total state control over its citizens’ lives. We shouldn’t settle for substituting one type of violence for another. Government role is to protect liberty, not to pursue unobtainable safety."
    -Ron Paul, December 2012

so what's your solution?
    do nothing and hope for the best?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

We "did something" after 9/11 and got the TSA.

I just think we should consider the long-term ramifications of more government security before automatically jumping to the conclusion that a stronger law enforcement presence in our schools is exactly what we need to fix the problem.

I just think we should consider the long-term ramifications of more government security before automatically jumping to the conclusion that a stronger law enforcement presence in our schools is exactly what we need to fix the problem.

When you have a solution let me know. We have had deputies in our schools as far back as 1977 with 0 incidents of any shootings. Is it perfect no, nothing ever is however is it not better than having no one in them?
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

OK, another study...........
    and while we're studying (and who knows how much time and money that will take), what shall we do to fix the problem?
    "I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"

If armed guardians at schools killed a few "would be" mass murderers, you'd see it stop. It is too harsh a reality for the dems, but it is fact.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

-Ron Paul, December 2012

Not really sure what you are trying to say here but what I am saying CLEARLY is: I have no issue with my neighbor, who happens to be a POST certified law enforcement officer, walking around the halls in his duty uniform with his equipment in place, including his duty weapon and 3 BUG's if he so chooses. These are my children and if giving up the right to never see an armed LEO in their school might possibly save them from some sort of horror, I am all for it and can't understand why anyone would feel differently.
    I am from Ga. and was born at a time that still recalled what was termed at that time "The Late Unpleasantness". I come from a family with a very proud military tradition who have stood their ground to protect their rights and liberty for generations.

I don't really see Mr. Paul's correlation when he applies his Libertarian philosophy to this particular subject.

I simply don't see this as giving up anything, what Mr. Paul advocates is giving up our children to the whims of fate because he somehow feels threatened by a police officer who would stand in front of children and stop an insane person from killing them ???? I listen to him and sometimes think, "Now that makes sense." Too bad the next words out of his mouth usually take away all his credibility.

Links