What Is The Difference Between Compromise and Sell-out?

This is a discussion on What Is The Difference Between Compromise and Sell-out? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Depends on who you are having the conversation with: Senators seek deal on gun-sale background checks - Yahoo! News...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: What Is The Difference Between Compromise and Sell-out?

VIP Member

Depends on who you are having the conversation with:
    Senators seek deal on gun-sale background checks - Yahoo! News
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

With our rights, there is no difference.
    CharlesMorri likes this.

When it comes to our 2A rights, any compromise is a treasonous sell out.
    dV8r and CharlesMorri like this.

There is no compromise...

com·pro·mise /ˈkämprəˌmīz/

Noun
    An agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

Verb
    Settle a dispute by mutual concession.

What are they conceding? What? We give up UBCs... They give up what? Oh, they give up taking more, for now.

UBCs are as onerous to us as Constitutional National Reciprocity (if you can legally own a gun, you can carry it) with no restriction, would be to them... I MIGHT CONSIDER that to be a compromise.
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    There is no compromise...

com·pro·mise /ˈkämprəˌmīz/

Noun
    An agreement or a settlement of a dispute that is reached by each side making concessions.

Verb
    Settle a dispute by mutual concession.

What are they conceding? What? We give up UBCs... They give up what? Oh, they give up taking more, for now.

UBCs are as onerous to us as Constitutional National Reciprocity (if you can legally own a gun, you can carry it) with no restriction, would be to them... I MIGHT CONSIDER that to be a compromise.
    Yes, giving up something while gaining nothing is not a compromise. It seems as though our side is fighting to hold ground, not gain it.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

I posted this a few weeks ago in a different forum, but it fits pretty well here, I think.

Some food for thought:

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for the truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty...who solves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. In that transfusion of blood which drains the good to feed the evil, the compromiser is the transmitting rubber tube...When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute." - John Galt
    peckman28 and KBSR like this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    I posted this a few weeks ago in a different forum, but it fits pretty well here, I think.

Some food for thought:

"There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil. The man who is wrong still retains some respect for the truth, if only by accepting the responsibility of choice. But the man in the middle is the knave who blanks out the truth in order to pretend that no choice or values exist, who is willing to sit out the course of any battle, willing to cash in on the blood of the innocent or to crawl on his belly to the guilty...who solves conflicts by ordering the thinker and the fool to meet each other halfway. In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win. In any compromise between good and evil, it is only evil that can profit. In that transfusion of blood which drains the good to feed the evil, the compromiser is the transmitting rubber tube...When men reduce their virtues to the approximate, then evil acquires the force of an absolute." - John Galt
    Those are what I would regard as excellent analogies. Great post.
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    No difference both are unacceptable.
    DontTreadOnI likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah, I'm not willing to compromise a thing, when it comes to my rights. NOPE, no sale here. If it has to be all or nothing, let's have that fight.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    No difference both are unacceptable.
    Exactly. While they have their differences, we can't afford either right now.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Yes, giving up something while gaining nothing is not a compromise. It seems as though our side is fighting to hold ground, not gain it.

We're not even fighting to hold ground... Well, we are. But our elected reps? Not so much. They're fighting for us to lose less ground... and there's a HUGE difference.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Tell the gun grabbers to pound sand!
    Eagleks likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Tell the gun grabbers to pound sand!
    I could state it even more concisely, but not here.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Sell-out - one side loses

compromise - both sides lose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Sell-out - one side loses

compromise - both sides lose
    Except the antis lose nothing either way.
    Eagleks likes this.
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links