Arkansas Senate passes bill to make gun-permit records private

This is a discussion on Arkansas Senate passes bill to make gun-permit records private within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-senat...023120056.html The Arkansas bill, which passed the Senate 24-9, now moves to the state House of Representatives, which is also controlled by Republicans. Governor Mike ...

Thread: Arkansas Senate passes bill to make gun-permit records private

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar

http://news.yahoo.com/arkansas-senat...023120056.html

The Arkansas bill, which passed the Senate 24-9, now moves to the state House of Representatives, which is also controlled by Republicans. Governor Mike Beebe, a Democrat, has said he opposes the bill because it restricts the state's Freedom of Information Act.

I don't really agree with the Gov. Nice to see my state is taking action against this nonsense of people wanting to produce sensitive, personal records for political and malicious intent.

"Governor Mike Beebe, a Democrat, has said he opposes the bill because it restricts the state's Freedom of Information Act."

FOIL applies only to public records. How exactly does this restrict FOIL if the records become private? It doesn't restrict FOIL at all, simply reclassifies the information as private. They would no longer fall under the access granted under FOIL. So, my question would be why does Gov Beebe want this information to remain public? What's his motive???

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    "Governor Mike Beebe, a Democrat, has said he opposes the bill because it restricts the state's Freedom of Information Act."

FOIL applies only to public records. How exactly does this restrict FOIL if the records become private? It doesn't restrict FOIL at all, simply reclassifies the information as private. They would no longer fall under the access granted under FOIL. So, my question would be why does Gov Beebe want this information to remain public? What's his motive???

I guess he feels the reclassification would be unconstitutional. Funny, i feel it's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I guess he feels the reclassification would be unconstitutional. Funny, i feel it's the other way around.
    There's nothing unconstitutional about it, and I have no doubt he's aware of that. It appears to me that his wanting to keep these records public is part of a bigger political agenda.

Sponsored Links