Virginia: Urgent Action Item 2/8 -- Re: disclosure of CHP holders ID info

Virginia: Urgent Action Item 2/8 -- Re: disclosure of CHP holders ID info

This is a discussion on Virginia: Urgent Action Item 2/8 -- Re: disclosure of CHP holders ID info within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL] ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virginia: Urgent Action Item 2/8 -- Re: disclosure of CHP holders ID info

VIP Member

Thumbs up Virginia: Urgent Action Item 2/8 -- Re: disclosure of CHP holders ID info

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

Urgent Action Item: Let's protect the private information on ALL CHP holders!

Great news!

Last night the Militia, Police and Public Safety subcommittee #1 approved a substitute bill for Senator Obenshain's SB 1335. As you might recall, SB 1335 prohibited the Clerk of Court from giving out any information on a CHP holder who has a protective order out against somebody.

The substitute is much better - it exempts ALL permit holders from having their information disseminated by the Circuit Court Clerks! No more newspapers printing the names and other information on permit holders, endangering lives!

The new bill makes it even safer for those with protective orders, as they don't have to do anything extra to protect their information - they (and you and I) are all covered 24/7!

Even the Circuit Court Clerk's professional organization likes this bill.

I want to thank Board member Dennis O'Connor for filling in for me at the subcommittee hearing (I was in Craig County with the shooting range issue).

This morning the full Militia, Police and Public Safety committee met and passed the bill out to the Floor by an 11 to 4 vote.

(As a side note, Andrew Goddard told the full committee that what they did in subcommittee to change the bill was "underhanded." That did not go over well, especially since the change was done openly and in the normal fashion in subcommittee. Goddard had decided not to attend last night's subcommittee hearing. That's his fault, not the subcommittee's fault. Delegate Lingamfelter took Goddard to task, saying that the subcommittee was simply doing business as usual and that Goddard's beef would be better summed up as simply not liking the substitute bill. Goddard finally gave half an apology, but I believe even his allies on the committee were embarrassed.)

NOW THE WORK BEGINS!

We need to get an email out urgently to our Delegates to make sure they support this important bill!

Click here to send a pre-written (but editable) email to your Delegate (takes a few seconds to do):

VCDL's "Write Your Legislators" Tool
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Thanks.

Already Done.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

Good job Virginia!

VIP Member
    Very good work!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

VIP Member
    Excellent. Note sent.

I can't help but think the NY debacle helped this much needed protection along.

VIP Member
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Current Status - Sat 2230 Hours
    Should the General Assembly pass a bill to close off public access to records of all concealed-handgun permits?
    Yes 73% (460 votes)

No 26% (161 votes)

Not sure 1% (5 votes)

Total votes: 626

Keep Voting.
    Ten Bears: It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men.

VIP Member
    Daily Press: Virginia's handgun permits could be concealed Crime & Legal Issues Notebook - dailypress.com

-----

Update: The following comment was posted by a fellow VCDL EM:

Do your homework. This goes further than the Roanoake Times and a NY paper. This is happening MONTHLY at both the Stafford Co. Sun, AND the Chatham Star-Tribune. I have also had complaints about the Buchannon Co. Voice, the Fredricksburg Freelance Star, the Altavista Journal, and the South Hill Enterprise. I have been collecting physical copies of newspapers ever since the vote last year, referenced in this article. The reason that Sen. Norment voted against the privacy bill is because Va. Press Assn. rep. Ginger Stanley got up and swore that Va. newspapers were not doing this. I HAVE A TWO INCH THICK STACK OF NEWSPAPERS THAT PROVE THAT SHE WAS LYING THROUGH HER TEETH. Too bad that you don't have to take an oath to speak before the G.A. Newspapers ARE doing this, it is an invasion of privacy, it sets law abiding citizens up for burglary, and it has to be STOPPED. On Friday, I met with Sen. Obenshain's aide, and provided him wirth copies of the infractions sent to me. I further volunteered to drop what I was doing at a moment's notice, should the Conference Committee need to see it with their own eyes. This ridiculous behavior is not long for this world. We'll be back until we get it fixed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How will this go? Extension to other situations – such as release of CHP info?

High court asked to decide whether parking ticket info invades privacy - UPI.com

Privacy invasion on a parking ticket?

WASHINGTON, Feb. 10 (UPI) — A little noticed privacy case, seemingly insignificant but with large implications on how Americans actually live, is simmering away at the U.S. Supreme Court like a pot of hot coffee.

At issue is the personal information put on parking tickets in thousands of communities across the country, in this case the Village of Palatine, Ill., a suburb of Chicago.

SNIP
    Last edited by DaveH; February 10th, 2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: added update
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Daily Press now has a poll up on Handgun Permits info being public -- towards the bottom of the page.

Hampton Roads news, information, weather, hurricane coverage, sports, entertainment, restaurants, real estate, jobs, business, classifieds - dailypress.com
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Voted

I don't really care. (8 responses) 4%

I don't know. I need to know more about the issue. (11 responses) 6%

No. It should be no one's business except for the government on who is allowed to carry a concealed weapon. (126 responses) 65%

Yes. The public should be allowed to know who could possibly be carrying a concealed weapon. (48 responses) 25%

193 total responses

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good news -- More Urgent Action needed

This House amendment by substitution is a much broarder bill -- proving coverage of everyone, not just folk with CPHs who also have protective orders. SB 1335H1 protects CHP information from dissemination for ALL permit holders.

