Answer from Senator Cantwell

This is a discussion on Answer from Senator Cantwell within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Received this answer to my expression of support for the 2nd amendment. It has all the talking points in it, and of course the new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Answer from Senator Cantwell

Received this answer to my expression of support for the 2nd amendment. It has all the talking points in it, and of course the new buzzwords "common-sense gun laws". It's about what I expected. Senator Cantwell pretty much follows the Dem party line on most everything.

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on gun ownership and violence prevention. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama announced a series of legislative proposals and executive actions intended to reduce gun violence. I applaud the President's efforts to close gun purchase loopholes and to create new tools for further background checks.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate assault weapons (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain military-style, semi-automatic weapons, and makes it illegal to produce, import, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently awaiting further debate and review.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, including our most vulnerable citizens, our children. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will encourage those suffering from mental illness to seek needed care and support. Mental health care is a critical component of our healthcare system and an individual's overall health status. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, approximately one in 17 Americans suffers from a seriously debilitating mental illness. I care deeply about mental health care and understand the important role behavioral health services play in the lives of both those who suffer from mental illness and their family and loved ones.

Thank you again for contacting me to share your thoughts on this matter. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator

Sounds just like my Representative. Party Line.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Need to find another Senatorial candidate, and spend some money getting them elected. This one is a LOSER.
    lchamp likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Same old BS and IMO sounds as if he would throw our gun rights under the bus in keeping with party lines.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Apparently, she supports the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians except for those who own AR or AK rifles or who have a firearm with a magazine capacity greater than ten rounds.

All you other law-abiding Washingtonian gun owners are safe until some more "common sense" gun laws are proposed.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers.
    Unless they are buying from a licensed dealer at that gun show. It is not a gun show loophole... it is a private sale/transfer "loophole"

And either his sentence is very poorly crafted, it is intentionally deceptive. I think it's the latter, myself.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    On the bright side, you know exactly where she stands. Now it is time to get her replaced.

Lindsey Graham gave me a wishy-washy answer that could go either way. I honestly believe he will be in favor of universal background checks but he won't come out and say it.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    On the bright side, you know exactly where she stands. Now it is time to get her replaced.
    Unfortunately, easier said than done here. The metro Seattle area votes overwhelmingly lock-step liberal, and the population of the greater Seattle area is greater than the entire population of the rest of the state. We are stuck with the tail wagging the dog here :-(

At least we have good concealed-carry laws. Always a bright side :-)

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    As usual, I applied the Google BS-To-English Translator:

Thank you for your futile effort to contact me and gripe about a topic upon which my mind is already made up. I appreciate hearing from you because it lets me know that you're still alive and can be taxed.

As you know, on January 16, 2013, President Obama surrounded himself with children for dramatic appeal and sympathy, and announced a series of egregious proposals and a pretty thorough trampling of the 2nd Amendment. He even threatened executive actions because holding his breath until he turned blue in the face didn't work the last time. I applaud the President's efforts to also infringe the rights of law-abiding citizens who attend gun shows. It gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) introduced a bill to regulate semi-automatic weapons which have less power than the typical hunting rifle (S. 150) on January 24, 2013. The proposed legislation bans certain weapons just because they look scary to her, sort of like mirrors. This proposed legislation makes it illegal to produce, import, covet, hot wax, spit upon, or sell magazines with capacity over ten rounds. This is the miracle fix we've all been waiting for, because changing a magazine requires a hydraulic jack, tie-down straps, and three friends to help. The bill has been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where it is currently referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee, because that's what they do, by jiggety.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban, the Brady Bill, Hillary Clinton's Senatorial campaign, pocket lint, and the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to working with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence, since criminals shiver in their boots at the thought of their activities being made illegal. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow law-abiding citizens to gain access to firearms, contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which I think is some sort of fancy new hula hoop, but I'm not sure. I'll check on that. Lastly, I believe I really like lemon pie. There's just something about it.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians to own exactly what I dictate, which is barely enough firepower to bring down a charging chipmunk. I also remain focused on addressing the deeply troubling violence in this country and making our state and our country as safe as possible for all people, which explains my misguided gun control mindset. I believe both of these goals are important and can be simultaneously accomplished through common-sense gun laws and stricter enforcement of existing laws. And if all else fails, I'm already talking to the Easter Bunny and wishing upon a star.

Along with addressing gun violence, making services for the mentally ill and their families more accessible will discourage law-abiding gun owners from seeking help for even the most minor of stresses, knowing that it might cost them their 2nd Amendment rights. Mental health care is a critical component of our attempt to wipe our rear ends with the U.S. Constitution. Those folks in the white suits treated me just fine, in fact. I care deeply about mental health care since insanity runs in my family.

Thank you again for contacting me to basically beat your head against the wall. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future so I can taunt you some more.

Sincerely,
    Maria Cantdoanythingwell
    United States Senator
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

^5 roflmao
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Send your senator this,

IBGoodToGo likes this.

Yeah, she needs to be replaced, but the Dems in the greater Seattle area are in love with her and Murray.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Unless they are buying from a licensed dealer at that gun show. It is not a gun show loophole... it is a private sale/transfer "loophole"

And either his sentence is very poorly crafted, it is intentionally deceptive. I think it's the latter, myself.
    Yep. Politicians are glad to use terms like "gun show loophole" because people who hear it and don't know exactly how the process works will believe that any and all transactions at gun shows fall under this "loophole." This is one of the reasons we must try to educate people. Some of them just won't get it but there are many who, once they understand what is really going on, will decide that they are more pro gun than they realized.

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    Received this answer to my expression of support for the 2nd amendment. It has all the talking points in it, and of course the new buzzwords "common-sense gun laws". It's about what I expected. Senator Cantwell pretty much follows the Dem party line on most everything.

In the past, I supported the original Assault Weapons Ban and the Brady Bill, as well as the Youth Handgun Safety Act of 1993, which prohibits juveniles from possessing or receiving handguns. I look forward to work with my colleagues in the Senate to strengthen responsible legislation to rein in gun violence. We need to work to close the loopholes in existing laws that allow criminals and children to gain access to firearms contrary to the law's intention. One example is the well-known "gun-show loophole" which allows people to purchase firearms at gun-shows without undergoing the background check required when guns are bought from licensed dealers. Lastly, I believe we must support increased gun-safety and gun-use education.

I support the Second Amendment and the rights of law-abiding Washingtonians who own guns.

A
    Sincerely,
    Maria Cantwell
    United States Senator
    Talk about your classic oxymoron

We had a worthless trio representing us. Dicks Cantwell & Momma in Tennis shoes P Murray. For what they represent we might as well be in Kalifornia! Dicks figured he was rich enough on kickbacks after 30? years & got out. I doubt what the idiots here elected is any better. Rant Over...
    RemMod597 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links