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and “PVC” reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

GOOD NEWS!

Senator Obenshain's SB 1335, which protects CHP information from dissemination for ALL permit holders, has PASSED the HOUSE today via a 76 to 23 vote!

The bill now heads to the Senate, where the vote will be much tighter. We need every single vote we can get!

** If you want the protections this bill offers you from seeing your name and address in your local newspaper or your address being given to a violent ex-spouse, you MUST do the action item below.**

Do NOT take your Senators vote for granted either way.

URGENT ACTION REQUIRED NOW!

We need to send a message our Senators in support of SB 1335 immediately. To do so, simply click here:

LET'S ROLL!
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc. (VCDL).

VCDL is a non-partisan grassroots organization dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: http://www.vcdl.org
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member

Thumbs up Things looking up for SB 1335 tomorrow!

[Re-posted from a VA-ALERT with prior approval of VCDL. First person singular pronouns (I, my, mine, etc) and PVC reference Philip Van Cleave, President VCDL]

First, here is a blow-by-blow report on yesterday's successful pro-liberty vote in the House to pass the SB 1335 substitute (Senator Obenshain's bill to protect concealed handgun permit information from being given out to the public by the courts).

The bill was carried on the House Floor by Delegate Todd Gilbert for Senator Obenshain.

Delegate Toscano, no friend of gun owners, immediately tried to get the bill struck by claiming the change from protecting CHP holders with protective orders to all CHP holders was not germane. The Speaker, Delegate Bill Howell, considered the motion and VERY IMPORTANTLY ruled that the substitute bill was indeed germane. I was watching the proceedings on my computer and finally was able to take a breath. ;-)

Anti-liberty Delegate Joe "Finger on the trigger" Morrissey then made a series of attempts to discredit the bill, all of which Delegate Gilbert and Delegate Lingamfelter batted down. Anti-liberty Delegate Eileen Filler-Corn also tried to discredit the bill.

In the end, it cleared the House Floor handily with a BI-PARTISAN vote with all the Republicans supporting the bill and some of the Democrats (some who supported the bill may surprise you!)

That important bi-partisan vote is a good sign for its chances in the Senate, tomorrow.

Voting with gun owners:

Albo, Anderson, Bell, Richard P., Bell, Robert B., Bulova, Byron, Cline, Cole, Comstock, Cosgrove, Cox, J.A., Cox, M.K., Crockett-Stark, Dudenhefer, Edmunds, Fariss, Farrell, Garrett, Gilbert, Greason, Habeeb, Head, Helsel, Hodges, Howell, A.T., Hugo, Iaquinto, Ingram, Joannou, Johnson, Jones, Kilgore, Knight, Krupicka, Landes, LeMunyon, Lewis, Lingamfelter, Loupassi, Marshall, D.W., Marshall, R.G., Massie, May, Merricks, Miller, Minchew, Morefield, Morris, O'Bannon, O'Quinn, Orrock, Peace, Pogge, Poindexter, Purkey, Putney, Ramadan, Ransone, Robinson, Rush, Rust, Scott, E.T., Sherwood, Stolle, Tata, Torian, Villanueva, Ware, O., Ware, R.L., Watson, Webert, Wilt, Wright, Yancey, Yost, Mr. Speaker

Voting against gun owners:

BaCote, Brink, Carr, Dance, Filler-Corn, Herring, Hester, Hope, James, Keam, Kory, Lopez, McClellan, McQuinn, Morrissey, Plum, Scott, J.M., Sickles, Spruill, Surovell, Toscano, Tyler, Watts

--

IF YOU DIDN'T DO THIS YESTERDAY OR TODAY THERE IS STILL TIME TO DO IT - THE VOTE IS TOMORROW

We need to send a message our Senators in support of SB 1335 immediately. To do so, simply click here:

↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Sent another email

I've sent mine and am readying for another round - my Delegate (Farrell) voted for it already. It's back to the Senate now for a vote. I am hoping my Senator (Reeves) will vote for it also. On another note while I am not surprised at his vote against it, I am wondering what reason Delegate Morrissey has for voting against the protecting the privacy of someone holding a CCW considering they have had some training and a background check before being approved for the permit? For those who were not aware Joe Morrissey caused a stir in the State House in January by bringing an AK-47 and brandishing it with his thumb inside the trigger guard. I am thinking of emailing or getting a response by calling (since I am not his constituent) fo his reasoning. If there is anyone who is his constituent will you question his reasoning also? I will post any response I receive or not.

Success - now awaiting Governor.

Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: VCDL - Commonly Used Abbreviations
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

VICTORY! YOU DID IT!

The Senate has just agreed to the House version of Senator Obenshain's SB 1335!

The bill will now head to the Governor's desk. If he signs SB 1335, then the private information of all CHP holders will be kept private and not be given to the press or anyone else (except police while in the performance of their duties).

It passed by a massive margin of 31 to 9!

Our next step will be to contact the Governor. I'll get back on that and I will advise who supported gun owners and who voted against us shortly.
    -------------------------------------------
    ************************************************** *************************
    VA-ALERT is a project of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    (VCDL). VCDL is an all-volunteer, non-partisan grassroots organization
    dedicated to defending the human rights of all Virginians. The Right to
    Keep and Bear Arms is a fundamental human right.

VCDL web page: Virginia Citizens Defense League | Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself [http://www.vcdl.org/]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links